Cleaning the Mirror, etc.

Old May 1st 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Irwin

Default Cleaning the Mirror, etc.

inki wrote:

Now, when looking through the viewfinder, one can be distracted by
some dried stains that indicate where splashes of fluid hit the
mirror.

Is there an easy way to wash the inner parts of an slr camera body, if
the problem is more than just dust?

I have used 99% isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips to clean SLR mirrors
without obvious problems. Be sure to change Q-tips often and be very
gentle. You may need quite a bit of patience. I have heard of people
harming mirrors this way, but I've had no problem. Work very slowly
and stop if you are doing harm to the mirror surface.

You may want to think about having the cleaning done by a camera
repairman.

Peter.

Old May 1st 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 1 May 2009 20:14:03 +0000 (UTC), Peter Irwin
wrote:

inki wrote:

Now, when looking through the viewfinder, one can be distracted by
some dried stains that indicate where splashes of fluid hit the
mirror.

Is there an easy way to wash the inner parts of an slr camera body, if
the problem is more than just dust?

I have used 99% isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips to clean SLR mirrors
without obvious problems. Be sure to change Q-tips often and be very
gentle. You may need quite a bit of patience. I have heard of people
harming mirrors this way, but I've had no problem. Work very slowly
and stop if you are doing harm to the mirror surface.

You may want to think about having the cleaning done by a camera
repairman.

On this subject...There are three spots that show up in my images if I
shoot so the sky is in the background. They are circled in red on the
linked image. (Forget the subject; I'm just using it to show the
spots)

They are not noticeable with any other background. So far. Always in
the same place, so they are something on the lens or the mirror of my
Nikon D40. I can't see them looking at the lens or the mirror. I've
cleaned both with isopropyl alcohol, but it doesn't help.

Suggestions?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...r213/spots.jpg

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old May 1st 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 5/1/2009 2:00 PM tony cooper spake thus:

wrote:

inki wrote:

[...]

Try acetone instead of alcohol; that's what optics people use to clean
lenses. As Peter said, be very very gentle. Blow out any loose dust and
dirt first to avoid dragging particles across the delicate mirror
surface (keep in mind that this is a first-surface mirror, so you're not
cleaning glass here).

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Old May 1st 09, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Colin.D

tony cooper wrote:

snip

On this subject...There are three spots that show up in my images if I
shoot so the sky is in the background. They are circled in red on the
linked image. (Forget the subject; I'm just using it to show the
spots)

They are not noticeable with any other background. So far. Always in
the same place, so they are something on the lens or the mirror of my
Nikon D40. I can't see them looking at the lens or the mirror. I've
cleaned both with isopropyl alcohol, but it doesn't help.

Suggestions?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...r213/spots.jpg

Not on the lens or the mirror. Cannot be the mirror as it is up when
the exposure is made, and any dust or marks on a lens element is totally
out of focus and will have no effect on the image.

The spots are actually on the sensor, or the AA filter in front of the
sensor. You need to clean the sensor, or get it cleaned. Tons of info
on how to do this on google.

Colin D.
Old May 1st 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 02 May 2009 10:14:23 +1200, "Colin.D"
wrote:

tony cooper wrote:

snip

[...]

Found this on the web in a forum responding to a problem just like
mine:

Sounds like you found the "sensor", really a filter or glass over the
sensor. When you remove the lens, you see the mirror. Put the camera
in bulb mode and lock the shutter open, and that's the "sensor".
Ensure that you have plenty of battery power (or are hooked up to the
AC/DC adapter) before you stick anything into the sensor cavity. If
the shutter closes while you have something in the cavity, the shutter
will break, and you will need an expensive repair.

I have to clean my cameras often, since I shoot outdoors and change
lenses many times a day. I have found that compressed air takes care
of most problems, and a $10 bulb, like Mark mentioned, is the best way
to go for field work. If you are willing to put a little more $$ into
it, get an oil-less diaphragm compressor for an airbrush, ~$100. The
other nice thing about air is that you don't put anything in the
shutter cavity.

DO NOT use "canned air", these little cans with compressed air in
them. They contain isobutane and other hydrocarbon propellants which
can "spit" out of the can and leave spots on the sensor that will
require a liquid cleaning to remove.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida