Why I always kick myself when I leave the polarizer at home.

Old March 25th 12, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Why I always kick myself when I leave the polarizer at home.

Image with the two leaves.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/62816810/1/P?h=8aceac

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old March 25th 12, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 26/03/2012 11:03 a.m., Alan Browne wrote:

Image with the two leaves.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/62816810/1/P?h=8aceac

Because the reflected sky is both out of focus, and /reasonably/ even,
I'd give it a better than 50:50 chance that photo can be post-processed
to achieve damned close to what you probably hoped for (if you are a bit
like me anyway - trying to replicate what the mind perceives, which may
not be exactly what the lens captures).
If you want to post a decent sized sample, I'd give it a go and re-post
my attempt.
Old March 25th 12, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 26/03/2012 11:32 a.m., Me wrote:
On 26/03/2012 11:03 a.m., Alan Browne wrote:

Image with the two leaves.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/62816810/1/P?h=8aceac

Because the reflected sky is both out of focus, and /reasonably/ even,
I'd give it a better than 50:50 chance that photo can be post-processed
to achieve damned close to what you probably hoped for (if you are a bit
like me anyway - trying to replicate what the mind perceives, which may
not be exactly what the lens captures).
If you want to post a decent sized sample, I'd give it a go and re-post
my attempt.

Oops - missed the link to "full size" sample (but that is still quite
small).
Old March 26th 12, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-03-25 15:03:24 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

Image with the two leaves.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/62816810/1/P?h=8aceac

Just noodling around with NIK Viveza 2, & Color Efex Pro 4. Here is a
comparison.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...tleaf-comp.jpg

Savageduck

Old March 26th 12, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 16:57:08 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-03-25 15:03:24 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

Image with the two leaves.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/62816810/1/P?h=8aceac

Just noodling around with NIK Viveza 2, & Color Efex Pro 4. Here is a
comparison.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...tleaf-comp.jpg

Did you use that on the railroad coupler?

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old March 26th 12, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Darrell Larose" wrote in message
A polarizer is the only filter you can't fake in Photoshop!

You can sometimes, skies for example, but not so much for refections.

Trevor.

Old March 26th 12, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-03-25 15:03:24 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

Image with the two leaves.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/62816810/1/P?h=8aceac

Just noodling around with NIK Viveza 2, & Color Efex Pro 4. Here is a
comparison.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...tleaf-comp.jpg

Did you use that on the railroad coupler?

Regards,

Eric Stevens

If I recall correctly I went a slightly different route with that shot
where I had issues with bright light in the upper left vs the shade of
the rail bed and coupling.
I added a gradient as a pseudo ND to tone down the hot corner, without
that that area would have been blown out. I used a
"brightness/contrast" adjustment layer with layer mask to deal with the
shaded area.
Then a bit of USM. There wasn't too much to that image.

Savageduck

Old March 26th 12, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Alan Browne escribió:

Image with the two leaves.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/62816810/1/P?h=8aceac

Heh. When I click on that link, I get an editor open with some dropbox
source code.

--
Pablo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
http://paulc.es/piso/index.php
Old March 26th 12, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Dyer-Bennet

Alan Browne writes:

Image with the two leaves.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/62816810/1/P?h=8aceac

I have this marvelous thing called a "camera bag", which has pockets in
which various bits of photographic accessories can live, so I always
have it with me when I need it unexpectedly. (Polarizer and ND for my
big zooms live full-time in the main bag.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old March 26th 12, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-03-25 15:03:24 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

Image with the two leaves.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/62816810/1/P?h=8aceac

Just noodling around with NIK Viveza 2, & Color Efex Pro 4. Here is a
comparison.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...tleaf-comp.jpg

Very interesting - but has a "plastic" look that I don't like.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.