Selecting new digital camera

Old November 15th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Javier

Default Selecting new digital camera

I'm in the market for a new digital camera and I'm wondering if I could
get some opinions on the Canon 6 MP PowerShot S3 IS Digital? My first
choice was a Nikon D50 but above my budget. Is there any advantage of
using the Cannon S3 over say a smaller (body wise) point-and-shoot
camera that supports the same amount of mega pixels?

Thanks,

Javier

Old November 15th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Philippe

Javier wrote:
I'm in the market for a new digital camera and I'm wondering if I could
get some opinions on the Canon 6 MP PowerShot S3 IS Digital? My first
choice was a Nikon D50 but above my budget. Is there any advantage of
using the Cannon S3 over say a smaller (body wise) point-and-shoot
camera that supports the same amount of mega pixels?

Thanks,

Javier

the S3 is a wonderful camera imho.. In that price range (sticking with
Canon) is also the G7. The main feature of the S3 would be it's 12x
zoom.. Things to beware on the S3 are higher noise at the 400/800 ISO
but otherwise I'm quite happy with my selection.

P.
Old November 15th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Javier

Thanks Philippe, how would the image quaility compare to the
point-an-shoot canon cameras? I'm just wondering if there's a
difference between say a PowerShot 8.0MP Digital Camera A630 other than
physical size and the fact that the PowerSHot has 8MP.

Thanks again,

Javier

Old November 15th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
iws

"Javier" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Philippe, how would the image quaility compare to the
point-an-shoot canon cameras? I'm just wondering if there's a
difference between say a PowerShot 8.0MP Digital Camera A630 other than
physical size and the fact that the PowerSHot has 8MP.

Thanks again,

Javier

I have the A620, last year's version of the A630/640 line. One feature it
has that I find very useful (use it about 30-40% of the time) is the
adjustable flip-out LCD screen. It's great for shooting over the heads of
people in a crowd and for getting views from low vantage points. It also can
fold in towards the camera body for protection.

Old November 15th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Philippe

Philippe wrote:
Javier wrote:
I'm in the market for a new digital camera and I'm wondering if I could
get some opinions on the Canon 6 MP PowerShot S3 IS Digital? My first
choice was a Nikon D50 but above my budget. Is there any advantage of
using the Cannon S3 over say a smaller (body wise) point-and-shoot
camera that supports the same amount of mega pixels?

Thanks,

Javier

the S3 is a wonderful camera imho.. In that price range (sticking with
Canon) is also the G7. The main feature of the S3 would be it's 12x
zoom.. Things to beware on the S3 are higher noise at the 400/800 ISO
but otherwise I'm quite happy with my selection.

P.

The main differences would be more on the lens/sensor size direction
than the megapixel count.. At 6mpx, the S3 more than holds it's own.

These are not the best, but they'll give you an idea of the image quality..

Here's a pre/post crop.. On the post crop, you can see some
pixelization(no post processing except for the crop), but overall the
6mpx perform well.. :P

P http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5086925
Post: http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5082640

Now, all that being said, I've taken some truly HIDEOUS pictures at
higher ISO.. and I mean BAD...
Still, considering the sensor size, I've got nothing but good things to
say about the S3.

HTH
P.
Old November 16th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Javier wrote:
I'm in the market for a new digital camera and I'm wondering if I could
get some opinions on the Canon 6 MP PowerShot S3 IS Digital? My first
choice was a Nikon D50 but above my budget. Is there any advantage of
using the Cannon S3 over say a smaller (body wise) point-and-shoot
camera that supports the same amount of mega pixels?

Thanks,

Javier

See:
Digital Cameras: Does Pixel Size Matter?
Factors in Choosing a Digital Camera
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...el.size.matter

Roger