15 Minute vs Eneloop

Old December 8th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

Default 15 Minute vs Eneloop

Has anyone switched from either Duracell or Energizer 15 minute AA
rechargeables to the Eneloop.

Why did you switch and are you satisfied with the change. I know that the
15 min loose their charge to some extent over a short time but in just 15
minutes you are ready to go where the Eneloops hold their charge unused
longer but take a day to charge and have 20% less capacity on a full
charge.

For those who did not switch and are using one or the other what has been
your experience?

For one thing when you place a set of Duracel 15" in a flash light fully
charged (unused) they will deplete themselves in about 1 to 2 months.

I also bought a set of Duracel 15" from Staples, charged them full and
placed them in a MS mouse. It went dead in 4 days. I exchanged them at
the store claiming they were defective and the new set is fine. It seems
that you need to test each pair. I have had to exchange about 25% of the
Duracels due to not holding a charge very long.

Once proven I have not really had an issue except they do not hold a
charge in a flash light for much over a month.

Maybe I should use Eneloops for that purpose.

Anybody know if you can use a Duracel 15" charger to charge an eneloop?
Old December 8th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"measekite" wrote in message
news
[...]

You can use any NiMh charger to charge Eneloops, one or two hour chargers
would be perfectly fine.

Old December 8th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

measekite wrote:
[...]

Your MS mouse might need a full 1.5v rather than the approximate 1.2v
that Nimh cells provide. I haven't tried any rechargables in my MS
wireless mouse, but I get about 5 months from alkalines.
Allen
Old December 8th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles[_2_]

"measekite" wrote in message
news
Has anyone switched from either Duracell or Energizer 15 minute AA
rechargeables to the Eneloop.

Eneloops are working well here in several applications. For example, I use
them in my 550EX flash and they always ready to go. I have read that they
can be recharged in any Ni-MH charger.

Old December 9th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen Smithee

"measekite" wrote in message
news
[...]

For flash I use Energizer lithium's, which seem pretty good and light
(although not rechargeable). That said, I would be interested to know how
low self discharge batteries like the Eneloop's perform in comparison.

I used to use Duracell NiMH rechargeable at work, but they were a nightmare
for holding charge. Like you I thought they were defective, but no matter
how many sets I tried they wouldn't hold their charge. I also found that
the cold killed them (not proper cold, still above freezing). If I charged
them ready for the next day and left them in the car overnight, I would only
get a couple of minutes of charge out of them when I went to use them (even
after a long journey in the car, where they would have been warmed up).

Speaking of batteries, you need to be careful if you leave them in a device
that you hardly use, as they can leak/corrode over time (well at least with
Alkalines, not sure about NiCd, NiMH or Li-ion).

Old December 9th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

measekite wrote:
Has anyone switched from either Duracell or Energizer 15 minute AA
rechargeables to the Eneloop.

Why did you switch and are you satisfied with the change. I know that the
15 min loose their charge to some extent over a short time but in just 15
minutes you are ready to go where the Eneloops hold their charge unused
longer but take a day to charge and have 20% less capacity on a full
charge.

A day? On YOUR charger, maybe, but on mine, they charge in about 3
hours, faster if not completely discharged (to the point where my camera
low battery warning comes on). It is possible to charge them in 1.5
hours, with a suitable charger, but faster charging isn't a good idea.

For those who did not switch and are using one or the other what has been
your experience?

I have yet to NEED to recharge my Eneloop batteries.
nn

Old December 9th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack Torrence

"measekite" wrote in message news
Has anyone switched from either Duracell or Energizer 15 minute AA
rechargeables to the Eneloop.

Why did you switch and are you satisfied with the change. I know that the
15 min loose their charge to some extent over a short time but in just 15
minutes you are ready to go where the Eneloops hold their charge unused
longer but take a day to charge and have 20% less capacity on a full
charge.

A day to charge? You clueless idiot - go back to trolling the printer newsgroup.
Old December 9th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 05:44:29 -0800 (PST), ransley wrote:

Why did you switch and are you satisfied with the change. *I know that the
15 min loose their charge to some extent over a short time but in just 15
minutes you are ready to go where the Eneloops hold their charge unused
longer but take a day to charge and have 20% less capacity on a full
charge.

. . .

Eneloops dont take 24 hrs to charge, 15 min charge is hard on a
battery, my charger is the slow type 1-2 hrs. I put them in a camera
and now dont worry 3 months later that they work. I never tried
Duracell but Sanyo and Energiser are fine, I went to eneloops because
my batteries were old and were about dead every time I needed them.

Most 15 minute chargers will charge any NiMH cells very quickly
with one exception. I believe that RayOVac introduced the first 15
minute charger and it relied on proprietary batteries to be able to
get its fast charge rate. If standard RayOVac AA cells were used in
it, or AA NiMH cells from any other manufacturer, the charge rate
dropped drastically to little more than a trickle charge rate, and I
wouldn't be surprised to find that today's higher capacity NiMH
cells, even Eneloops could take the better part of a day to charge.
Of course the claim was made by the measecritter, and anything he
says is suspect.

Old December 9th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 08:22:42 +1100, Pete D wrote:

"measekite" wrote in message
news
[...]

How about the Duracell 15 minute charger to charge Eneloops?
Old December 10th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

would be perfectly fine.

How about the Duracell 15 minute charger to charge Eneloops?

Any charger that charges that fast is not recommended unless you absolutely
had no other choice.