External storage recommendations?

Old May 19th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default External storage recommendations?

After piling up 60GB of RAW files from one shoot on my new 5D, it's
dawned on me that external storage/back-up is a major issue.
Especially since the shoot maxxed out my laptop's hard drive AND my
desktop's HD when I got home. (I picked up a LaCie 120GB external on
the road, so at least I had somewhere to dump all this stuff.)

What's the latest on big external storage systems? I see NewEgg's got
500GB drives for under $200 (ex: Western Digital My Book Pro w/USB 2
and Firewire --
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136047 )
I've also seen 750GB and 1TB drives out there. Anybody using these?
Got recommendations?

Thanks.

JJ

Old May 19th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

and Firewire --http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136047)
I've also seen 750GB and 1TB drives out there. Anybody using these?
Got recommendations?

Thanks.

JJ

I bought a Western Digital 1 TB external drive from Costco for $370.
Inside it has 2 500 GB drive.
You can use it in mirror mode as a 500GB or use the whole 1TB.

So far I have had good luck with the Western Digital drives, but then
have not had any problems with any
of my external drives, other have not been so lucky.

Scott

Old May 19th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nsag

If you are amassing this much data regularly you will need to archive to
non-magnetic media.
You will rapidly fill even terrabyte drives.
The most practical/ reliable option are DVDs. Single layer are more reliable
than dual layer media.
However these may not necessarily be permanent (nor is data stored on a hard
drive safe from media failure), have to be examined to make sure files all
recorded and the disk is readable.
It can be painfully slow to read archived files off a DVD. Obviously 60gbs
of data has to span many discs.
Blu-ray recorders with much larger storage capacities are available but the
technology is too new and it is not clear if Bluray or HDDVD will survive.

Old May 19th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Mitchum

wrote:

After piling up 60GB of RAW files from one shoot on my new 5D, it's
dawned on me that external storage/back-up is a major issue. [..]

They can't *all* be good... :-)

--
http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2..._argument.html
Old May 20th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sat, 19 May 2007 15:06:50 -0700, (Paul Mitchum)

After piling up 60GB of RAW files from one shoot on my new 5D, it's
dawned on me that external storage/back-up is a major issue. [..]

They can't *all* be good... :-)

Whadaya mean? LOL! Nope, they're not. But it was a shoot for a
Foundation Archive, so they basically want everything. And before I
can do any serious editing, I have to at least have it all in one
place. I have to tag all the files with info and dates. Trying to do
that piecemeal off several different drives/computers would be rather
slow and convoluted.

And y'know....down the line, the more I shoot the more I'm going to
need to back up. Seems to me (this being my first experience with
digital) that somebody came up with a great idea for a camera system,
but didn't think the post-process requirements through very well. I
can't believe all the "add-ons" and the additional time required.

Old May 20th 07, 07:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On 19 May 2007 12:37:38 -0700, Scott W wrote:

I bought a Western Digital 1 TB external drive from Costco for $370.
Inside it has 2 500 GB drive.
You can use it in mirror mode as a 500GB or use the whole 1TB.

Costco's got the Pro-Edition II WDG2TP10000N for $350. New Egg has
the Premium II WDG2T10000N 1TB for $353. I can't find any difference
between the two (except the three bucks). Costco's warranty, howebver,
is listed as three years, New Egg's only one.

What I like about these units is they have both USB 2.0 and Firewire
400/800 capability.

Old May 20th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
DHB

On May 19, 9:03 am, wrote:
[...]

Scott,
Just out of curiosity because I am considering such
to archive doth digital still & video:

Does it have a cooling fan?

If not, do the drives seem to remain @ a reasonable
temperature?

Thanks in advice. Any additional comments you might want to
add about this unit would be helpful & appreciated.

For the record, I have also have had very good luck with WD
drives & use them almost exclusively but as with *any* device,
especially HDD which have moving parts, it not a matter of *if* they
will fail, but *when*.

Hopefully, prior to a failure the drive will be replaced with
something faster & larger. Then the older drives can be relegated to
additional off sight backup where it will get less use & is just 1
among other backups.

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old May 22nd 07, 09:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

wrote:
After piling up 60GB of RAW files from one shoot on my new 5D, it's
dawned on me that external storage/back-up is a major issue.
Especially since the shoot maxxed out my laptop's hard drive AND my
desktop's HD when I got home. (I picked up a LaCie 120GB external on
the road, so at least I had somewhere to dump all this stuff.)

What's the latest on big external storage systems? I see NewEgg's got
500GB drives for under $200 (ex: Western Digital My Book Pro w/USB 2
and Firewire --
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136047 )
I've also seen 750GB and 1TB drives out there. Anybody using these?
Got recommendations?

Thanks.

JJ

Many will recommend DVD storage, but I feel that for optimal
accessibility, and reliability, going with more, and larger, hard drives
is the better alternative. Still, storing everything in RAW sure eats
up the storage. The price of HD storage is in the range of $.39/GB
these days, which is pretty good, and still falling. I should think
that a terabyte drive system would keep you in storage for a while, and
they cost less than my first 20MB drive did!