image stablising lens

Old May 1st 05, 11:23 AM
Don

Default image stablising lens

Having recently undergone brain surgery I have been left with a minor
palsy/tremor. I had an engagement party to shoot for a friend of mine and
have noticed that virtually all the hand held shots are soft or in some
cases even blurred due to what appears to be camera shake. I took some
shots on a tripod and these are fine. I shot with flash using Canon L
series lenses (17 - 40 & 7- 200) utilising flash predominately at 1/60th @
F4. If the tremors don't clear up I will have to look for alternative
practice. Does anyone here with a similar problem have any experience with
IS lenses? I was considering utilising faster shutter speeds but when using
flash this creates a further set of problems. Any "informed" views and
advice welcome.

regards

--
Don From Down Under

Old May 1st 05, 11:35 AM
Joseph Meehan

Don wrote:
Having recently undergone brain surgery I have been left with a minor
palsy/tremor. I had an engagement party to shoot for a friend of
mine and have noticed that virtually all the hand held shots are soft
or in some cases even blurred due to what appears to be camera shake.
I took some shots on a tripod and these are fine. I shot with flash
using Canon L series lenses (17 - 40 & 7- 200) utilising flash
predominately at 1/60th @ F4. If the tremors don't clear up I will
have to look for alternative practice. Does anyone here with a
similar problem have any experience with IS lenses? I was
considering utilising faster shutter speeds but when using flash this
creates a further set of problems. Any "informed" views and advice
welcome.
regards

You did not mention what camera you are using, but if you can increase
that shutter speed, that should take care of it. It should not change the
overall exposure assuming the flash was the primary source of light to begin
with.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old May 1st 05, 04:27 PM
Don Stauffer

Don wrote:
Having recently undergone brain surgery I have been left with a minor
palsy/tremor. I had an engagement party to shoot for a friend of mine and
have noticed that virtually all the hand held shots are soft or in some
cases even blurred due to what appears to be camera shake. I took some
shots on a tripod and these are fine. I shot with flash using Canon L
series lenses (17 - 40 & 7- 200) utilising flash predominately at 1/60th @
F4. If the tremors don't clear up I will have to look for alternative
practice. Does anyone here with a similar problem have any experience with
IS lenses? I was considering utilising faster shutter speeds but when using
flash this creates a further set of problems. Any "informed" views and
advice welcome.

regards

If the primary source of light is flash, then there is no need to change
shutter speed- the speed of the flash is very quick. If you are using
"fill" flash, then you need to be careful to use a speed that the flash
unit can still sync at.

If the scene is not primarily flash illuminated (you are using flash
only for fill, or not using flash at all), then go to a tripod. I use a
tripod whenever possible anyway.

Old May 1st 05, 04:35 PM
Bill Hilton

Don From Down Under writes
I have been left with a minor palsy/tremor.
... utilising flash predominately at 1/60th
... any experience with IS lenses?

The IS lenses buy you about 2-3 stops, ie, would be equivalent to
shooting at 1/250th - 1/500th sec for stopping camera shake (not
subject motion though) if you're shooting at 1/60th now.

I was considering utilising faster shutter speeds but when
using flash this creates a further set of problems

I think you have the 20D, right? The flash sync in normal mode is
probably 1/200th or maybe a bit less, so if you get out of P mode
(which uses 1/60th sec, IIRC) you can use Av or T modes and go to
1/200th sec shutter speed and still use flash. May have to bump up the
ISO if you're at f/4 already though.

Also, the high end flashes (550EX, 580EX, etc) will sync at ANY shutter
speed, even 1/8,000 th sec on my 1D M II, with reduced power. So you
can work around the 1/60th sec flash sync issue in a couple of ways.

Sorry for your health problems. Hope you are still able to get out
with the eagles.

Bill

Old May 1st 05, 05:30 PM
Joseph Meehan

John A. Stovall wrote:
On Sun, 01 May 2005 10:35:06 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Don wrote:
[...]

Since he's using Canon L lenses it's safe to assume he's using on of
Canon's dSLR's.

But since there is more than one Canon dSLR and I am not familiar with
the features of all the them ...

"...bray a fool in a morter with wheat,
yet shall not his folly be beaten out of him;.."

"The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"
William Blake

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old May 1st 05, 05:37 PM
Paul Rubin

"Don" writes:
Having recently undergone brain surgery I have been left with a minor
palsy/tremor.

I'm sad to hear this. I don't think IS lenses will help that much.
Try a monopod.