LightRoom Mobile and external storage

Old October 18th 17, 09:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

Default LightRoom Mobile and external storage

Hi,

I'm trying to design a workflow for handling 20 years / 200GB of photos

As I'm on a train a lot, basic "pick and rate" on my phone would be
important with use of a PC/Mac to do retouching and keywording of the
higher rated items.

So as far as DAMs go, Lightroom seems to be the only one that can sync
MobilePC and allow some useful activity on the Mobile end.
(Though if anyone knows of any others, I'd like to know

Starting with LR-Mobile:

I know it can (on Android) handle photos stored on both the phone's
flash and the internal removable SD card.

Q1: But - can it work with assets on an external card connected via the
USB/OTG port? In other words, can I have a collection of image sets on
random SD cards all managed by one catalogue and plug the cards into the
USB port to work on them?

Q2: Failing that, does anyone know if it can handle the internal SD card
being swapped with different image sets?

The way I'd like to work is to treat my phone (and some microSD cards)
as primary storage for RAW files, rate and review, then sync via Adobe
CC to a PC/Mac with lots of storage - so at all times, I have everything
in 2 places.

If that's cockeyed and there's another way to achieve a good workflow
that's mobile centric, please do tell If this works out, I'd consider
getting an iPadPro to be the mobile device to make review and basic
editing easier.

Many thanks for any ideas/comments

Cheers, Tim
Old October 18th 17, 11:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

I use an Android smartphone, the Xperia M4 to make photographic notes
sometimes but use Sonys soft to sync it over to the Mac and work from
there. I do have Photoshop for Android and other mobile photo apps
installed but just use them for a grin occasionally. Good luck with your
mobile workflow. Lightroom for Android and iPhone should do the same
things for you. Some folks would suggest that you use the cloud for
storage here but I wouldn't...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 18th 17, 01:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 18, 2017, Tim Watts wrote
(in ):

Hi,

I'm trying to design a workflow for handling 20 years / 200GB of photos

What is your current workflow (storage, and software)?

[...]

I was going through a similar thought process for a travel/road workflow. In
years past I used a MacBook Pro and external hard drives for backup, and
major transfer to my desktop Mac. In those days global transfer and cloud
services could not be relied upon in all locations. So my redundant on the
road backup was; Colorspace UDMA, Laptop, & external harddrive. Images (not
everything) I wanted for immediate online sharing, or additional backup went
to Dropbox. Since then the MBP has aged beyond capability to update to
current macOS, and will not support Adobe CC. I have retired and I cannot
justify the cost of a new MBP, (i’d rather buy new photo kit, lenses, etc.)
so I looked at the Macbook Air, Macbook, or iPad Pro.

Last year I took an overseas trip and I decided to travel light, so my only
computing device was an iPhone 6S+ (128 GB) with Lightroom Mobile. Tx from
camera to iPhone was space limited, so primary backup was to my 1 TB
Colorspace UDMA and additional phone storage to a SandiskiXpand flash drive.
They have several solutions.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3

https://www.sandisk.com/home

Since then I have bought a 10.5” iPad Pro (512GB). I have all the Adobe
Mobile apps installed, and Affinity Photo for iPad. I still have the Sandisk
iXpand flash to use with the iPad Pro, and the UDMA for primary on-the-road
backup. With iOS11 the file system (iCloud Drive) together with Apple iCloud
service has become a reliable additional resource, so I have additional
iCloud storage, it is cheap enough.

I think that having a bunch of different micro SD cards for different LR
collections might be more than LR Mobile could deal with. I could be wrong.

LR Mobile-LR CC syncing works very well, and for the type of shooting I am
going to do on a trip the iPad Pro, with the software I have installed, is
going to meet my travel computing needs.

LR Mobile on my iPad with synced collections.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/224ruvnwsh1sf07/LRM-1.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qm92cl0msvkus2/LRM-2.png

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/ipad/

....and Affinity Photo on my iPad.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/axg14zd124mugwz/APM-1.png

Savageduck

Old October 18th 17, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

[...]

Why is this?

"User replaceable/installable hard drive/SSD ( Support up to 2TB
merchanical drive, and 1TB SSD, not compatible with Sandisk SSD.)"

Old October 18th 17, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

Last year I took an overseas trip and I decided to travel light, so my only
computing device was an iPhone 6S+ (128 GB) with Lightroom Mobile. Tx from
camera to iPhone was space limited, so primary backup was to my 1 TB
Colorspace UDMA and additional phone storage to a SandiskiXpand flash drive.
They have several solutions.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3

That's an empty box this thingy seem to be a way better deal and you get
1TB storage from the get go:

https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wire...-Drive/dp/B00M
9B3XZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508340637&sr =1-1&keywords=me
mory+card+backup+device&refinements=p_n_feature_tw o_browse-bin%3A54468120
11

http://tinyurl.com/y8tqg64m
--
teleportation kills
Old October 18th 17, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

On 18/10/17 13:35, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 18, 2017, Tim Watts wrote
(in ):

Hi,

I'm trying to design a workflow for handling 20 years / 200GB of photos

What is your current workflow (storage, and software)?

