Punography comments from Calvin Sambrook

Old May 11th 09, 12:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Calvin Sambrook

Default Punography comments from Calvin Sambrook

Well it looks like almost everyone struggled as much as I did with this
month's mandate!

PUN-Savageduck_old.jpg: What a fantastic photo. I particularly like the
reflections off the "water" and the inclusion of the lumps of ice in the
background which seems to me to give an impression of vast space. So much
of this photo works well: the shadows, the composition, the colours.
Fantastic.

Pun_Michael Wyllie.jpg: As a photo this is just too visually confusing to
work well for me. The mottled background having the same colours as the
dragon and the camera position leaving the head in front of the body like
that makes my attention jump all over the image without really seeing
anything much. Sorry.
I can't think what the pun is either - although that says more about me than
the photo! Sorry again!

Pun_Mike_Benveniste.jpg: I quite like this shot as a piece of art in
itself. The nice crisp subject and the use of two very plain backgrounds
works.
I cant imagine what the pun is though.

Punography Calvin Sambrook.jpg: Mine of course and I'm not at all happy.
The basic concept has sort of worked but I wanted to produce something with
strong lines down though the legs, arms and rope. Failed. I would have
liked a more obvious look to the model's clothing. Without giving the pun
away that is supposed to be a pirate's outfit but I don't think it's worked,
I think we should have gone for a stereotyped "pirate costume". I'm also
still not sure about my choice of background. I used this because it was
sort of neutral while still looking like a street but now I look again it's
simply too cluttered with tiny detail, I think I'd of been better off with
someone's fence or something. On the good side I did at least manage to get
the important bits on thirds which has helped a bit and Anna, my model, has
sort of managed to look like she's pulling pack against being dragged along.

Puns-Dont Be A Horses Ass-Cooper.jpg: I think this is probably a good photo
in its own right but is spoiled by the mandate if you see what I mean.
Without the symbol it's got nice composition and the shooting angle
certainly grabs the attention!

Puns-Horse Of A Different Color-Cooper.jpg: Wonderful. I love this shot.
The choice of recolour, having the head on the major third and the offset
framing within the frame all work to draw my eye in and grab my attention.
Well done.

Puns-Straight From The Horses Mouth-Cooper.jpg: This did nothing for me I'm
afraid. The bridle in the top left is distracting as is the diagonal crop
(what's going on there?). There's just not any visual interest, nothing to
pull me in.

pun-Paul-Furman-2008-edgehill.net.jpg: Wow. This would probably of been a
nothingy, boring snap but the added blur works to really give it punch. I
like the composition and the sharpness and texture in the bricks (look at
the original size). Must admit though - I can't look at it for too long as
it makes me feel ill !
"Blurring the boundaries" by any chance?

pun_bowser1.jpg: This is funny on so many levels it's embarrassing! It's
certainly not a great photo but within the context of this mandate I love
it.

pun_bowser2.jpg: Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Clearly it was tough to come up with photographically accomplished shots
within this mandate, I know I failed. If I've just been nasty about your
photo I apologise but take a look at mine, it's no better!

--
Calvin

Old May 11th 09, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

"Calvin Sambrook" wrote in message
Well it looks like almost everyone struggled as much as I did with this
month's mandate!

pun_bowser1.jpg: This is funny on so many levels it's embarrassing! It's
certainly not a great photo but within the context of this mandate I love
it.

pun_bowser2.jpg: Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Yeah, and it's out of focus, too. Good news is that Buster got the cheese.
He likes cheese.

Old May 11th 09, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:32:13 +0100, "Calvin Sambrook"
wrote:

Puns-Dont Be A Horses Ass-Cooper.jpg: I think this is probably a good photo
in its own right but is spoiled by the mandate if you see what I mean.
Without the symbol it's got nice composition and the shooting angle
certainly grabs the attention!

Puns-Horse Of A Different Color-Cooper.jpg: Wonderful. I love this shot.
The choice of recolour, having the head on the major third and the offset
framing within the frame all work to draw my eye in and grab my attention.
Well done.

I like this photo
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos...26_VCfu3-L.jpg , taken at
the same stable, better. This horse was not as easy to color, though,
so I whipped one off of the white one. (Not the same white horse as
the one in the field)

Puns-Straight From The Horses Mouth-Cooper.jpg: This did nothing for me I'm
afraid. The bridle in the top left is distracting as is the diagonal crop
(what's going on there?). There's just not any visual interest, nothing to
pull me in.

It's not really a diagonal crop. When I was shooting the white horse
in the field, another horse had his muzzle under the lowest fence bar
and was munching grass from the other side. He had his head twisted
to do so. I couldn't think of a way, pictorially, to convey "the
grass is greener on the other side", so I noticed the one blade
sticking almost straight up. I did line it up a little in post. The
halter, not the bridle, was included to make it clear it was a horse.
With tighter cropping, I wasn't sure it would be recognizable.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old May 11th 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
M J Wyllie

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
Well it looks like almost everyone struggled as much as I did with this
month's mandate!

PUN-Savageduck_old.jpg: What a fantastic photo. I particularly like
the reflections off the "water" and the inclusion of the lumps of ice in
the background which seems to me to give an impression of vast space.
So much of this photo works well: the shadows, the composition, the
colours. Fantastic.

Pun_Michael Wyllie.jpg: As a photo this is just too visually confusing
to work well for me. The mottled background having the same colours as
the dragon and the camera position leaving the head in front of the body
like that makes my attention jump all over the image without really
seeing anything much. Sorry.
I can't think what the pun is either - although that says more about me
than the photo! Sorry again!

