(SI) Round, Round We Go explained.

Old June 10th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

Default (SI) Round, Round We Go explained.

The mandate Jim chose was a good opportunity for me to illustrate how the
visual and tactile can meld.

I chose the apple and the cup because I knew the bumpy, translucent
material of the cup would produce an interesting highlight pattern, as long
as the exposure was controlled. If I set the flash too high, the background
tended to gray out so much that the highlights weren't very pronounced.
And, of course, if I underexposed too much, there was nothing to see.

While the final result is a bit dark, I think it does a good job of
conveying how using the sense of touch can produce a subject / background
combination as visually distinctive as it is tactually interesting.

I hope everyone enjoyed the pic.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old June 10th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Dudley Hanks wrote:
The mandate Jim chose was a good opportunity for me to illustrate how the
visual and tactile can meld.

I chose the apple and the cup because I knew the bumpy, translucent
material of the cup would produce an interesting highlight pattern, as long
as the exposure was controlled. If I set the flash too high, the background
tended to gray out so much that the highlights weren't very pronounced.
And, of course, if I underexposed too much, there was nothing to see.

While the final result is a bit dark, I think it does a good job of
conveying how using the sense of touch can produce a subject / background
combination as visually distinctive as it is tactually interesting.

I hope everyone enjoyed the pic.

I hate to disappoint you but I found it bland.

The geometry is interesting.

I think if you had set this outside in warm light, you would have gotten
something much more pleasing color wise in the glass, with or without a
pop of flash (about -1 to -1.5).

Or pop the flash from off to the side through the glass.

(For the SI, I would suggest that 1024 x = 1024 be the maximum
dimension of the image. This, oddly, would have strengthened the
contrast...)

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 10th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Dudley Hanks wrote:
The mandate Jim chose was a good opportunity for me to illustrate how the
visual and tactile can meld.

I chose the apple and the cup because I knew the bumpy, translucent
material of the cup would produce an interesting highlight pattern, as
long as the exposure was controlled. If I set the flash too high, the
background tended to gray out so much that the highlights weren't very
pronounced. And, of course, if I underexposed too much, there was nothing
to see.

While the final result is a bit dark, I think it does a good job of
conveying how using the sense of touch can produce a subject / background
combination as visually distinctive as it is tactually interesting.

I hope everyone enjoyed the pic.

I hate to disappoint you but I found it bland.

Oh, don't worry, it takes a lot to disappoint me.

The geometry is interesting.

I think if you had set this outside in warm light, you would have gotten
something much more pleasing color wise in the glass, with or without a
pop of flash (about -1 to -1.5).

I tried it outside, but the highlights disappeared. Instead, I ended up
with a blurred background, only slightly different than would have been
obtained by using a wide aperture. It was interesting, but, I wanted the
starkness of the blackish background interrupted by the patterned
highlights. After all, I was after a visual representation of a tactile
pattern.

Or pop the flash from off to the side through the glass.

That is exactly what I did. I positioned my HF DC-1 flash about 10 feet to
the side, and it was triggered by the A720's flash set to low. This was
part of the problem I faced in getting this shot. Since the apple and cup
were right at the end of my lens, it was difficult to keep the in-camera
flash from greying out the highlight pattern. When I shot the pic, the room
was totally dark, and I wanted the pattern to be as consistent as I could
get it throughout its diameter, so I tried as much as possible to keep the
surroundings from showing through as blurred splotches.

Since the flash was remote, the exposure wasn't entirely controlled by ETTL,
but I was able to use the exposure compensation to adjust the relative
brightness of the shot.

Also, I didn't have the camera positioned over the apple; instead, I had
the cup and apple on its side, and I had the camera on a tripod in the same
configuration you see when you view the pic on your monitor. A reflector
was positioned under the apple and cup to help get the light to wrap around
to every side. This way, some light reflected off of the white ceiling, and
some off of the reflector under the subject. It took a while to set it up,
but I think I achieved the affect I was after.

If you found it bland, I guess that, er, it's not your cup of tea?

(For the SI, I would suggest that 1024 x = 1024 be the maximum dimension
of the image. This, oddly, would have strengthened the contrast...)

Yeah, I think you are right about that point. I tried out a few different
sizes on a few different people, and I went with the plurality as the size I
chose. But, I personally liked a small size for the image. But, then
again, I can't fit too many large images into what is left of my restricted
visual field, so I tend to defer to sighted opinions as much as possible.

Thanks for the feedback, Alan, I appreciate it.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old June 10th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Dudley Hanks wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Alan, I appreciate it.

Alan is pretty good with lighting... interesting discussion. I think the
image came out very well. The darkness in the center is odd but helps to
emphasize the ring of glass.

link to the smaller 'large' version that fits on a screen:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/98216633/large

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net