Sigma Four Thirds 20D-Killer rumor

Old May 19th 05, 09:42 PM
Norman

George Preddy wrote:

I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be released
Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is supposed to be
an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed
third-party company. The announcement will probably happen before
the end of this summer, for a November or December shipping date.
No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is going to be HOT.

Thanks for the information. I must say that this info is helpful, but
it also clouds the buying process for an already confused first time
digital SLR buyer. :-(

(I had decided to buy the Oly Evolt, after months of research, and now
this.)
Old May 19th 05, 09:48 PM
George Preddy

RichA wrote in
:

On 19 May 2005 08:07:04 +0200, George Preddy
wrote:

I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be
released Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is
supposed to be an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by
a licensed third-party company. The announcement will probably
happen before the end of this summer, for a November or December
shipping date. No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is
going to be HOT.

Honestly, if the Fuji S3 with it's sensor hasn't killed the
CMOSers, then I doubt any Foveon sensor will. But I will be
interested in seeing what kind of pricing Sigma is going to go
with. Their current offering is an enigma; A pricey camera with
arguably out of of date specs.

The Sigma SD10 remains the best DSLR to this date, with the possible
exceptions of a few medium format digital backs. I agree that the
price of a new SD10 body (if you can find one) might appear to be
high if you compare it to consumer digital bodies from the other
manufacturers, but if you compare it to other pro models the value
is simply unbeatable.
Old May 19th 05, 10:19 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
et...
In rec.photo.digital George Preddy wrote:
I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be released
Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is supposed to be
an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed
third-party company. The announcement will probably happen before
the end of this summer, for a November or December shipping date.
No wonder Sigma has been so quiet. This DSLR is going to be HOT.

After seeing other recent posts by you, I think it is simple safe to say
... LIAR.

Actually Sigma is supposed to be releasing a new digital SLR. I have heard
it referred to as the SD7 and the SD20. There may actually be two new
models, both with the same sensor, but one will be entry-level and one will
be prosumer. It reportedly will use a new 5.2 megapixel/15.6
megaphotodetctor, Foveon sensor, with a 1.5 crop factor.

Whether this is actually is going to happen, is unknown. I have also heard
that Foveon is concentrating on sensors for embedded applications such as
cell phones, where image quality is less important than in SLRs or compact
digital cameras, and has given up on the standalone digital camera market.

Old May 19th 05, 10:43 PM
Hannah

"George Preddy" wrote in message

price of a new SD10 body (if you can find one)

I have never seen one. I heard from a colleague that an independent
retailer not far from where I live was stuck with the one and only one that
he bought in to see if it would sell. It didn't. Sigmas just don't cut it.
Hannah.

Old May 19th 05, 10:48 PM
Hannah

"George Preddy" wrote in message
0...

an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured by a licensed

Improved and Foveon, words to conjure with. It would, from what I've seen
and heard, be extraordinarily difficult to make it any worse. Any change
whatsoever could only possibly be an improvement. I wonder if this
improvement might possibly include an increase to the same number of
megapixels that even the cheapest P&S cameras offer? Will this new Sigma
possibly provide, for the first time ever, a true flesh tone?
H.

Old May 19th 05, 10:55 PM
George Preddy

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in
ink.net:

wrote:
I've been hearing plenty of great things about a soon-to-be
released Four Thirds 20D-Killer body by Sigma. The sensor is
supposed to be an improved version of the Foveon, manufactured
by a licensed third-party company. The announcement will
probably happen before the end of this summer, for a November
or December shipping date. No wonder Sigma has been so quiet.
This DSLR is going to be HOT.

After seeing other recent posts by you, I think it is simple safe
to say ... LIAR.

Actually Sigma is supposed to be releasing a new digital SLR. I
have heard it referred to as the SD7 and the SD20. There may
actually be two new models, both with the same sensor, but one
will be entry-level and one will be prosumer. It reportedly will
use a new 5.2 megapixel/15.6 megaphotodetctor, Foveon sensor, with
a 1.5 crop factor.

Correct. Sigma will also be releasing a new body that can be used
with all of their existing lenses, as well as the Four Thirds body
and full range of lenses for the Four Thirds platform.

Whether this is actually is going to happen, is unknown.

My sources are extremely credible. The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
are going to be 20D killers in all aspects. Expect the
announcements before the end of this summer.
Old May 19th 05, 11:02 PM
Frank ess

Steven M. Scharf wrote:
[...]

When you write a sentence like this, do you mean what you say? " ...
is unknown." NO one knows?

Old May 19th 05, 11:28 PM
Chris Brown

George Preddy wrote:

My sources are extremely credible. The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
are going to be 20D killers in all aspects.

Especially if you live in the land of the cheese-people.
Old May 19th 05, 11:42 PM
James Of Tucson

"The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
are going to be 20D killers in all aspects."

They're going to have a Canon EF lens mount?

Old May 20th 05, 12:06 AM
George Preddy

"James Of Tucson" wrote in
oups.com:

"The new DSLR bodies from Sigma
are going to be 20D killers in all aspects."

They're going to have a Canon EF lens mount?

The Four Thirds body will have the standard Four Thirds mount. The
Oly lenses are so so, but Sigma will also be releasing a full line
of Four Thirds lenses and accessories. When that happens, expect
Four Thirds to really take off.

The successor to the SD10 will have the standard Sigma mount.