High resolution film

Old January 23rd 05, 04:05 AM
Frank Pittel

Default High resolution film

I've been following a thread on rec.photo.darkroom about techpan
and other high resolution films such as gigabit. One thing that
I've noticed is that all of these films is that they're only available
in 135 (minature format).

Does anyone know of a high resolution film available in 4x5? While I'm
at it does anyone have any experience with the efka and j&c films. They
both have an iso25 that thinking about trying.

-------------------

Old January 23rd 05, 04:14 AM
Gregory Blank

Frank Pittel wrote:

I've been following a thread on rec.photo.darkroom about techpan
and other high resolution films such as gigabit. One thing that
I've noticed is that all of these films is that they're only available
in 135 (minature format).

Does anyone know of a high resolution film available in 4x5? While I'm
at it does anyone have any experience with the efka and j&c films. They
both have an iso25 that thinking about trying.

I've used Efke 25, reviewed it in View Camera a while back. Lets put it
this way, my taste has me content with 100 and 400 speed film. But the
film is reasonable cheap and it never hurts to try something new.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old January 23rd 05, 04:23 AM
Nick Zentena

Frank Pittel wrote:
I've been following a thread on rec.photo.darkroom about techpan
and other high resolution films such as gigabit. One thing that
I've noticed is that all of these films is that they're only available
in 135 (minature format).

Does anyone know of a high resolution film available in 4x5? While I'm
at it does anyone have any experience with the efka and j&c films. They
both have an iso25 that thinking about trying.

I thought the gigabit was sold in 4x5. But I got to ask what's the point?

Nick
Old January 23rd 05, 05:08 AM
Frank Pittel

:
: Does anyone know of a high resolution film available in 4x5? While I'm
: at it does anyone have any experience with the efka and j&c films. They
: both have an iso25 that thinking about trying.
:

: I thought the gigabit was sold in 4x5. But I got to ask what's the point?

I may have to look harder then. Do you have any idea where I can get gigabit
in 4x5? The point in trying it is simple. I like to try different things
from time to time. Last year I spent a lot of time working with Delta-100
developed in DDX. With all the talk I've been hearing about techpan (which
I've never used) I got interested in "high resolution" film. I'd just like
to stick with 4x5 while doing it.

I look at the different film and developers as tools to be used to get the
results I'm after. It never hurts to have another tool in your belt to use
when needed.

-------------------

Old January 23rd 05, 05:14 AM
Frank Pittel

Gregory Blank wrote:
: In article ,
: Frank Pittel wrote:

: I've been following a thread on rec.photo.darkroom about techpan
: and other high resolution films such as gigabit. One thing that
: I've noticed is that all of these films is that they're only available
: in 135 (minature format).
:
: Does anyone know of a high resolution film available in 4x5? While I'm
: at it does anyone have any experience with the efka and j&c films. They
: both have an iso25 that thinking about trying.

: I've used Efke 25, reviewed it in View Camera a while back. Lets put it
: this way, my taste has me content with 100 and 400 speed film. But the
: film is reasonable cheap and it never hurts to try something new.

It sounds like you weren't happy with Efke 25. :-) Can you tell a person that
doesn't read View Camera why you didn't like it in a sentence or two?
I have the feeling that based on your comments that I'm not going to put
any effort into using it.

-------------------

Old January 23rd 05, 05:16 AM
jjs

Frank Pittel wrote:

Does anyone know of a high resolution film available in 4x5? While I'm
at it does anyone have any experience with the efka and j&c films. They
both have an iso25 that thinking about trying.

Frank, I have used the J&C 25 4x5. It is very different from Kodak TM films
in terms of contrast and especially color response. As you know, I only use
Rodinal and it has just barely enough grain to give occasional edge effects.

Old January 23rd 05, 02:31 PM
Nick Zentena

Frank Pittel wrote:

: I thought the gigabit was sold in 4x5. But I got to ask what's the point?

I may have to look harder then. Do you have any idea where I can get gigabit
in 4x5? The point in trying it is simple. I like to try different things
from time to time. Last year I spent a lot of time working with Delta-100
developed in DDX. With all the talk I've been hearing about techpan (which
I've never used) I got interested in "high resolution" film. I'd just like
to stick with 4x5 while doing it.

It's on the Fotoimpex site.

http://www.fotoimpex.de/Home/films/body_films.html

http://www.fotoimpex.de/Home/films/e...gabitfilm.html

57 Euros for a box. But they don't ship to North America anymore. You'd
have to ask J&C about it.

Nick
Old January 23rd 05, 03:41 PM
Hemi4268

Does anyone know of a high resolution film available in 4x5?

Most hige reso film comes in rolls. Although some of those rolls are 5 inches
wide so you can cut all the 4x5 you want.

The big downside is the 4x5 camera itself. This is because of the rather high
f-stops used in 4x5 work do not lend itself to high resolution work.

A camera set at f-16 is really peaked for Tmax 100. This means that the camera
is really blind to any higher resolution film.

Larry
Old January 23rd 05, 04:21 PM
Gregory Blank

Frank Pittel wrote:

It sounds like you weren't happy with Efke 25. :-) Can you tell a person that
doesn't read View Camera why you didn't like it in a sentence or two?
I have the feeling that based on your comments that I'm not going to put
any effort into using it.

Not a matter of being happy or not, I shoot a fair amount of imagery in
the woods, and slower is more problematic. The slower you go the more
contrast you get also. Outdoor architectural photos it may suit the
user.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old January 23rd 05, 05:42 PM
Dr. Georg N.Nyman

Frank Pittel wrote:
I've been following a thread on rec.photo.darkroom about techpan
and other high resolution films such as gigabit. One thing that
I've noticed is that all of these films is that they're only available
in 135 (minature format).

Does anyone know of a high resolution film available in 4x5? While I'm
at it does anyone have any experience with the efka and j&c films. They
both have an iso25 that thinking about trying.

I have got the gigabit film in 4x5 inch size...got it from Germany
directly from the manufacturer...
Kind regards
George Nyman