A stupid question

Old August 14th 04, 05:07 AM
MrAVenez

Default A stupid question

Hi everyone,

I don't actually have a digital camera question, but I think this might be the
best group to ask it in. I often print photos on my Epson 820 printer, but
sometimes when I print an 8X10 I have a problem with blurring. Its not
something that is very noticeable, but its just that the pictures look a lot
less sharp than they do on my computer screen. I know that photographs lose
quality when they are enlarged, but I'm wondering if there is a different
format that I could save them in (I'm using JPEG), to improve the resolution.
These are not digital pictures, they are 35mm that were developed on floppy
disk. Also, if it matters, I'm using Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper.

One more question, I took several small pictures to CVS to enlarge into 8X10,
and I never had this problem with blurring. I know it's probably something I'm
doing, but as I was reading old posts in Google, I was getting totally
confused.

Thanks, MrA
Old August 14th 04, 05:14 AM
Banjopikr1

A stupid question

If the pic was on a floppy, then the pic is too small for 8X10. If there was
several pics on the floppy, then they are way too small.Try 4X6 size and see
how they look.

Old August 14th 04, 05:20 AM
Ken Weitzel

MrAVenez wrote:
[...]

Hi Mr A

No such thing as a stupid question... everybody starts
somewhere...

Unfortunately though, no one's going to be able to give you
a helpful answer until you describe what exactly it is
you're trying to print...

The fact that it's sharp on your monitor versus sharp
when you print it is apples and oranges... it always
will be.

Tell us the image info on it.. open it up in your
favorite image editor and tell us the image size;
the dots per inch. (not confusing pixels per inch
with dots per inch - ignore the 72 or 96 number)

Take care.

Ken

Old August 14th 04, 09:37 AM
Bob Williams

MrAVenez wrote:
[...]

Banjopicker hit the nail on the head.
If you had a roll of 35 mm film digitized on a floppy, chances are each
image is around 640 x 480 pixels or 0.3 Megapixels...
Even though 640 x 480 will display well on a monitor, it is WAY too
small to get a decent 8 X 10 print.
I suggest you have the film digitized to a CD. Make sure the images are
at least 1200 x 1800 pixels,(2.2MP)and preferably 1800 X 2700 pixels
(4.9 MP)
The former will give you a decent 8x10. The latter will give you a
killer 8x10.
Bob Williams

Old August 14th 04, 01:58 PM
Gene Palmiter

I am going to have to visit CVS and see what they are up to. A friend
visited with a 3.5 disk with scans from a roll of film and wanted me to show
him how to send one of them with a press release by email. We went ahead and
scanned from the negatives...but why would anyone put a roll of film on a
floppy? What use could they be?