Hi Calvin. I had 2 choices of background, the
brown or some blue. I thought the brown suited the
dragon better. Also head-on was the only way to
capture all of the dragon, maybe I should've used
a different model....

Anyway, try "Dragging the chain".

[...]

Ok, as soon as you mentioned pirates clothing, I
got it! :-)

Old May 12th 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mike Benveniste

On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:32:13 +0100, Calvin Sambrook wrote:

Pun_Mike_Benveniste.jpg: I quite like this shot as a piece of art in
itself. The nice crisp subject and the use of two very plain
backgrounds works.

Thanks for the kind words. Looking at it again, I got lazy on
the shadows on the easel.

I cant imagine what the pun is though.

Does it help to know that the spiky thing is an oriental fruit called
a Durian? I guess I just took a walk on the Wilde side.

--
Michael Benveniste -- (Clarification required)
Legalize Updoc.
Old May 12th 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On 11 May 2009 23:50:03 GMT, Mike Benveniste
wrote:

On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:32:13 +0100, Calvin Sambrook wrote:

Pun_Mike_Benveniste.jpg: I quite like this shot as a piece of art in
itself. The nice crisp subject and the use of two very plain
backgrounds works.

Thanks for the kind words. Looking at it again, I got lazy on
the shadows on the easel.

I cant imagine what the pun is though.

Does it help to know that the spiky thing is an oriental fruit called
a Durian? I guess I just took a walk on the Wilde side.

It's a strange shot. Every time I look at it the thing in the middle
looks older.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old May 12th 09, 07:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
Well it looks like almost everyone struggled as much as I did with this
month's mandate!

PUN-Savageduck_old.jpg: What a fantastic photo. I particularly like
the reflections off the "water" and the inclusion of the lumps of ice in
the background which seems to me to give an impression of vast space.
So much of this photo works well: the shadows, the composition, the
colours. Fantastic.

Pun_Michael Wyllie.jpg: As a photo this is just too visually confusing
to work well for me. The mottled background having the same colours as
the dragon and the camera position leaving the head in front of the body
like that makes my attention jump all over the image without really
seeing anything much. Sorry.
I can't think what the pun is either - although that says more about me
than the photo! Sorry again!

Chain smoker?

Pun_Mike_Benveniste.jpg: I quite like this shot as a piece of art in
itself. The nice crisp subject and the use of two very plain
backgrounds works.
I cant imagine what the pun is though.

Ugh, it's a leechee (sp?) I believe... a tropical fruit... I'm worse at
deciphering visual puns than making them though g.

[...]

It's a charming photo, I still don't get it though...
You must be in the UK, judging from the garden g.

Puns-Dont Be A Horses Ass-Cooper.jpg: I think this is probably a good
photo in its own right but is spoiled by the mandate if you see what I
mean. Without the symbol it's got nice composition and the shooting
angle certainly grabs the attention!

Puns-Horse Of A Different Color-Cooper.jpg: Wonderful. I love this
shot. The choice of recolour, having the head on the major third and the
offset framing within the frame all work to draw my eye in and grab my
attention. Well done.

I couldn't help but think pink elephant :-|

Puns-Straight From The Horses Mouth-Cooper.jpg: This did nothing for me
I'm afraid. The bridle in the top left is distracting as is the
diagonal crop (what's going on there?). There's just not any visual
interest, nothing to pull me in.

pun-Paul-Furman-2008-edgehill.net.jpg: Wow. This would probably of
been a nothingy, boring snap but the added blur works to really give it
punch. I like the composition and the sharpness and texture in the
bricks (look at the original size). Must admit though - I can't look at
it for too long as it makes me feel ill !
"Blurring the boundaries" by any chance?

I'll confess now that it's an archive from this past autumn.
'Tilt/Shift'
The ancient native American stone walls and geology have tilted &
shifted over the centuries, the focal plane is tilted with a T/S lens,
85/2.8 Nikkor, Chaco Canyon, New Mexico. I seldom do this extreme of a
tilt but the scene justifies it and I kind of like the dreamy shaman
look. The right edge should be cropped out though, the colors turn all
dark brown & mushy.

www.edgehill.net
www.baynatives.com

Old May 12th 09, 08:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_26_]

* Paul Furman wrote :
Calvin Sambrook wrote:
[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 11 lines snipped |=---]
the dragon and the camera position leaving the head in front of the body
like that makes my attention jump all over the image without really
seeing anything much. Sorry.
I can't think what the pun is either - although that says more about me
than the photo! Sorry again!

Chain smoker?

"Draggin' the chain" was what I took it as. I thought this was
one of the more clever ones.

"Chain smoker" works for me also, but that one hadn't occurred to
me until you mentioned it. Good one.

--
Troy Piggins
Old May 12th 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

"Mike Benveniste" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:32:13 +0100, Calvin Sambrook wrote:

Pun_Mike_Benveniste.jpg: I quite like this shot as a piece of art in
itself. The nice crisp subject and the use of two very plain
backgrounds works.

Thanks for the kind words. Looking at it again, I got lazy on
the shadows on the easel.

I cant imagine what the pun is though.

Does it help to know that the spiky thing is an oriental fruit called
a Durian? I guess I just took a walk on the Wilde side.

A portrait of Durian Gray?

Old May 12th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mike Benveniste

On Tue, 12 May 2009 07:46:34 -0400, Bowser wrote:

A portrait of Durian Gray?

Close enough.

Even though the Durian has been called the King of Fruits, the shot is
not a portrait. The original work, of course, was "The Picture of
Dorian Gray."