having a lab print my digital panorama file

Old March 23rd 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default having a lab print my digital panorama file

For the first time I'm thinking of having a lab print some digital
files for me. Up till now, I've done them all myself, but now I have
some big panoramas that my printer can't handle. The requirements of
the lab have me a bit confused, however, and I'm hoping someone here
can help.

The lab states digital files must be set to the size and resolution
you want, along with any borders you want included. They say the
easiest way to do this is in Photoshop under "image size." According
to their explanation, all they do is open up the file and press
"print." I have a panorama file that was scanned at 1200 resolution
and is saved as a .tiff file of approximately 75 megabytes. I want my
photo printed at 6.3" x 21.1". Does this mean that I need to change
my image size to this setting in Photoshop for them to print it at
this size? When I do this, it changes my 75 megabyte file into a 553
megabytes giant. This seems a bit excessive, but since I've never
sent anything to a lab for printing before, maybe this is typical?

Btw, I've sent an e-mail to the lab to ask them this same question,
but I haven't heard back yet. That's the reason I'm asking it here.

Old March 23rd 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 3/22/06 5:58 PM, in article ,
"William_T" wrote:

[...]

When you say that your file was scanned at 1200 resolution do you mean 1200
dpi? If so, that is a very low resolution scan and may not result in very
high print quality. With the file opened in Photoshop you will want to look
in the image size dialog box and see how many pixels per inch (that is PPI
not dpi) your image contains at its current size. Then with the resample
box UNchecked change your long dimension to 21.1" and again look at how many
ppi that you have. If, at that length you have 240 ppi or better you
probably have sufficient quality to produce an acceptable print. If you are
close to but below that figure you can probably check the resample box and
insert a higher ppi number and up-sample your image. If you are quite a bit
below 240 up-sampling will not be a very satisfactory solution. As far as
file size is concerned 553 MB is not all that large for an uncompressed pano
file.
Chuck

Old March 23rd 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Try http://www.automatedphototechnology.com/

They have made some panos for me.

www.alldigital.fotopic.net

Old March 23rd 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

[...]

Well, I have to admit that I've always been confused by the
interchangeability of terms when people refer to DPI and resolution.
I should say that when I scanned the negative, I scanned it at "1200
dpi" setting under "resolution." When I opened it up in Photoshop, as
you suggested, I find that the pixels per inch is listed as 1200.
When I change the long dimension to 21", it changes my pixels per inch
to 395.143. It sounds like my quality should be just fine if I'm
understanding your e-mail correctly because my ppi is well above 240.

My main thing was I just wasn't sure what I had to do to make sure I
had the image set up so it would print to the correct size at the lab.
I never have to do this when I print at home. I scan a negative (or
take an existing digital photograph), open it up in Photoshop, tell
Photoshop I've got 8x10 paper loaded, and then drag the picture to
whatever size I want on the paper and hit print. This whole idea of
pre-sizing a picture for the lab was sort of foreign to me. Now that
I know 553 MB is not unusual for an uncompressed pano, I won't worry
so much.

Old March 23rd 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

William_T wrote:
[...]

I'm not entirely sure I read this correctly but your post seems to indicate
your 553 MB file is 6.3"x 21.1" at 1200 dpi. Is that right?

If it is, you only need a 300 dpi file for a print lab to return a high
quality print. The resize proceedure should be setting the dpi and size to
achieve the final file. 1200 dpi is unreadable by most printer's. If you
sent that dense a file to your home printer, the driver altered the size
before sending to the printer so it would have worked that way but for a
lab, only 300 or 350 dpi image.
--
www.photosbydouglas.com
www.weprint2canvas.com

Old March 23rd 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I'm not entirely sure I read this correctly but your post seems to indicate
your 553 MB file is 6.3"x 21.1" at 1200 dpi. Is that right?

If it is, you only need a 300 dpi file for a print lab to return a high
quality print. The resize proceedure should be setting the dpi and size to
achieve the final file. 1200 dpi is unreadable by most printer's. If you
sent that dense a file to your home printer, the driver altered the size
before sending to the printer so it would have worked that way but for a
lab, only 300 or 350 dpi image.

As I said in a previous post, I've always been a bit confused by the
whole DPI thing, so I apologize if my post didn't make the best sense.
My scanner software gives me the option of setting "resolution" listed
in "DPI." I've scanned these 2.25" x 7" negatives at 1200 dpi, which
gives me a .tif file of approx. 70 MB. The lab tells me I have to set
the size I want them to print before I send the file, they tell me to
do this in Photoshopimage size. I want them to print the image at
6.3" x 21.1". When I set the image size to these measurements in
Photoshop, my file size jumps up to 553 MB and a pixels per inch of
about 390. According to one poster, this is a normal size for an
uncompressed pano. Hope this all makes sense now. I think I have it
figured out in any case.

Old March 23rd 06, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:44:10 -0800, William_T
wrote:

[...]

