HOYA SWALLOWS PENTAX !

Old December 27th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Laurence Payne

Default End of an Era

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:10:16 -0800, "William Graham"
wrote:

Depends on where you live, and what you do, or like to do. It would be very
difficult for me to do without a car here in Salem, Oregon. We don't even
have a decent bus line that goes by my house, and most of the busses in town
stop running at 10:00 PM every day. I have to go to the next town North of
me once a week for band practice, and the next town South of me for a music
lesson every week.....Both places virtually inaccessible without my own car.
If I had to do without a car, I would have to move to the heart of a very
large city just to be able to continue my two principal hobbies.
(photography and trumpet playing) And even then, getting to and from gigs
would be very problematical. - And then, there are our four cats.......

Do they drive too?
Old December 27th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Laurence Payne

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:31:33 -0800, "William Graham"
wrote:

The infrastructure of the US is auto-centric.

Yeah. It's going to come as an even bigger shock to you guys. But
you'll cope, as we all will have to.

Yes.....I don't see any real problems, myself......Getting rid of the
gas-guzzlers might be a traumatic experience for some, but I'm sure there
will be a number of other alternatives on the horizon. I see us as being
individually transportation orientated, but not necessarily gasoline
dependent as others seem to see us. When the gas runs out, we will just take
to electric vehicles or whatever we have to do. But crowding together into
busses or trains just isn't in the cards, and I just don't see that it
should have to be. We don't think that way, and our life style isn't
designed around that sort of thing. IOW, whatever they come up with, you can
be sure of one thing.....One person will be able to leave his house in it,
and drive it to wherever he wants to go without having to be dependent on
anyone else in order to go there. Whether it burns alcohol, or peanut
shells, or runs through storage batteries, or picks up energy from the road
or whatever, it will be a one man, one destination at a time vehicle.....Of
that, you can be sure.......

You really don't get it, do you? :-)
Old December 27th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Laurence Payne

On 26 Dec 2006 13:38:09 -0800, "
wrote:

Oh, and BTW, my 2wd standard cab shortbed Chevy pickup is small enough,
nimble enough, and handles well enough to avoid idiots on the road.
The fact that it is large enough and stout enough to provide protection
should one of said idiots manage to somehow launch him or herself
UNAVOIDABLY into my path of travel is merely a bonus.

One day YOU'LL make a mistake. Watch you wriggle :-)
Old December 27th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Laurence Payne

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:46:14 -0800, "William Graham"
wrote:

As I say, we here in the US are
individual-transportation oriented, and we will find a way to continue in
that mode, even if we end up each driving our own electric scooters....

You really, really don't get it, do you? (Note - no smiley)
Old December 27th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Laurence Payne

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:46:13 -0500, Pudentame
wrote:

I currently have to be at work at 3:00am. It's just over 5 miles away,
slightly more than an hour walking. There's no bus service at that time
of night, and damn little at any other time. And the streets I'd have to
walk do not have sidewalks for over half that distance.

Got a bicycle?
Old December 27th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Pudentame

Philip Homburg wrote:
In article ,
Pudentame wrote:
I currently have to be at work at 3:00am. It's just over 5 miles away,
slightly more than an hour walking.

The nearest grocery store is halfway to where I work.

Ah, so all you need is a bicycle. :-)

Yeah, so the limited number of busses there are in this town could run
over me.
Old December 27th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Pudentame

wrote:

I currently have to be at work at 3:00am. It's just over 5 miles away,
slightly more than an hour walking. There's no bus service at that time
of night, and damn little at any other time. And the streets I'd have to
walk do not have sidewalks for over half that distance.

Got a bicycle?

Yes, but no place to secure it at work. Also no desire to ride up and
down that blind hill & curve at 2:30am, and especially not at 12:00 noon
coming home. It's a *VERY* busy street then, and there's a lot of
scofflaws who don't give a hoot about speed limits.

I've had to walk that way a couple of times when for some reason or
another I couldn't use my car.
Old December 27th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Laurence Payne wrote:
On 26 Dec 2006 13:38:09 -0800, "
wrote:

Oh, and BTW, my 2wd standard cab shortbed Chevy pickup is small enough,
nimble enough, and handles well enough to avoid idiots on the road.
The fact that it is large enough and stout enough to provide protection
should one of said idiots manage to somehow launch him or herself
UNAVOIDABLY into my path of travel is merely a bonus.

One day YOU'LL make a mistake. Watch you wriggle :-)

Oh, I'm perfectly capable of making a mistake. It's just that someone
who spent 14 years as a motorcycle safety instructor and five years as
a motorcycle racer, and three years as a motorcycle racing instructor,
is on average, somewhat less likely than the average car driver to make
a mistake. I'm sure, someday, I will. In the meantime, I have 32
years of driving with nothing but one minor fender bender on ice, and
28 years of riding with no collisions, a record I'm doing my best to
maintain in SPITE of what sometimes appear to be the best efforts of
many of my fellow road users.

Old December 27th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Kennedy McEwen

In article , David J. Littleboy
writes

"Kennedy McEwen" wrote:

I personally don't want to see someone in my rear view mirror approaching
at 175MPH while I am stuck at traffic lights on my way home from work.

The easy way to avoid that is to not own a car. (That's one of the reasons I
ended up in Tokyo.)

Seriously, I don't understand why more people don't decide not to own cars.
The (quite rational*) decision not to own a car ought to be a possibility,
right?

It is indeed a possibility David and I, for many years, lived without
owning or driving a car. However, I consciously took the leap some 15
years ago because the alternatives I was relying on were becoming too
expensive and/or unreliable and/or unsuitable for regular use.
Successive government policies have encouraged that trend. If, however,
I lived and worked in central London for example then I would gladly
return to my no car owning life. It is a lifestyle choice, but one
heavily influenced by economics and the civil planning of governments.
--
Kennedy
Old December 27th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Rebecca Ore

In article ,
Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:57:15 GMT, Rebecca Ore
wrote:

The infrastructure of the US is auto-centric.

Yeah. It's going to come as an even bigger shock to you guys. But
you'll cope, as we all will have to.

I'm moving to England if I can. Otherwise, I'm staying in Philadelphia,
a wonderful place separated from Pittsburgh by Northern Alabama.