HOYA SWALLOWS PENTAX !

Old January 8th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

Default End of an Era

In article , Ron Hunter
wrote:

William Graham wrote:
"Ken Lucke" wrote in message
In article .com,
sgtdisturbed wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , acl
wrote:

jeremy wrote:
mechanical build quality had deteriorated noticably. Just like new
cars.
Better fuel economy and more amenities, at the expense of less
sheet
metal
and smaller overall size.
So, basically, you prefer cars with lots of sheet metal and large
size?

Damn straight _I_ do. Sheet metal, true internal structure (not just
some flimsy suppoorts for the outer skin), and large size. I'd take
high strength composite fiber/plastics (NOT fiberglass!) if they ever
start making cars with them (oops, sorry, that was an inadvertent cue
for RichA to enter the thread with his obsession), but until then, I
want METAL around me. The more the better.

Ever seen a serious wreck? Ever been in one?

From 1979 to 1996, I worked as a professional, full time paramedic (in
Portland, OR and other places), and the last 6 years was also a
firefighter. I've _seen_ (and sometimes had to scrape up) the
difference in outcomes.

Sorry, but to hell with fuel economy... with the millions of people on
the road in this country who merely know "how to operate a motor
vehicle" as opposed to actually knowing how to _drive_ their vehicles
(and there is a HUGE difference between those two skillsets), I want a
tank around me, if possible. Again, damn straight I prefer a vehicle
with some substance to it rather than today's tin cans that a wrinkle
in the sheet metal causes major loss of body integrity and strength
(literally).

Aren't the lighter bodies designed to use crumple zones to reduce the
forces of impact upon the passengers by
absorbing the impact as opposed to the driver feeling 100% of the
impact (which would result in a higher percentage of injury) while
using a firm, non-flexible body on their car? Newer cars seem to have
better crash test ratings than older, not-so flexible cars.

Ever had to extract a patient from one vs. the other? And then had to
treat said patient?

I thought not.

--

Yeah, but the heavier the vehicle the safer, and so everyone goes for the
heaviest they can get and/or afford....Soon the streets are full of tanks

Some still will. Note the vehicle in which the football player was
killed. Longer than a city bus and didn't keep him safe.

I never said that a heavier body would eliminate death or injury. I
just prefer it from my experiences of 15 years of dealing with the
results on-scene, first hand, up close. I've seen people survive 60mph
headons with no seatbelts, and I've seen a person killed in a 5mph
parking lot fender bender. Both are extreme examples of the
combination of the incredible toughness and the incredible fragility of
the human body.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 8th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 17:39:11 -0800, "William Graham"
wrote:

Yeah, but the heavier the vehicle the safer, and so everyone goes for the
heaviest they can get and/or afford....Soon the streets are full of tanks
that weigh 10,000 pounds each, with their occupants glaring out or their
little armored windows at each other.....Wouldn't it be better if they all
went for the lightest vehicle they could find? - Then we wouldn't be paying
to haul all that scrap iron around with us all the time......I guess the
only way to reach that level of sophistication is for the price of the fuel
to go through the roof, so nobody can afford to drive the tank.......

There will still be those who will drive a smaller car. It's human
nature.
And, even if everyone suddenly discovered that smaller cars got better
mileage, and then suddenly no one needed larger vehicles (through some
feat of magic), how do we shrink trucks down to under 3000 pounds?

The reality is, even if the CAFE standard were raised to 40mpg, larger
passenger vehicles would still be needed; a fact that eludes some.

--
Hillary Clinton was sworn
into the Senate Thursday
Old January 8th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Laurence Payne wrote:
On 7 Jan 2007 16:54:28 -0800, "
wrote:

It's quite clear that Mr. Payne is something far superior to a US
citizen.

Thanks for the compliment!

Obviously you've never heard the phrase "damning with faint praise" or
you wouldn't be so easily pleased.

Is being considered "far superior" to an American only FAINT praise?

THAT'S what you use all those guns for! Foot-shooting!

What makes you presume that I'm American?

Old January 8th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

wrote:

Soon the streets are full of tanks
that weigh 10,000 pounds each, with their occupants glaring out or their
little armored windows at each other.....Wouldn't it be better if they all
went for the lightest vehicle they could find? - Then we wouldn't be paying
to haul all that scrap iron around with us all the time....

Yeah, but not in the Land Of The Free. Everyone ELSE could drive a
lightweight, which would leave ME all the more impregnable in my tank.
Social responsibility? Nah! I can AFFORD it, didn't you hear me?

What do your keenly felt social responsibilities permit you to drive?

Old January 8th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Laurence Payne

On 8 Jan 2007 14:26:02 -0800, "
wrote:

What makes you presume that I'm American?

Terribly sorry. No insult intended.
Old January 8th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
William Graham

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
William Graham wrote:
"Ken Lucke" wrote in message
In article .com,
sgtdisturbed wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , acl
wrote:

jeremy wrote:
mechanical build quality had deteriorated noticably. Just like new
cars.
Better fuel economy and more amenities, at the expense of less sheet
metal
and smaller overall size.
So, basically, you prefer cars with lots of sheet metal and large
size?

Damn straight _I_ do. Sheet metal, true internal structure (not just
some flimsy suppoorts for the outer skin), and large size. I'd take
high strength composite fiber/plastics (NOT fiberglass!) if they ever
start making cars with them (oops, sorry, that was an inadvertent cue
for RichA to enter the thread with his obsession), but until then, I
want METAL around me. The more the better.

Ever seen a serious wreck? Ever been in one?

From 1979 to 1996, I worked as a professional, full time paramedic (in
[...]

Yeah, but that was a drive-by shooting....He would need a special car
modified for presidents and the like for that, and they cost a
fortune.....It just goes to prove that "safe" is a relative term, like,
"good", and there is no way to be completely safe.

Old January 8th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
William Graham

wrote:

[...]

That's right....As long as the trucks and other commercial vehicles are
sharing the same roads as private vehicles, we are going to have this
problem. Designing a safer cab for the passengers is about the best we can
do......

Old January 14th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

*From:* Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom
*Date:* Tue, 02 Jan 2007 02:00:40 +0000

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 16:08:46 -0800, "William Graham"
wrote:

Interestingly, with alcohol, we will be growing the fuel

ourselves.....Sort of "completing the cycle" as it were......

Round and round we go, taking energy out each time. Something not
quite right there.....

Nah, the energy is actually solar energy, harvested the slow way!