[SI] New mandate needed

Old March 25th 12, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default [SI] New mandate needed

On 2012-03-20 18:12 , James Silverton wrote:

Some people (not me) believe that sound produced by tube electronics is
"better" than that from solid state. I think they just like the
distortions they were accustomed to.

They like the "warm" sound. ;-)

I believe the expert opinion of 90% of audiophiles is weighted directly
by the price of the equipment and not what is being heard.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old March 25th 12, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:25:46 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2012-03-20 18:12 , James Silverton wrote:

Some people (not me) believe that sound produced by tube electronics is
"better" than that from solid state. I think they just like the
distortions they were accustomed to.

They like the "warm" sound. ;-)

I believe the expert opinion of 90% of audiophiles is weighted directly
by the price of the equipment and not what is being heard.

I'm glad you and I can agree about something. :-)

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old March 25th 12, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-03-20 18:12 , James Silverton wrote:

Some people (not me) believe that sound produced by tube electronics is
"better" than that from solid state. I think they just like the
distortions they were accustomed to.

They like the "warm" sound. ;-)

I believe the expert opinion of 90% of audiophiles is weighted directly
by the price of the equipment and not what is being heard.

I'm glad you and I can agree about something. :-)

It is an easy one. On reflection though it can be tuned further:

"I believe the expert opinion of 98% of *self-declared* audiophiles is
weighted directly by the price of the equipment and not what is being
heard."

and

"I believe the expert opinion of 99.999% of *self-declared* audiophiles
is weighted directly by the price of the equipment *that they just
bought* and not what is being heard."

Cheers.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old March 26th 12, 11:52 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete A

On 2012-03-20 18:12 , James Silverton wrote:

Some people (not me) believe that sound produced by tube electronics is
"better" than that from solid state. I think they just like the
distortions they were accustomed to.

They like the "warm" sound. ;-)

I believe the expert opinion of 90% of audiophiles is weighted directly
by the price of the equipment and not what is being heard.

I'm glad you and I can agree about something. :-)

It is an easy one. On reflection though it can be tuned further:

"I believe the expert opinion of 98% of *self-declared* audiophiles is
weighted directly by the price of the equipment and not what is being
heard."

and

"I believe the expert opinion of 99.999% of *self-declared* audiophiles
is weighted directly by the price of the equipment *that they just
bought* and not what is being heard."

I used to enjoy reading Hi-Fi magazines. The most hilarious was a
feature on the apparently large differences in sound produced by each
cable in a group test of TOSLINK optical interconnects. The reviewers
could have measured error rate and jitter, written something about it
then concluded, honestly, that that any differences in sound were
simply imagined. But hey, they didn't let the facts spoil a good story.

Before reading the article I understood "TOSLINK" to mean "Toshiba
Link", but since then the name "Tosser Link" pops into my head.

Very few *self-declared* audiophiles will subject themselves to a
double-blind ABX test then accept a result that is not in accord with
their preconception.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABX_test