DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

Old December 8th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.equipment.35mm, rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr, rec.photo.misc
Scott W

Default DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

On Dec 7, 4:52 pm, "William Graham" wrote:
"Scott W" wrote in message

An average person can resolve 0.7 line pairs per minute. It takes at least 2 pixels to make a line pair so the minimum you
would need to match the human eye is 1.4 pixels per minute. But 2
pixels/min is the minimum, because of how the phasing occurs you
really would like to have about 1.5 times that amount, or about 2.1
pixels minute.

I wonder what Ted William's eyes could resolve? - Here is an excerpt from
his bio:

"Williams, doctors said, could see at 20 feet what people with normal
eyesight see from 10. Armed forces ophthalmologists said his eyesight was so
keen it was a one-in-100,000 proposition. "

I knew a guy in the Navy that could see the mast of ships peeking out over
the horizon when the rest of the ship was below it. They kept that poor slob
on the bridge 24-7.......He would say, "There's a ship over there, sir" and
you would look through these huge 20x binoculars, and see the tip of a mast
bobbing up and down, "over there". His name was Hooper, and he was from San
Francisco.....He was the only person I ever knew that could sleep standing
up leaning against a post.....

Let's thaw out his head and see what it can do.

Scott
Old December 8th 07, 11:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.misc
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital.zlr AndrewR wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 02:32:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

A clue for all the useless idiots, just like this one. Get your nose off of your
monitor with those pop-bottle-bottom nerd glasses of yours with +10 diopter
correction in them. View a 1024x768 display from a distance that provides a TRUE
30-40 degree FOV only. Don't be so ****ingly stupid. Do the math on a 17"
monitor with a width of 13+" on how far away you have to view it.

I hope it doesn't shock you too much to discover that some of us are
intelligent enough to have done that already. It's very simple school
trig which people who are used to it can do in their heads.

As for the moron that says 2.3' of arc are easily discerned by most humans,
there's another ****ingly useless troll revealing himself. I used to host
astronomer's events and would often ask the general public how many stars they
could see in Epsilon Lyrae. If lucky maybe 10% of them would raise their hands
on being able to see 2 stars there.

What ****ingly useless, inexperienced, misinformation-spewing, and amazingly
ignorant trolls.

You don't have much experience with discussing things, do you?

Let me just ask you one question. Think of those people in your life
who were educational beacons, people who knew much more than you
did. How many of those people were more foul mouthed than you are when
they came across someone who didn't know something that they did?

It's my own experience that people who swear a lot are either ignorant
or mentally ill. I just wondered if that was your experience too.

--
Chris Malcolm
DoD #205

Old December 8th 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.equipment.35mm, rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr, rec.photo.misc
[email protected]

On Dec 8, 12:48 am, AndrewR wrote:
View a 1024x768 display from a distance that provides a TRUE
30-40 degree FOV only. Don't be so ****ingly stupid.

I don't need to repeat what four others have now pointed out about
your errors, Mr Magoo.

But I will repeat - this idiocy is a very useful, telling reflection
of your complete incompetence and ridiculously low standards.

It's good to see it only took about two weeks for your true colors to
be revealed to all. But do, oh do, keep posting these long diatribes.

It'll keep you off the streets. (O:
Old December 8th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.misc
Floyd L. Davidson

Chris Malcolm wrote:
In rec.photo.digital.zlr AndrewR wrote:

What ****ingly useless, inexperienced, misinformation-spewing, and amazingly
ignorant trolls.

You don't have much experience with discussing things, do you?

Let me just ask you one question. Think of those people in your life
who were educational beacons, people who knew much more than you
did. How many of those people were more foul mouthed than you are when
they came across someone who didn't know something that they did?

Bad question I'm afraid! I'd be willing to bet that one
of the major reasons he knows so little and is so rude
is that his experience growing up *is* what you ask
above. The adults in his life probably knew little and
were abusive and foul mouthed when somebody else did.

For example, I'm always amused when I hear parents
berating their teenager children as assholes... because
invariably the kids are! They are just like their
parents...

It's my own experience that people who swear a lot are either ignorant
or mentally ill. I just wondered if that was your experience too.

I don't know about that... I don't tend to swear much
when I write, but my vocal skills include the common use
of useful selection of cuss words. However, there is a
time and a place, too.

I recall once, perhaps 15 years ago, when a collegue at
work did something that I was *extremely* annoyed at,
and I spent about 5 minutes explaining in precise detail
what was wrong with his actions. This was witnessed by
a lady who was somewhat younger (30's), who definitely
deferred to both of us as "older men". Her eyes just
about popped out of her head at the whole thing, because
she had never seen me even come close to giving anyone a
dressing down before.

Her most poignant observation? "When you're mad, you
*don't* cuss at all!" I chuckled and agreed that she
would now forever more know how to figure out when I was
putting someone on, or really serious. If I'm cussing,
you're safe, it's all in fun. No swearing... you'd
best listen real careful, your life is in danger! :-)

But, that is impossible to reproduce with written
language. It also helps that I live in Alaska, where
the women cuss more than the men anyway.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old December 8th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.equipment.35mm, rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr, rec.photo.misc
[email protected]

OFF TOPIC

On Dec 8, 11:13 pm, AndrewR wrote:
useless idiots
****ingly stupid
****ingly useless troll
****ingly useless
The ****ingly useless trolls
totally ****ing useless wastes of flesh

.....(grin - you can almost see the spittle flying onto his screen..!)

Hey, 'AndrewR', I'm curious - is your vocabulary limitation genetic,
learned, from brain injury, or drug-induced?

Anyway, 1024x768 is good enough for Mr Magoo, and now he has shown his
ability to express himself.

An artiste extraordinaire! Oh if only we were worthy of seeing his
body of work. But under which name?

(O;
Old December 26th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.misc
John Navas[_2_]

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:12:48 -0900, (Floyd L. Davidson)
wrote in :

John Navas wrote:
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:13:19 -0900,
(Floyd L. Davidson)
wrote in :

John Navas wrote:
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:02:51 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
wrote in
:

Floyd is correct. Nikon's blinking warning is extremely useful, in some
respects better than a histogram since it shows exactly which parts of the
shot are overexposed, which a histogram cannot do. For example, if the only
overexposure is on specular highlights there may be no need for
correction -- and a histogram wouldn't tell you that.

Specular highlights are actually easy to spot on a histogram as a far
brightness spike, whereas burned out highlights are a tail.

False.

You say that based on direct experience. No, wait ... you've

No, wait...

I have zero direct experience with the cheap camera that
you use, that is true. But years of experience with
multiple different cameras that use both a histogram and
a blink on over exposure LCD display.

You have zero direct experience with *any* sort of the
blink on over exposure LCD display that we are talking
about.

Guess what that leaves us with John?

An incorrect statement by you.

acknowledged zero direct experience ...
so you're guessing. And, unfortunately, wrong.

Is it necessary to be dishonest? That does tell us that
you *know* you are wrong.

Name calling concedes the point.

--
Best regards,