Nikon D7000, FX trapped in a D90's body?

Old January 16th 10, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_3_]

Default Nikon D7000, FX trapped in a D90's body?

"eNo" wrote in message
While we're all speculating, here's something I dreamed up on my blog:
http://esfotoclix.com/blog1/?p=954

[.....]
There would be one other challenge for Nikon: lens availability for
the FX format, as in affordable, practical lens availability. Most of
us have the impression that FX means heavy and expensive lenses, and
that would certainly defeat the advantage of a small, light FX body.
Nikon could point out the few affordable FX lenses it offers, such as
the 24-85 f/2.8-4 and 70-300 VR, but a better move would be to
announce a couple of relatively low cost FX AFS lenses, including an
affordable super wide and a kit lens that matches the long-in-the-
tooth 24-85 f/2.8-4. Can Nikon manage to pull out a small FX body plus
a couple of lenses out of its magical hat? I think so.
[...]
~~~
eNo

There already *was* a good lens choice - the excellent
compact 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G AF-S (plus the many good
AF lenses). If such a body would add metering with older
AI/AIS lenses, a several excellent scale-focusable MF
wides is added to the list, such as the 16mm f3.5, 20mm
f2.8, 24mm f2.8, and 28mm f4 PC (I never was very fond
of trying to use that "focus confirmation" thingy while
shooting...;-).
--DR

Old January 16th 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

David Ruether wrote:
eNo wrote

While we're all speculating, here's something I dreamed up on my blog:
http://esfotoclix.com/blog1/?p=954

There would be one other challenge for Nikon: lens availability for
the FX format, as in affordable, practical lens availability. Most of
us have the impression that FX means heavy and expensive lenses, and
that would certainly defeat the advantage of a small, light FX body.
Nikon could point out the few affordable FX lenses it offers, such as
the 24-85 f/2.8-4 and 70-300 VR, but a better move would be to
announce a couple of relatively low cost FX AFS lenses, including an
affordable super wide and a kit lens that matches the long-in-the-
tooth 24-85 f/2.8-4. Can Nikon manage to pull out a small FX body plus
a couple of lenses out of its magical hat? I think so.

There already *was* a good lens choice - the excellent
compact 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G AF-S

Oh, that's AF-S so would actually work on such a body. And the 24-120
with or without VR.

(plus the many good AF lenses).

But none of those would work, in a D90 boxsize body, there's no room for
AF motor. That would be frustrating.

If such a body would add metering with older
AI/AIS lenses, a several excellent scale-focusable MF
wides is added to the list, such as the 16mm f3.5, 20mm
f2.8, 24mm f2.8, and 28mm f4 PC

Yes it seems not a big deal to allow metering.

(I never was very fond
of trying to use that "focus confirmation" thingy while
shooting...;-).

It would probably have a smaller viewfinder than the D700 which is
already not that big and not 100%, so manual focusing wouldn't be easy.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old January 16th 10, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_3_]

"David Ruether" wrote in message ...
"eNo" wrote in message
[...]

Someday I may larn English.....;-) I guess I really meant --
There already *was* a good zoom lens choice - the excellent
compact 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G AF-S (plus the many good
AF lenses). If such a compact body with a full-frame 12 MB
sensor (or better yet, one of 24x30mm for 4:5 proportion)
were to add metering with older AI/AIS lenses so that
several excellent scale-focusable MF wides could be added
to the list, such as the 16mm f3.5, 20mm f2.8, 24mm f2.8,
and 28mm f4 PC (I never was very fond of trying to use that
"focus confirmation" thingy while shooting...;-), and the
price were kept reasonable, this could be quite a desirable
camera!.
--DR

Old January 16th 10, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_3_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
David Ruether wrote:
eNo wrote While we're all speculating, here's something I dreamed up on my blog:
http://esfotoclix.com/blog1/?p=954

There would be one other challenge for Nikon: lens availability for
the FX format, as in affordable, practical lens availability. Most of
us have the impression that FX means heavy and expensive lenses, and
that would certainly defeat the advantage of a small, light FX body.
Nikon could point out the few affordable FX lenses it offers, such as
the 24-85 f/2.8-4 and 70-300 VR, but a better move would be to
announce a couple of relatively low cost FX AFS lenses, including an
affordable super wide and a kit lens that matches the long-in-the-
tooth 24-85 f/2.8-4. Can Nikon manage to pull out a small FX body plus
a couple of lenses out of its magical hat? I think so.

There already *was* a good lens choice - the excellent
compact 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G AF-S

Oh, that's AF-S so would actually work on such a body.

Yes, the "S" lenses work without needing the "screw" focus.

And the 24-120 with or without VR.

The non-VR needs the "screw" (which the D90 has...), and
the VR version (which doesn't seem to be as good, darn!)
AFs without it...

(plus the many good AF lenses).

But none of those would work, in a D90 boxsize body, there's no room for AF motor. That would be frustrating.

They AF on a D90, though, so, can it be that big a deal to
include it...?;-)

If such a body would add metering with older
AI/AIS lenses, [then] several excellent scale-focusable MF
wides is added to the list, such as the 16mm f3.5, 20mm
f2.8, 24mm f2.8, and 28mm f4 PC

Yes it seems not a big deal to allow metering.

Maybe this would be due more to marketing decisions than
anything else - and I suppose, even with a fairly high price, this
"camera" would need to stay beneath the D700 in features,
even if they are pretty basic. I hate "marketing"! ;-).

(I never was very fond
of trying to use that "focus confirmation" thingy while
shooting...;-).

It would probably have a smaller viewfinder than the D700 which is already not that big and not 100%, so manual focusing wouldn't
