Scanning 126 and 110 negatives

Old January 27th 05, 10:08 AM
Terry Tomato

Default Scanning 126 and 110 negatives

Hello!

I've got some 126 and 110-format negatives that I need to find a way of
scanning...

Does anyone have any bright ideas about how to scan these formats? I
already have a 35mm-capable scanner (Canon CanoScan 4200F), but
ham-fisted attempts I've made to construct a mask for it haven't been
particularly satisfactory.

If anyone knows of a particular scanner model that can scan 126 and 110
negatives, or knows of a ready-made mask I could use with my existing
scanner, it'd be much appreciated!

Cheers!
Terry
Old January 27th 05, 02:11 PM
The Wogster

Terry Tomato wrote:
Hello!

I've got some 126 and 110-format negatives that I need to find a way of
scanning...

Does anyone have any bright ideas about how to scan these formats? I
already have a 35mm-capable scanner (Canon CanoScan 4200F), but
ham-fisted attempts I've made to construct a mask for it haven't been
particularly satisfactory.

If anyone knows of a particular scanner model that can scan 126 and 110
negatives, or knows of a ready-made mask I could use with my existing
scanner, it'd be much appreciated!

Sure it's called a slide mount, if you have a mask for slides, just get
some 126 and 110 sized slide mounts, that are 2"x2" in exterior
dimensions, you should get self sealing ones, so that you don't need an
expensive slide mounter, mount the negatives in the slide mounts, then
scan away using your regular slide scanning mask. You may need to crop
the scans back to the image size.

Old January 28th 05, 05:48 AM
Ted

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:08:14 -0800, Terry Tomato wrote:
Hello!

I've got some 126 and 110-format negatives that I need to find a
way of scanning...

Does anyone have any bright ideas about how to scan these formats?
I already have a 35mm-capable scanner (Canon CanoScan 4200F), but
ham-fisted attempts I've made to construct a mask for it haven't
been particularly satisfactory.

If anyone knows of a particular scanner model that can scan 126 and
110 negatives, or knows of a ready-made mask I could use with my
existing scanner, it'd be much appreciated!

126 should be no problem, at least physically. The film is 35mm wide
and should fit into a standard film holder. The frame is 28x28mm,
meaning the top might get cropped a bit. The likely difficulty will
involve getting a good image from a scan of old film that will likely
have faded. If the negative is older than 1973, it'll be on C-22 film
which started out with a denser orange mask and different color balance
than current films.

110 is more difficult. The only scanner I know of for which an official
16mm film holder exists is the very expensive Nikon Coolscan 9000. The
optional film holder costs over $300. There's a diagram for a paper
mask in a photo.net forum post at
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=008Xj7
This is for 9.5mm Minox negatives, but I see no reason you can't
enlarge the width of the opening to accommodate 13x17mm 110 negatives.
I haven't tried it myself, since almost all my 110 film is slides.

The only other approach I can think of is to locate some 110 slide
mounts. Then you can cut up the negatives you want to scan, mount them
individually, and scan them in a 35mm slide holder. If your scanner's
software can't handle negatives in slide mounts, Vuescan can. GEPE
still makes 110 slide mounts, but they have glass windows that I
suspect will interfere with scanning. If you have access to a large
photo store that's been around a while, they might have some 110-size
cardboard mounts in a closet somewhere, as those haven't been made
since the 1970s. There just aren't many other options.

Good luck.
---
Non-spam e-mail: usenet{AT}tedsimages{dot}com
Visit my Virtual Light Table: http://www.tedsimages.com
Travel, scenic, and fine art photography

Old January 28th 05, 05:14 PM
Rod Smith

Terry Tomato writes:

I've got some 126 and 110-format negatives that I need to find a way of
scanning...

Does anyone have any bright ideas about how to scan these formats? I
already have a 35mm-capable scanner (Canon CanoScan 4200F), but
ham-fisted attempts I've made to construct a mask for it haven't been
particularly satisfactory.

If anyone knows of a particular scanner model that can scan 126 and 110
negatives, or knows of a ready-made mask I could use with my existing
scanner, it'd be much appreciated!

I've scanned both types of negatives. For 110 negatives, I used a
Polaroid SprintScan 35. This is an old model (you can pick them up on
eBay for about $25-$75) that uses an unusually simple carrier. I was able
to create a custom 110 carrier out of a couple of pieces of cardboard,
with holes cut out for the frames and taped together. This solution
worked well, within the limits of the Polaroid's capabilities.

I'm sure I could have done the same thing for the 126 negatives, but by
the time I got around to those, I'd gotten a Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite
5400. What I ended up doing for most of the 126 negatives was to scan
them in the standard 35mm carrier. Because the 126 negatives are the same
height (or width, depending on the strip's orientation) as 35mm
negatives, they fit physically in the 35mm carrier, but the inter-frame
spacing is off and the tops of the frames are cropped. Most of the photos
I wanted to scan were framed too high, so cropping off the top wasn't a
big deal. As to spacing, I just did them two at a time, ejecting the
carrier and re-aligning the negatives between frames. For the few frames
that had important stuff at the top, I either cut the negative strip into
single frames and inserted them sideways (cropping one side or the other)
or I scanned them on an Epson RX500 flatbed with a transparency feature.
Because I did this without a carrier, I got some odd moire patterns, but
that was better than having peoples' heads cut off. (Obviously, none of
these were high art, just family snapshots from the '60s and '70s.)

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Old January 29th 05, 10:12 PM
Paul Coen

Minolta's Dimage Scan Multi line (the original, the II and the Pro) support
16mm as well. They're not cheap either, it's another option, especially if
you run across a used unit.

Old January 30th 05, 03:14 AM
Ted

On 27-Jan-05 23:48, Ted wrote:

110 is more difficult. The only scanner I know of for which an
official 16mm film holder exists is the very expensive Nikon
Coolscan 9000. The optional film holder costs over $300. There's
a diagram for a paper mask in a photo.net forum post at

I have a page on my Web site discussing my experiences with scanning
110 film (mainly Kodachrome slides, but I also discuss negatives). It's
at http://www.tedsimages.com/text/scan110.htm It's one of the most
popular pages on my site, and most of the queries that take people to
it are some variation on "scanning 110 negatives."

This suggests that the demand for 16mm film holders on scanners is much
greater than scanner manufacturers realize. The Pocket Instamatic and
its competitors were very popular cameras for snapshooters in the 1970s
and 1980s, and many people have collections of fading negatives in that
format. Perhaps it's worth contacting Nikon and Minolta (who else makes
film scanners these days?) and letting them know about it.

---

Old February 9th 05, 12:41 PM
Terry Tomato

Terry Tomato wrote:
Hello!

I've got some 126 and 110-format negatives that I need to find a way of
scanning...

snip

Just wanted to say thank you very much to those who answered my original
query. It all proved very helpful and the scanning is now done.

Cheers
Terry
Old March 14th 05, 12:06 PM
Al Doyle

Terry

Fold an index card in half, in the middle make a 110 format
size hole, by cutting it out with an Xacto knife. Now trim the
edges so that the whole thing fits in your scanners film holder.
Enjoy!!

Subminiature lives!!

Al Doyle