As I understand it, your source negative is 2.25" x 7" and was scanned
in at 1200 DPI, for a pixel size of 2700x8400 in the resulting digital
file. You want to print it at 6.3"x21.1". I'm assuming you are
cropping the image, as a 3x "magnification" of a negative 2.25"x7"
would result in a print 6.75"x21", which you could achieve by reducing
the resolution (DPI) /3 (from 1200 to 400).

So... You don't want or need to actually "resize" this file!

Changing only the DPI (and not resizing) to ~398 (398.104265) will
make it print out at 21.1" wide without changing the pixels in the
fils and thus the FILE SIZE will not change. You will just be
changing the encoding in the file that tells the printer what DPI and
thus what print size you want these 2700x8400 pixels printed at. You
do this in Photoshop by going to:

Image - Image Size

and then *unchecking* the box that says "Resample Image". You will
see that the boxes for changing the pixel size disappears. Then enter
the print dimensions, and Photoshop automagically changes the
resolution figure to whatever is the correct DPI to spread your pixels
out the right amount to produce the print in the desired size.

You should only resample a digital image when you don't have enough
pixels to produce a good image at the desired size. Anything over 300
is sufficient for prints in the 6"-12" range so the ~398 you get by
changing the DPI is plenty for this print. If you wanted to print it
out at ~18 inches x ~63 inches, THEN you would want to consider
resampling as your un-resampled image would print out at ~133 DPI and
that might result in some noticable pixel effects in your print.

jc

Old March 23rd 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 3/22/06 7:13 PM, in article ,
"William_T" wrote:

[...]

At 395+ ppi your pano should print out just fine. Just save a copy at that
size and resolution to send to the lab. You could even make it longer than
21" if you wanted to.

Old March 23rd 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:12:41 -0800, JC Dill wrote:

As I understand it, your source negative is 2.25" x 7" and was scanned
in at 1200 DPI, for a pixel size of 2700x8400 in the resulting digital
file. You want to print it at 6.3"x21.1". I'm assuming you are
cropping the image, as a 3x "magnification" of a negative 2.25"x7"
would result in a print 6.75"x21", which you could achieve by reducing
the resolution (DPI) /3 (from 1200 to 400).

So... You don't want or need to actually "resize" this file!

snip

Thanks for taking the time to explain this in a way I can understand!
I'm actually not cropping, I was just pulling the approximate size
from my head. I guess "resize" is another term I probably don't know
how to use correctly. I used it because the lab said I needed to make
sure the photo was "set" to whatever size I wanted it printed at. I
just knew that when I went to the "image size" selection, it told me
my 59.4 MB file was 6.9" x 1.9" (or something like that). When I
changed it to 21" x 6.75", my file size jumped up to 500 MB+. I
figured this meant I was actually resizing since my file size changed
by so much. Anyway, again, thanks for taking the time to help me
understand what I was doing.

Old March 23rd 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 05:53:57 -0800, William_T
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:12:41 -0800, JC Dill wrote:

As I understand it, your source negative is 2.25" x 7" and was scanned
in at 1200 DPI, for a pixel size of 2700x8400 in the resulting digital
file. You want to print it at 6.3"x21.1". I'm assuming you are
cropping the image, as a 3x "magnification" of a negative 2.25"x7"
would result in a print 6.75"x21", which you could achieve by reducing
the resolution (DPI) /3 (from 1200 to 400).

So... You don't want or need to actually "resize" this file!

snip

Thanks for taking the time to explain this in a way I can understand!

You are very welcome!

I'm actually not cropping, I was just pulling the approximate size
from my head.

The math is really easy if we assume you want the final image printed
21 inches wide and that you aren't cropping. All you need to do is
change the resolution to tell the printer that instead of printing it
a 2.25" x 7" at 1200 DPI it should print the image as 6.75" x 21" at
400 DPI. The actual *file size* won't change at all.

You could also tell the printer you want it printed at 9" x 28" at 300
DPI. Again, the actual file size doesn't change, just the resolution
instructions to the printer.

I guess "resize" is another term I probably don't know
how to use correctly.

It doesn't help that photoshop uses "resize" to do two totally
different functions which can be very confusing if you don't
understand how these functions act. One function changes the file
size (that's what happens when "resample image" is checked). The
other function just changes how the printer is told to print the image
(changing the print size).

I used it because the lab said I needed to make
sure the photo was "set" to whatever size I wanted it printed at. I
just knew that when I went to the "image size" selection, it told me
my 59.4 MB file was 6.9" x 1.9" (or something like that). When I
changed it to 21" x 6.75", my file size jumped up to 500 MB+. I
figured this meant I was actually resizing since my file size changed
by so much.

If the file size changes you ARE resizing. But you don't NEED to
resize. You just need to reset the DPI, which changes the "effective
print size" without changing the actual "file size". If you change
the actual file size you will be degrading the image. If you change
the DPI you aren't touching the image pixels themselves, just changing
the instructions for the printer software about how closely to print
them.

Anyway, again, thanks for taking the time to help me
understand what I was doing.

Good luck!

jc