be easy. --
Paul Furman

It is VERY easy for reasonably distant subjects using MF
wide angle lenses to focus accurately and quickly using
accurate (checked) focus scales with reasonable distance
marking spacings and not-too-fast focus ring turn. I do like
large and SHARP eyepiece viewfinders, though (remember
how good the F/F2/early-F3's were? ;-).
--DR

Old January 17th 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

David Ruether wrote:
Paul Furman wrote
David Ruether wrote:
eNo wrote:
While we're all speculating, here's something I dreamed up on my blog:
http://esfotoclix.com/blog1/?p=954

There would be one other challenge for Nikon: lens availability for
the FX format, as in affordable, practical lens availability. Most of
us have the impression that FX means heavy and expensive lenses, and
that would certainly defeat the advantage of a small, light FX body.
Nikon could point out the few affordable FX lenses it offers, such as
the 24-85 f/2.8-4 and 70-300 VR, but a better move would be to
announce a couple of relatively low cost FX AFS lenses, including an
affordable super wide and a kit lens that matches the long-in-the-
tooth 24-85 f/2.8-4. Can Nikon manage to pull out a small FX body plus
a couple of lenses out of its magical hat? I think so.

There already *was* a good lens choice - the excellent
compact 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G AF-S

...the "screw" (which the D90 has...)

Ah, right, my mistake.

[...]

Yes that can work just reading the distance scale on the focus ring, I
should remember to do it more often.

I do like
large and SHARP eyepiece viewfinders, though (remember
how good the F/F2/early-F3's were? ;-).

I never used those but just got another Nikon EM (gave the first away to
a kid, who's father promptly lost it :-( ...which has a huge
viewfinder and useful split prism. The viewfinder doesn't work as well
with glasses, you need to move around to see the whole thing but it's
still a treat. All that in the smallest 35mm camera Nikon ever made.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old January 17th 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_3_]

David Ruether wrote:

I do like
large and SHARP eyepiece viewfinders, though (remember
how good the F/F2/early-F3's were? ;-).

I never used those

Sharp to the corners, without linear distortion, bright, 100%,
and VERY easy to focus with *WITHOUT* the distracting
"focus aids" (B-screen) - and a good unobtrusive (E) screen
was available, also with a matte center. Also, it was easy to
see the whole frame with glasses even with the non-HP
standard prism - but the HP finders and "sports" finders
gave even more eye-relief.

but just got another Nikon EM (gave the first away to a kid, who's father promptly lost it :-( ...which has a huge viewfinder
and useful split prism. The viewfinder doesn't work as well with glasses, you need to move around to see the whole thing but it's
still a treat. All that in the smallest 35mm camera Nikon ever made. --
Paul Furman

I really like the same-sized (but with MANY more features)
FG. In terms of sharp central VF focusing ease, it is hard to
beat a "B" screen in an FA, FE, or FM - the magnification
is quite high (at the expense of easy viewing with glasses,
though...). The soft shutter release of the FA combined with
its small size and ease of hand-holding made it my favorite
film camera for travel - and the accuracy of the VF and
great metering of the F3 made it my favorite for "slow" pro
work. But then there was the N2000, basically an FG
upsized a bit to include a motor which "sipped" battery life
(the 4 AAAs seemed to last forever). 'Course, I also liked
the N8008 for "fast" pro work since the flash control with
the fast-recycling SB-24 was excellent. And fortunately, as
I unfortunately began to need AF, the F100 arrived with
excellent AF plus everything else I needed. I still have most
of these cameras sitting on my shelves - but I exercise their
shutters every couple of months...

BTW, if you get a rubber eyecup that fits the EM/FG20/FG/
N2000/N2020 and carefully cut off the "cup", you can reverse
it and place it on the above cameras (plus several others) to
offer glasses protection.
--DR

Old January 18th 10, 04:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

David Ruether wrote:
Paul Furman wrote
David Ruether wrote:

I do like
large and SHARP eyepiece viewfinders, though (remember
how good the F/F2/early-F3's were? ;-).

I never used those

Sharp to the corners, without linear distortion, bright, 100%,
and VERY easy to focus with *WITHOUT* the distracting
"focus aids" (B-screen) - and a good unobtrusive (E) screen
was available, also with a matte center. Also, it was easy to
see the whole frame with glasses even with the non-HP
standard prism - but the HP finders and "sports" finders
gave even more eye-relief.

but just got another Nikon EM
...which has a huge viewfinder and useful split prism.
The viewfinder doesn't work as well with glasses,
you need to move around to see the whole thing but it's

rubber eyecup

Ah, good point, no rubber on the VF either. It is a very basic camera.
Maybe just a little black electrical tape.

It's odd shooting film again!

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old January 21st 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_4_]

"David Ruether" wrote in message

[ . . . ]
There already *was* a good zoom lens choice - the excellent
compact 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G AF-S (plus the many good
AF lenses). If such a compact body with a full-frame 12 MB
sensor (or better yet, one of 24x30mm for 4:5 proportion)
were to add metering with older AI/AIS lenses so that
several excellent scale-focusable MF wides could be added
to the list, such as the 16mm f3.5, 20mm f2.8, 24mm f2.8,
and 28mm f4 PC (I never was very fond of trying to use that
"focus confirmation" thingy while shooting...;-), and the
price were kept reasonable, this could be quite a desirable
camera!.

Right, the "focus confirmation thingy" is not at all convenient to use for
manual focusing. But have you tried the electronic rangefinder in the D60
and D3000 (probably D5000 too)? That really works quite well, and I presume
it will be included in all future Nikons that don't have the AF motor in the
body.