Washed out signs

Old November 6th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob M

Default Washed out signs Revisited

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 02:47:42 GMT, Ken Weitzel wrote:

Not sure what that weird effect is beside the sign... it's not
possible that you did have unsharp mask on? Or is it possible
that the effect came about from radical downsizing?

I don't think so. The fringing is visible without zooming in on it. It is not
on the original slide, it did not show on the screen when I projected it, and
of course, it was not there in the camera shot of the projected image. It
started to appear when I started using the scanner.

It would be nice if you'd scan that tiny portion at 2400 or better,
and put it on your site without downsizing.

I will try that later, but I don't see (yet) how that would be any different
from cutting out part of the initial scanned jpeg? Which was done at 4800 dpi.

OK, I guess my original upload was less than 4800. Here is one at 4800.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bob-m1...e2.jpg&.src=ph

FYI, if you "save" the picture shown on the Yahoo site, you get a lower
resolution than the one I uploaded. If you click "Download", you get the full
file at the original resolution.

I have tracked down the source of the fringing. If I de-select ICE, it goes
away. But all the lint and fuzz comes back. I guess I will be using ICE for
all except those slides with overexposed sections.

-----------

Remove "not" for return address.

-----------

Remove "not" for return address.
Old November 6th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Weitzel

Bob M wrote:
[...]

Hi...

My 3200 doesn't have ICE, so I've found a next best solution
that you may wish to try out for those that you can't use
ICE on... (freeware)

http://www.polaroid.com/service/soft...r/poladsr.html

A heads-up that may save you a little time... in my opinion
the defaults are much much much too agressive, so I think you'll
want to pull them way down.

Take care.

Ken