Why Nikon should upgrade the D300

Old October 18th 12, 06:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Why Nikon should upgrade the D300

On 2012-10-17 21:27:23 -0700, Rob said:

On 18/10/2012 12:30 PM, Trevor wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message
Or are we still talking about Fx lenses and claiming they lose size
and
weight when added to a Dx body? :-)

compared with the equivalent lens for FX, sure, FX needs 1.6x more long
lens, converter or not converter

You can buy a 1.7x converter for your FX lenses - to make them feel like
having a dx camera

Or how about create a 1.6 crop "action" in Photoshop?

My FF automatically changes to DX crop when I attach a DX lens. Will that
do ?

Absolutely! You already have the best of both worlds as I have been saying
all along. Those who've never owned a FF DSLR just don't seem to get it.
Or maybe prefer to fool themselves that a Dx body is actually an advantage
over Fx, rather than just a cost saving.
(but they don't seem to be buying Nikon V1's in droves though :-)

Trevor.

I have one DX lens and that was bought out of necessity (12-24) to
cover a particular assignment.

12-24mm DX, which particular lens. Going wide with DX I have a
particular liking for the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. My 12-24mm is FF.

the biggest problem that I see for those who have a DX camera lock
themselves into DX lenses - maybe its just the cheaper option - surly
not for a quality image.

Strangely enough DX does not necessarily equate to poor image quality.

Savageduck

Old October 18th 12, 07:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jdanield

Le 18/10/2012 03:30, Trevor a écrit :

Or maybe prefer to fool themselves that a Dx body is actually an advantage
over Fx, rather than just a cost saving.

I did not have FF, but had 35mm SLR and my photo bag is now much
smaller and lighter than 40 years ago, with better images.

FF is probably better quality in most situations (not all), but the
extra quality is mor than most user need

of course if you can affort the extra cost a d weigth a D800 is
probably the best choice

jdd

Old October 18th 12, 09:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 08:21:15 +0200, jdanield wrote:

of course if you can affort the extra cost a d weigth a D800 is
probably the best choice

The image quality of the D800 is probably ahead of that of the lenses
that most people can afford to buy for it.

Eric Stevens
Old October 18th 12, 09:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"jdanield" wrote in message
Or maybe prefer to fool themselves that a Dx body is actually an
advantage
over Fx, rather than just a cost saving.

I did not have FF, but had 35mm SLR and my photo bag is now much smaller
and lighter than 40 years ago, with better images.

No argument there, many recent APSC bodies easily outperform 35mm film. What
is great though is that a D800 can now rival or better MF film.

FF is probably better quality in most situations (not all),

Which ones is it not "better quality"?

but the extra quality is mor than most user need

An instamatic is more than some people need, so what?

of course if you can affort the extra cost a d weigth a D800 is probably
the best choice

At the moment, I totally agree.

Trevor.

Old October 18th 12, 09:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jdanield

Le 18/10/2012 10:35, Eric Stevens a écrit :
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 08:21:15 +0200, jdanield wrote:

of course if you can affort the extra cost a d weigth a D800 is
probably the best choice

The image quality of the D800 is probably ahead of that of the lenses
that most people can afford to buy for it.

sure, by if money and weigth do not count, why not?

jdd
Old October 18th 12, 11:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 08:21:15 +0200, jdanield wrote:

of course if you can affort the extra cost a d weigth a D800 is
probably the best choice

The image quality of the D800 is probably ahead of that of the lenses
that most people can afford to buy for it.

And yet cheaper than any alternatives for similar image quality. The fact
that "most people" still buy cheap compact fixed lens digital camera's is
irrelevent.

Trevor.

Old October 18th 12, 11:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jdanield

Le 18/10/2012 12:26, Trevor a écrit :

And yet cheaper than any alternatives for similar image quality. The fact
that "most people" still buy cheap compact fixed lens digital camera's is
irrelevent.

nothing like this is irrelevant, else only pro cameras should be
relevant...

jdd

Old October 18th 12, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"jdanield" wrote in message
Le 18/10/2012 12:26, Trevor a écrit :

And yet cheaper than any alternatives for similar image quality. The fact
that "most people" still buy cheap compact fixed lens digital camera's is
irrelevent.

nothing like this is irrelevant, else only pro cameras should be
relevant...

lrrelevent to me, irrelevent to the discussion about DSLR's, whether it's
irrelevent to you or not is irrelevent to me :-)

Trevor.

Old October 20th 12, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 11:22:38 +1000, "Trevor" wrote:
:
: "Savageduck" wrote in message
: news:2012101616421164440-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
: Or are we still talking about Fx lenses and claiming they lose size
: and
: weight when added to a Dx body? :-)
:
: compared with the equivalent lens for FX, sure, FX needs 1.6x more long
: lens, converter or not converter
:
: You can buy a 1.7x converter for your FX lenses - to make them feel like
: having a dx camera
:
: Or how about create a 1.6 crop "action" in Photoshop?
:
:
: Creating a Crop Tool preset at a specific aspect ratio and resolution
: setting is simpler, and more useful. Particularly when it comes to
: isolating a specific potion of the image, rather than a generalized 1.6
: crop with little control other than the resize.
:
:
: Yes, I was being faceteous. I'd never want an automatic crop anyway, and
: those who don't know how to crop, sure wouldn't know how to create an action
: in PS :-)

I don't know how Photoshop handles cropping, because I've never used it. But
of those photo editors I have used, some make cropping easy and convenient
while others make it surprisingly cumbersome. YMMV.

Bob
Old October 20th 12, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 12:50:06 +1100, Rob wrote:
: On 17/10/2012 11:28 AM, Trevor wrote:
: "Rob" wrote in message
: ...
: Or are we still talking about Fx lenses and claiming they lose size and
: weight when added to a Dx body? :-)
:
: compared with the equivalent lens for FX, sure, FX needs 1.6x more long
: lens, converter or not converter
:
: You can buy a 1.7x converter for your FX lenses - to make them feel like
: having a dx camera
:
: Or how about create a 1.6 crop "action" in Photoshop?
:
: Trevor.
:
:
: My FF automatically changes to DX crop when I attach a DX lens. Will
: that do ?

For those who put DX lenses on FF cameras, anything will do. :^)

Bob