The Shoot-In

Old July 21st 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_15_]

Default The Shoot-In

* Helen wrote :
I think a worthy subject to discuss is the SI. I applaud everyone who
was in charge of running it so well and especially the founding
members.

I don't agree that lack of participation was the result of the wars on
the group. The SI is an individual entity.

I believe everyone would hate to see Jim go and if he is calling it
quits, then I agree with Paul when he asked if any responsible person
is willing to pick up the torch.
I'd like to hear ideas about what you feel could be improved, changed,
etc. Anything to help resuscitate the SI.
Helen

I have some ideas that I've posted here recently, and some more
since. I'll repeat them here to centralise the SI discussion if
you like.

I found it hard as an amatuer/hobby photographer to balance my
personal life and a themed shoot as well. Even with a month-long
submission period.

I was thinking it would be easier or perhaps draw more people
in if the Shootin had broader mandates. I know the mandate
themes are open to interpretation and only fairly loosely adhered
to. But maybe if it's taken back to basics. Composition.
Lighting. Textures. Patterns. Colour. What do you reckon?
Nothing wrong with recycling old themes. It's all about
generating photos and discussion, isn't it?

And I don't think there's anything wrong if they just cycle
through maybe a half dozen different topics - especially if the
submissions are monthly. Maybe once a year there could be a
special mandate to throw in some interest, but at least there
wouldn't be any pressure to come up with a topic.

I think a part of what slowed it down was suggestions for
mandates. The above would get rid of that problem.

Another idea would be to increase the audience and therefore
submissions. Not sure, but I think it was mainly rpe35mm group?
What if it broadened into rec.photo.digital and
rec.photo.digital.slr or something? Not sure if there are more
relevant photo groups, those are the only ones I frequent.

Also, when posting discussions about it in groups, put [SI] or
some other tag first in subject header to make it stand out.

Whoever runs it must be neutral. Just accept the entries and
upload them.

Then after due date, comment in groups - must have [SI] etc,
maybe [SI-critique] or something to stand out in subject. Then
the person running it collates the critiques and could perhaps
attach them to the actual gallery of submissions for centralised
future reference.

I realise it would be hard to discern critiques from out-and-out
sledging/flames. And one person's definition of critique would
differ from another. Guess there'd have to be general consensus
and trust of the admin.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Troy Piggins