AA filter removal possible?

Old March 17th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

Default AA filter removal possible?

Is it possible to remove the anti-alias filter from a DSLR sensor, as
it's sometimes possible to remove the IR cut filter?

This is for a special technical application, not general purpose
photography; I'm aware of the purpose of the AA filter.

Thanks.
Old March 17th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

On Mar 17, 10:54 pm, Paul Rubin wrote:
Is it possible to remove the anti-alias filter from a DSLR sensor, as
it's sometimes possible to remove the IR cut filter?

This is for a special technical application, not general purpose
photography; I'm aware of the purpose of the AA filter.

Thanks.

Seems that they can do this:
http://www.maxmax.com/hot_rod_visible.htm

Old March 17th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

"acl" writes:
Seems that they can do this:
http://www.maxmax.com/hot_rod_visible.htm

This is fantastic, thanks.
Old March 17th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com writes:
I'm not sure after looking at the pictures from the "hot rod 5D" if this mod
is really worth it. What is that funny looking thing in the bottom right of
the 5D image?

Not sure which you mean. There are several images. Do you mean "Area 1",
the weird gray blob in the no-AA image that shows as a wider gray area
in the AA image? I'm not sure what to think of that, but the stuff I
want to shoot won't have anything like that.
Old March 17th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 17 Mar 2007 11:54:28 -0800, Paul Rubin
wrote:

Is it possible to remove the anti-alias filter from a DSLR sensor, as
it's sometimes possible to remove the IR cut filter?

Didn't Kodak's last high resolution DSLRs omit the AA filters?
Not that you'd be too interested in their low sensitivity sensors.
Old March 18th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com writes:
I'm not sure after looking at the pictures from the "hot rod 5D" if this
mod
is really worth it. What is that funny looking thing in the bottom right
of
the 5D image?

Not sure which you mean. There are several images. Do you mean "Area 1",
the weird gray blob in the no-AA image that shows as a wider gray area
in the AA image? I'm not sure what to think of that, but the stuff I
want to shoot won't have anything like that.

I'd be more concerned about the moire-like effect on the side of the air
conditioner in area 3...

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old March 18th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

acl wrote:
On Mar 17, 10:54 pm, Paul Rubin wrote:
Is it possible to remove the anti-alias filter from a DSLR sensor, as
it's sometimes possible to remove the IR cut filter?

This is for a special technical application, not general purpose
photography; I'm aware of the purpose of the AA filter.

Seems that they can do this:
http://www.maxmax.com/hot_rod_visible.htm

Scammers. Anytime people start misrepresenting the effect of AA
filters you know that they're more interested in screwing people out
of $450 than they are in providing a needed service.

--
Ray Fischer