Want point and shot with wide angle capability

Old August 22nd 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Donahue

Default Want point and shot with wide angle capability

The zoom on my Olympus C-4000 just won't go wide enough for some of my
shots. Are there any good point and shoot digitals out there that can zoom
to "28mm equivalent". (I loved using a 28mm lens on my 35mm camera.) BTW, I
can live without telephoto zoom.

--
Bob D.

Old August 22nd 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
clandestin_écureuil

Bob Donahue wrote:
The zoom on my Olympus C-4000 just won't go wide enough for some of my
shots. Are there any good point and shoot digitals out there that can zoom
to "28mm equivalent". (I loved using a 28mm lens on my 35mm camera.) BTW, I
can live without telephoto zoom.

Have a look at the Lumix range. Some (FZ18/28) go down to 28mm equivalent
and even DPreview gives them good reports for a P&S. Either that or some of
the Nikon Coolpix models that the real estate agents favour.

Secret Squirrel

--

Ingrid Rose

clandestin.ecureuil(insert missing symbol here)gmail.com
Old August 23rd 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Bob Donahue wrote:
The zoom on my Olympus C-4000 just won't go wide enough for some of my
shots. Are there any good point and shoot digitals out there that can zoom
to "28mm equivalent". (I loved using a 28mm lens on my 35mm camera.) BTW, I
can live without telephoto zoom.

The Canon SD800 IS had it, along with an optical viewfinder. The SD870
IS has 28mm but dropped the optical viewfinder.

Adorama sells the Ricoh R8 with a 28-200 zoom.

Panasonic has some in their Lumix line, but Panasonic point and shoot
cameras are very noisy and poorly rated and should be avoided.
Old August 23rd 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Toby[_3_]

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Aug 22, 8:03 pm, SMS wrote:
Bob Donahue wrote:
The zoom on my Olympus C-4000 just won't go wide enough for some of my
shots. Are there any good point and shoot digitals out there that can
zoom
to "28mm equivalent". (I loved using a 28mm lens on my 35mm camera.)
BTW, I
can live without telephoto zoom.

The Canon SD800 IS had it, along with an optical viewfinder. The SD870
IS has 28mm but dropped the optical viewfinder.

Adorama sells the Ricoh R8 with a 28-200 zoom.

Panasonic has some in their Lumix line, but Panasonic point and shoot
cameras are very noisy and poorly rated and should be avoided.

I think Panasonic Lumix LX-3 would be your best bet. I tried Canon,
Nikon and a few other point and shoot digitals. However, I still feel
that the Lumix has some advantages that I like.... solid cameras and
built to last. This model is equivalent to 24mm wide angle, and I
don't recall any other brand names P&S which has that 24mm. Usually
they only went down to 28 to 30mm, not to 24mm.

Sadly the new Lumix still has a noisy sensor, but if you don't need to shoot
above ISO 800 it is the best choice. Another camera to check out with 28mm
equivalent zoom is the newest Fuji Finepix, I believe it is the F100fd.

Toby

Old August 23rd 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
NigelCummings

Have a look at the Ricoh GRD or GRD II fixed lens 28mm compact cameras.
These cameras have astonishingly sharp lenses and provide very very low
distortion even at full aperture. These cameras also shoot in a version of
RAW format, which is absolutely essential if you need to keep detail in your
wide angle work. Each of the cameras mentioned will accept a 21mm wide angle
adaper lens, this too is of remarkable quality - 30 x 20 inch enmrlargements
with high clarity are perefctly feasible from images produced by these
cameras.
. ..

Old August 23rd 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Maurice Blanchard

"Toby" a écrit dans le message de

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Aug 22, 8:03 pm, SMS wrote:
Bob Donahue wrote:
[...]

even ISO 400 is too noisy to be used btw.

Old August 24th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Toby wrote:

I think Panasonic Lumix LX-3 would be your best bet. I tried Canon,
Nikon and a few other point and shoot digitals. However, I still feel
that the Lumix has some advantages that I like.... solid cameras and
built to last. This model is equivalent to 24mm wide angle, and I
don't recall any other brand names P&S which has that 24mm. Usually
they only went down to 28 to 30mm, not to 24mm.

It's really too bad about Panasonic, since if you evaluated cameras by
features alone they'd be great. Alas, once you factor image quality into
the mix they fall short.
Old August 24th 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_6_]

SMS wrote:
Toby wrote:

I think Panasonic Lumix LX-3 would be your best bet. I tried Canon,
Nikon and a few other point and shoot digitals. However, I still feel
that the Lumix has some advantages that I like.... solid cameras and
built to last. This model is equivalent to 24mm wide angle, and I
don't recall any other brand names P&S which has that 24mm. Usually
they only went down to 28 to 30mm, not to 24mm.

It's really too bad about Panasonic, since if you evaluated cameras by
features alone they'd be great. Alas, once you factor image quality
into the mix they fall short.

The image quality from Panasonics is quite acceptable when, like any tool,
the cameras are used within their limitations. I prefer to stick to ISO
100 for best image quality, and use my DSLR which significantly higher ISO
are required (ISO 1600 is almost noise-free on my DSLR, and that's at the
bottom of the range).

David

Old August 24th 08, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Toby[_3_]

"David J Taylor"
schrieb im
Newsbeitrag om...
SMS wrote:
Toby wrote:

[...]

I have a Fuji F31fd which gives excellent results at ISO 800 and even holds
up well at 1600. Of course it is only 6 Mpx, but I can easily live with
that. What I cry for is RAW and more manual control. But I would still take
that any day over a Panasonic that limited me to shooting in bright light to
get an acceptable image.

Of course I still use my DSLR whenever possible, but it is just not possible
to slip it in my pocket and keep it with me at all times.

Toby

Old August 24th 08, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_6_]

Toby wrote:
[]
I have a Fuji F31fd which gives excellent results at ISO 800 and even
holds up well at 1600. Of course it is only 6 Mpx, but I can easily
live with that. What I cry for is RAW and more manual control. But I
would still take that any day over a Panasonic that limited me to
shooting in bright light to get an acceptable image.

Either good light or longer exposure, to keep at ISO 100. For me, the
28-280mm range and the image stabilisation are important factors.

Of course I still use my DSLR whenever possible, but it is just not
possible to slip it in my pocket and keep it with me at all times.

Toby

Exactly, you choose the most suitable tool available to you to do the job
in hand, and sometimes that's a pocket camera and not a DSLR. No single
camera is perfect.

Cheers,
David