Hi

None really - I have a ton of photos sitting on my home linux fileserver
and sync'd to my laptop, in folders b y date and further grouped by year.

I'm looking to start managing this properly - with cataloging/pick/rate
being the priority.

Then the "good" ones will get some retouching if needed.

[...]

OK - thanks. Am I right that LR-PC/Mac can manage offline storage,
provided you only have one catalogue?

LR Mobile-LR CC syncing works very well, and for the type of shooting I am
going to do on a trip the iPad Pro, with the software I have installed, is
going to meet my travel computing needs.

Encouraging

I can at the moment fit everything on a single 256GB card - so I might
try something like (which I already have a script for):

1) Dupe to slow reliable SDCard which I keep at work in a wallet in my
desk; That's also my "offsite backup"

2) After Pick/Reject, delete the rejected from my phone's card - it's
likely I can keep my entire Picked catalgue under 256GB - at least until
the microSD cards double in size.

LR Mobile on my iPad with synced collections.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/224ruvnwsh1sf07/LRM-1.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qm92cl0msvkus2/LRM-2.png

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/ipad/

...and Affinity Photo on my iPad.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/axg14zd124mugwz/APM-1.png

Cool - thank you for that.
Old October 18th 17, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 18, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

[...]

You can buy several different configurations, from the empty build your own,
to severalk different size options. For whatever reason, there seems to be a
compatibility issue with Sandisk SSD.

The current version is the UDMA3. I bought my UDMA with a 250GB drive back in
2001. Since then I have changed the drive to 1TB and replaced the battery.
All very simple upgrades, just two screw to remove to open it up.

Savageduck

Old October 18th 17, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 18, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

Last year I took an overseas trip and I decided to travel light, so my only
computing device was an iPhone 6S+ (128 GB) with Lightroom Mobile. Tx from
camera to iPhone was space limited, so primary backup was to my 1 TB
Colorspace UDMA and additional phone storage to a SandiskiXpand flash drive.
They have several solutions.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3

That's an empty box this thingy seem to be a way better deal and you get
1TB storage from the get go:

Yup!

https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wire...-Drive/dp/B00M
9B3XZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508340637&sr =1-1&keywords=me
mory+card+backup+device&refinements=p_n_feature_tw o_browse-bin%3A54468120
11

http://tinyurl.com/y8tqg64m

There is nothing wrong with that. The UDMA was the best of its kind back
then, and even now has the advantage of having an LCD display, and slots for
CF, SD, and a bunch of other memory cards.

Savageduck

Old October 18th 17, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Oct 18, 2017, android wrote
(in ):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

[...]

It seems that you can back up from a SD card and then browse it from a
mobile device. From Amazon:

Built-in SD card slot
Wirelessly connect with your mobile devices
Back up or transfer photos and videos from your SD card

Whatever. For it to be a true backup you would need to have an
additional disk mirrored on the side or keep to the data on the cards
and thus have cards to cover you for the whole trip. I think that I'll
bring my 10" Acer and an external 2.5"HD enclosure on my next longer
trip to mirror important stuff. Seems safer than to fiddle with pads,
tabs or phones...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 18th 17, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 18, 2017, Tim Watts wrote
(in ):

On 18/10/17 13:35, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 18, 2017, Tim Watts wrote
(in ):

Hi,

I'm trying to design a workflow for handling 20 years / 200GB of photos

What is your current workflow (storage, and software)?

Hi

None really - I have a ton of photos sitting on my home linux fileserver
and sync'd to my laptop, in folders b y date and further grouped by year.

I'm looking to start managing this properly - with cataloging/pick/rate
being the priority.

Then the "good" ones will get some retouching if needed.

Currently the best of breed for asset management is Lightroom, and if you are
going that route, then there is a new development which might suit you even
better. Adobe has just announced a change to their Adobe CC line up which
would give you 1TB of Adobe Creative Cloud storage and new Lightroom CC for
$10/month. With 1TB you wouldn’t need any elaborate storage. I currently
use the Photography plan which gives me 20GB.

http://news.adobe.com/press-release/...ntroduces-new-
lightroom-cc-cloud-photography-service

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/18/...-adobe-update-
release-price-photography

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/18/bye...oom-cc-faster-
lightroom-classic/

BTW: 200GB of photos over 20 years, is not a particularly large amount. These
days with larger sensors and file sizes it is possible to accumulate massive
archives. At a single 4-6 hour event such as an airshow, or motorsport event
shooting 100GB or more would not be unusual.

[...]

You can only have one catalogue at a time. You can have several catalogues,
and some pro users go that route to separate individual client shoots, but
for most of us working with a single catalogue is simpler.

LR Mobile-LR CC syncing works very well, and for the type of shooting I am
going to do on a trip the iPad Pro, with the software I have installed, is
going to meet my travel computing needs.

Encouraging

I can at the moment fit everything on a single 256GB card - so I might
try something like (which I already have a script for):

1) Dupe to slow reliable SDCard which I keep at work in a wallet in my
desk; That's also my "offsite backup"

2) After Pick/Reject, delete the rejected from my phone's card - it's
likely I can keep my entire Picked catalgue under 256GB - at least until
the microSD cards double in size.

From what you have said, I assume that your photography is mostly shot on
your phone.