Help scanning negatives, please!

Old December 1st 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
iamcanadian

Default Help scanning negatives, please!

I have an Epson 3490 scanner.(3200x6400- 48 bit) I realize it is not a
dedicated film scanner. However, how can I adjust the settings so that
I could get a decent 8x10, or am I dreaming? (I can't afford a REAL
film scanner, unless someone has a suggestion for one under say $500?)
I am a newbie to film scanning so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old December 1st 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Cisco Kid

iamcanadian wrote:
I have an Epson 3490 scanner.(3200x6400- 48 bit) I realize it is not a
dedicated film scanner. However, how can I adjust the settings so that
I could get a decent 8x10, or am I dreaming? (I can't afford a REAL
film scanner, unless someone has a suggestion for one under say $500?)
I am a newbie to film scanning so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I bought a Minoltya Dimage II film scanner - scans 35mm negs and slides
- think I picked it up for under $250

Here's a link to your Epson and it mentions in the 1st paragraph that
is scanns photos and film:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...p?oid=53540928

Old December 1st 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
rafe b

"iamcanadian" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have an Epson 3490 scanner.(3200x6400- 48 bit) I realize it is not a
dedicated film scanner. However, how can I adjust the settings so that
I could get a decent 8x10, or am I dreaming? (I can't afford a REAL
film scanner, unless someone has a suggestion for one under say $500?)
I am a newbie to film scanning so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Nikon Coolscan V is $549 brand new from BH Photo.

If that's too pricey, check out the Pacific Image film
scanners (www.scanace.com) or a used machine from
eBay. There's also the Plustek 7200 for around $200.

Life's too short to be scanning 35 mm with an Epson.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old December 1st 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ric Trexell

"iamcanadian" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an Epson 3490 scanner.(3200x6400- 48 bit) I realize it is not a
dedicated film scanner. However, how can I adjust the settings so that
I could get a decent 8x10...

Imacanadian: Your question is open to a lot of questions. I have an old
Epson 2450 scanner and have been very pleased with the scans that I got with
it. The first question is how do you know it is the scanner and not the
printer? Just exactly what is decent mean to you? How do we know the
slides were sharp in the first place? I don't think you will get a good of
a print as the slide being printed by a regular wet method at a pro slide
printing place using silver based materials. Or for that matter a pro
digital printing place. However I have 8 X 10's of the family on my fridge
that are very good. They were from a negative but I have nearly as good of
scans with slides as negatives. Again, it comes down to what you find
exceptable and what the machine delivers. I would have the slide scanned by
a pro shop and compare it to that to see where the problem is. Ric in
Wisconsin.

Old December 1st 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

iamcanadian wrote:
I have an Epson 3490 scanner.(3200x6400- 48 bit) I realize it is not a
dedicated film scanner. However, how can I adjust the settings so that
I could get a decent 8x10, or am I dreaming? (I can't afford a REAL
film scanner, unless someone has a suggestion for one under say $500?)
I am a newbie to film scanning so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

You can get a new Nikon CoolscanV ED for about $600 from Ritz Camera,
probably less from Adorama or such. B&H shows it currently out of stock.

I have a CoolscanIV ED and it's more than adequate for 8x10.

Even better would be a Coolscan LS-5000, LS-8000 or LS-9000 although
you'd have to find a real bargin on a used one to have any chance of
fitting your budget. The LS-8000/LS-9000 will handle medium format film
in addition to 35mm.

A quick search at KEH for "Coolscan" turns up an EX+ (used) CoolscanIV
ED for $339, and a new CoolscanV ED for $549.

http://www.keh.com/
Old December 1st 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Väinö Louekari

iamcanadian wrote:
I have an Epson 3490 scanner.(3200x6400- 48 bit) I realize it is not a
dedicated film scanner. However, how can I adjust the settings so that
I could get a decent 8x10, or am I dreaming? (I can't afford a REAL
film scanner, unless someone has a suggestion for one under say $500?)
I am a newbie to film scanning so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

What it decent for you? You certainly get enough pixels but the problem
is elsewhere. Most flatbeds use the same lens for prints and
slides/negs. The lens is made for scanning prints, or pages of magazines
or whatsoever. And that lens is just not good enough for something as
small as a 35 mm slide. On a typical flatbed the capability to scan 35
mm slides/negs is more of a marketing plot than a really useful feature.
Simply put: there is a reason why a flatbed with slide scanning
capability costs 100 dollars and a slide scanner starts from 500.
Flatbed is just not up to it.
I know, I started scanning my slides with a good flatbed. Then I got a
Nikon Coolscan V ED. There is a huge difference in quality.
So, if you are even a bit serious about scanning 35 mm do yourself a
favour and get a film scanner. Because sooner or later you will get it
anyway and then you will have to rescan everything you did with a
flatbed (yes, I had to).

Väinö Louekari
Old December 1st 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

iamcanadian wrote:
I have an Epson 3490 scanner.(3200x6400- 48 bit) I realize it is not a
dedicated film scanner. However, how can I adjust the settings so that
I could get a decent 8x10, or am I dreaming? (I can't afford a REAL
film scanner, unless someone has a suggestion for one under say $500?)
I am a newbie to film scanning so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

As others have said you will be happier with a dedicated film scanner.
I don't know much about Epson 3490 but I know my Epson 1650 can do
slides and negatives, but so poorly that there is not point in it. I
know there is no way I could get a decent 8 x 10 print from scanning
35mm film on my flat bed. I use a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III, which
is not a high end scanner at all but it produces much sharper scans
then my flat bed and can make a pretty good looking 8 x 10 print.

Scott

Old December 1st 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Väinö Louekari

Väinö Louekari wrote:
iamcanadian wrote:

[...]

You may, or may not, ask what is better quality. No noise, not even in
the darkest shadows. None. Much better tonal separation in the
highlights and in the shadows. Significantly better overall sharpness. A
lot better sharpness.
As for money, well, I saved for two years for my Coolscan. My best buy
ever.

Väinö Louekari
Old December 2nd 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
AAvK

As others have said you will be happier with a dedicated film scanner.
I don't know much about Epson 3490 but I know my Epson 1650 can do
slides and negatives, but so poorly that there is not point in it. I
know there is no way I could get a decent 8 x 10 print from scanning
35mm film on my flat bed. I use a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III, which
is not a high end scanner at all but it produces much sharper scans
then my flat bed and can make a pretty good looking 8 x 10 print.

Scott

That scanner is good because it has a DMAX of 4.8, meaning dark slides will
look "normal", film gets no thicker than 3.9. I bought one too, it is "the good
deal" scanner on eBay.

--
})))* Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com