Battery life.

Old November 18th 04, 02:19 AM
Roger

Default Battery life.

I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.

It's been about 2 1/2 years since I went digital, first with the Oly
E20-N and now the Nikon D-70.

I started out with two sets of AA NiMH batteries and added a third.
One set consisted of 8 2000 MAh batteries, one set of 4 1800 MAh,
batteries and one set of 4 1850 MAh batteries.

One of the early 2000 MAh batteries failed early on. Not too long ago
a second failed. In the last week I had one fail in each of the other
two batches.

They were heavily used at first, but since the D-70 have received only
occasional use. They have been conditioned twice in the last year.

I didn't name any brands as the failures seem to be pretty well
distributed between on and off brands.

Considering the cost of NiMH batteries, I think I ended up with
reasonable life out of them.

Likewise the rechargeable Lithiums are rated with both a cycle life
and calendar life. The proprietary battery with the D-70 seems to
have tremendous capacity, or longevity, but it's life is still rated
in the neighborhood of two years.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
..
Old November 18th 04, 02:07 PM
peter

Roger wrote:

[...]

.

Interesting. I've yet to find a digicam that draws much less than ½ amp
with the display on. Even my tiny Dimage-X pulls 400+ mA, but only about
6 mA with the display off, so the current delivering ability of a
battery of whatever type is all important. I've found the big battery
killer is overcharging. The practice of "topping up" a full battery
before a shooting session can be B A D ! Most chargers doing this won't
sense an overcharge before some electrolyte is destroyed, leading to a
battery with apparent full capacity, but reduced current ability. Of
course charging from flat allows the better chargers to predict the end
point and stop in time. I agree that the cost of NiMH cells is low
enough that the life is acceptable, provided you have a spare set for
when the inevitable happens and a fully charged set fails in camera.
The Lithium ion type can have exactly the same vulnerabilities, and they
are expensive
Old November 18th 04, 04:51 PM
Bob Shomler

Roger wrote in message . ..
I cross posted this to the 4 digital groups as it pertains to all.

It's been about 2 1/2 years since I went digital, first with the Oly
E20-N and now the Nikon D-70.

I started out with two sets of AA NiMH batteries and added a third.
One set consisted of 8 2000 MAh batteries, one set of 4 1800 MAh,
batteries and one set of 4 1850 MAh batteries.

One of the early 2000 MAh batteries failed early on. Not too long ago
a second failed. In the last week I had one fail in each of the other
two batches.

They were heavily used at first, but since the D-70 have received only
occasional use. They have been conditioned twice in the last year.

I didn't name any brands as the failures seem to be pretty well
distributed between on and off brands.

About two years with moderate to high use has been my experience with
Li-ion batteries for Canon's D60 and 10D.

Bob Shomler
www.shomler.com

Old November 19th 04, 06:10 PM
Conan The Librarian

"Roger" wrote in message
[...]

----

The great 'dedicated' battery rip-off is why I'm seriously considering the
new Pentax *ist DS - uses AA's.

Proprietary batteries are a curse - whether they are for laptops, video
cameras, or still cameras. Full marks to Pentax for building a camera that
uses an inexpensive future-proof power source.

Old November 21st 04, 05:58 PM
Keith M

Hi all

As a point of interest the guy in Jessops (Canterbury) also said that
topping up was a bad idea until the batteries had been conditioned. Ths
entails fully chaging then fully discahrging them 4 times. Discharge them by
normal use and dont force the issue by up loading vast amounts of data to
your PC - no topping up charges in this time .

This is supposed to considerably extend the useful life of batteries .

Keith M

Old November 21st 04, 09:44 PM
news

Hi All:

Some points about Lithium cells.
Lithium cells are very different from NiCad or NiMH cells.

1- Lithium batteries have a shelf life, they will go bad wither they are
used or not. How long the shelf life is depends on the manufacture and the
design of the batteries. This is a good reason not to buy used or old
lithium batteries.

2- Lithium batteries have a limit on of the number of times they can be
completely discharged and re-charged. This is about 500 to 1000 times
depending on the manufacture and the design of the cell. Un-necessarily
completely discharging a Lithium battery wastes life of the battery.

3- Lithium do not have any memory effect. In fact the best way to extend the
life of the cell to the maximum the self life will allow is to keep them
fully charged. It is best to keep them in the charger and fully charged.
Lithium batteries in the proper charger can not be over charged.

4- Charging a lithium battery in a charger not designed for that battery
risks a fire. Without proper charging lithium batteries can explode or burn
up.

--
John Passaneau, W3JXP
State College, PA

Old November 22nd 04, 01:59 PM
Damir Ulovec

"Roger" wrote in message
[...]

(Almost) everything about batteries that you want or need to know you may
found on:
http://www.buchmann.ca/

Old November 24th 04, 10:16 PM
MTBike1970

My 2 & 1/2 year old Lithium Ion batteries..original Canon G2 batteries, are
on their last legs.... I can coax about 100 shots on a full charge..vs 300
shots when they were new. A bit irritating considering their price...
Another good website about batteries is .....
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

cheers....MTB

Old November 24th 04, 11:07 PM
Michael Meissner

"MTBike1970" writes:

My 2 & 1/2 year old Lithium Ion batteries..original Canon G2 batteries, are
on their last legs.... I can coax about 100 shots on a full charge..vs 300
shots when they were new. A bit irritating considering their price...

Generally Li-on batteries last about 2 years after manufacture before they
start degrading, so it sounds about normal. Unfortunately if the manufacturer
of your camera didn't use a standard battery type, it may be expensive to
replace the battery after the model is no longer sold.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old November 25th 04, 12:20 AM
MTBike1970

I got lucky here... the battery used in the G6 will work in my G2, so I'll
probably get one soon...a battery that is...not sure if I'll get the G6.
MTB