I've Seen the Future

Old March 3rd 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default I've Seen the Future

In article , "RJ"
writes
In fact, I don't know of any people who "camera up" when they dress in
the morning.

My Minolta Xt goes on my belt every morning; there are a few places I do
not take it, foe these I have a 'toy' camera in my mobile phone. That
the phone camera is not bad for what it is maybe true, but this is
because what it is is not very good.
--
Ian G8ILZ
Old March 3rd 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

SimonLW wrote:
"John Wilson" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:21:39 -0000, "David Wright"
wrote:

There is no way any Phone can even approach the quality of a
cheap
Digital
Camera.

I beg to differ - my phone already takes pictures that are not
only
larger,
but sharper and clearer than the photos my first Digital Camera
took when I
got it back in 1996.

The phone (value £150) takes 1024x768 photos, the digital camera
(cost over
£500) took 800x600.

Give it time and I have no doubts future phones will eclipse the
digital cameras of today!

D.

The first digital camera I tried was in about 1985 (yes), a
prototype
Sony Mavica. Considerably bigger and heavier than a 35mm SLR -
quality awful, though can't remember the pixel count.

I bought a FD series Mavica when they came out commercially in
about
1995, that recorded about 40 exposures of 640x480 pixel pictures
onto
a 1.44Mb floppy disk in the back of the camera. My phone's now got
two cameras (one front and one back), and both far better than that
1995 Mavica. Give it five/ten years and phone cameras could well
be
as good as current digitals.

John Wilson

Remove characters from e-mail address to reply
www.yachtsnet.co.uk - full service online yacht
brokerage with full details and multiple photos
of all boats. Free classified adverts for small
boats and genuinely useful marine links.

I still doubt this. For one, a decent sized camera phone will need a
larger sensor such as 1/1.8" and to be as useful as a camera it
would
likely need a zoom lens of reasonable speed and AF. A camera phone
as
this would be bulky and the trend is compact and thin. There is a
limit to how good photos can be from the current fixed focus tiny
camera phone lenses. I haven't seen a camera phone that delivered as
nice an image as my 1999 2mp Kodak DC280. -S

Makes sense to me. What I foresee is an iPod-sized processing center
that will accept wireless transmissions from any of a range of
communications and imaging sources the size of a wris****ch, perhaps
worn like one. Or like an ear-ring, or hatpin. Any number of
extensions or options available for enthusiasts.

The processing appliance might relay information to any likely
recipient (such as your home PC) via satellite.

It could happen.

--
Frank ess

--
Frank ess

Forecasting is difficult.
Particularly about the Future.
—Deepak Gupta

Old March 3rd 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"" wrote:

I don't carry a camera as a matter of course.
It's one more thing to fill a pocket and weigh me down.

In fact, I don't know of any people who "camera up"
when they dress in the morning.

And yet, we all want to take pics......

My son recently got a cellphone that takes pics.
Like so many people I see today,
his "cell" is with him constantly.

AND HE TAKES PICTURES !
Dozens of pictures......
Surprisingly good pics ( for a secondary function )
Pictures of events, activitys, people
( when I would be saying; "Wish I had my camera with me" )

I predict it'll be a matter of time when digital cameras dissapear !
And we'll all be clicking and saying :"Can you see me now".

rj

I think 'we' as in the person who is interested in snapshots only may
be. As trolling goes this one is pretty lame.

--
Paul (This is really happening, happening)
Stop and Look
Old March 3rd 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Helen" wrote in message

"RJ" wrote in message

I predict it'll be a matter of time when digital cameras dissapear !
And we'll all be clicking and saying :"Can you see me now".

Can you predict when I'll be able to stick my 17-40 L onto a phone?
No, I thought not.

Your 17-40L will not be needed, "if" they could improve the small sensors
enough, the lens could then be much smaller dont you think.

Old March 3rd 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I will keep the camera or it might be a phone then to, but when a phone
takes as good a photos as my present P&S , P&S will be as good as large
format film. A dedicated camera will always do better.

Old March 3rd 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

My kids RAZR cell phone takes amazingly good pix for a cellphone.

Old March 3rd 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:08:45 -0600, m Ransley wrote:

Makes sense to me. What I foresee is an iPod-sized processing
center that will accept wireless transmissions from any of a range
of communications and imaging sources the size of a wris****ch,
perhaps worn like one. Or like an ear-ring, or hatpin. Any number
of extensions or options available for enthusiasts.

I will keep the camera or it might be a phone then to, but when a phone
takes as good a photos as my present P&S , P&S will be as good as large
format film. A dedicated camera will always do better.

Many people have noted that current sub-compact cameras are
already too small for them to be held as steadily as compacts. A
useful accessory might be a lightweight camera shaped travel case
that can hold the camera/phone, a spare battery and an extra card or
two, and that is designed to act as a dock/handle for the camera (or
phone) if desired, to reduce camera shake. Stealth cameras
resembling wris****ches, earrings or hatpins may be possible, but
unless a practical viewfinder can be devised for them, they'll be
used primarily by gadget freaks, P.I.s and covert ops.

Old March 3rd 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

[...]

I fully expect phone cameras to completely supplant lower echelon digital
point and shoots in the very near future. Why buy a 3-5mp credit card sized
point and shoot, when your camera has a 3mp sensor, flash and (small ratio)
zoom? So, equally, what's the point in selling them?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old March 4th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 13:23:40 -0500, "SimonLW" wrote:

I still doubt this. For one, a decent sized camera phone will need a larger
sensor such as 1/1.8" and to be as useful as a camera it would likely need a
zoom lens of reasonable speed and AF. A camera phone as this would be bulky
and the trend is compact and thin. There is a limit to how good photos can
be from the current fixed focus tiny camera phone lenses. I haven't seen a
camera phone that delivered as nice an image as my 1999 2mp Kodak DC280.
-S

Part of my premis was that
You can't get the picture if you don't have a camera ( with you )

We don't all carry a camera everywhere, every day.

But many people DO holster up a cell-phone every day.
And, the practice is becoming more and more prevalent.

Regardless of quality, the cell-phone pic
will be better than the one you wish you had taken
( if you'd had your camera with )

rj
Old March 4th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Helen" wrote in message

"RJ" wrote in message

I predict it'll be a matter of time when digital cameras dissapear !
And we'll all be clicking and saying :"Can you see me now".

Can you predict when I'll be able to stick my 17-40 L onto a phone?
No, I thought not.

No, You'll be putting the phone on to the 17-40
John