Two new 15MP DSRLs...

Old January 26th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Two new 15MP DSRLs...

.... and nobody talks about them. Which is better - the Samsung GX-20 or
the Pentax K20D ?
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 26th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Alfred Molon wrote:
... and nobody talks about them. Which is better - the Samsung GX-20
or the Pentax K20D ?

People are waiting for the main event....

David

Old January 26th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
... and nobody talks about them. Which is better - the Samsung GX-20 or
the Pentax K20D ?

Same camera, same sensor. RAW files from each will depend on the lens
attached (all else being equal).

We'll see when the test images are posted.

Old January 26th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Silevitch

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:30:30 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:
... and nobody talks about them. Which is better - the Samsung GX-20 or
the Pentax K20D ?

Aren't they basically the same camera, with some cosmetic differences?

The K10D seems to be fairly well regarded, so I would imagine that this
upgrade will be a good camera. Beyond that, I haven't a clue.

-dms

Old January 26th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article ,
Daniel Silevitch says...
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:30:30 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:
... and nobody talks about them. Which is better - the Samsung GX-20 or
the Pentax K20D ?

Aren't they basically the same camera, with some cosmetic differences?

Not sure about that. There are apparently some differences in the user
interface and perhaps the internal electronics and software is also
different. The live preview on the K20D seems to be very basic (no
histogram displayed for instance).
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 27th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Stavrakoglou

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
... and nobody talks about them. Which is better - the Samsung GX-20 or
the Pentax K20D ?

Probably too close to each other to really say. The two real differences I
saw in the K10D and GX10 was that the Samsung RAW files are DNG. I don't
use the camera nor have I used DNG files so I don't know if that's an
advantage or disadvantage. The other is the better warranty on he Samsung -
4 years. That might be enough to sway someone over to the Samsung braded
camera if they continue with this length of warranty period.

Old January 28th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Peter Stavrakoglou
says...

Probably too close to each other to really say. The two real differences I
saw in the K10D and GX10 was that the Samsung RAW files are DNG. I don't
use the camera nor have I used DNG files so I don't know if that's an
advantage or disadvantage.

DNG is a disadvantage with some RAW converters, for instance the Adobe
one, because the settings are stored inside the DNG file, so every time
you make some changes to the settings you are forced to backup a multi-
megabyte file instead of a small settings file.
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 28th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Roberts

Alfred Molon wrote:

DNG is a disadvantage with some RAW converters, for instance the Adobe
one, because the settings are stored inside the DNG file, so every time
you make some changes to the settings you are forced to backup a multi-
megabyte file instead of a small settings file.

With DNG you have the *option* of storing these settings in the DNG
file itself, but it's not required.

--
Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com

Old January 28th 08, 07:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Mark Roberts
says...
Alfred Molon wrote:

DNG is a disadvantage with some RAW converters, for instance the Adobe
one, because the settings are stored inside the DNG file, so every time
you make some changes to the settings you are forced to backup a multi-
megabyte file instead of a small settings file.

With DNG you have the *option* of storing these settings in the DNG
file itself, but it's not required.

Not with the Adobe converter. There is no way to set it up to store the
settings in the sidecar files. Also, when opening a DNG file, the Adobe
converter will ignore sidecar files.
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 28th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Alfred Molon" ?????? ??? ??????
In article , Mark Roberts
says...
Alfred Molon wrote:

DNG is a disadvantage with some RAW converters, for instance the Adobe
one, because the settings are stored inside the DNG file, so every time
you make some changes to the settings you are forced to backup a multi-
megabyte file instead of a small settings file.

With DNG you have the *option* of storing these settings in the DNG
file itself, but it's not required.

Not with the Adobe converter. There is no way to set it up to store the
settings in the sidecar files. Also, when opening a DNG file, the Adobe
converter will ignore sidecar files.
--

Sidecar files?I like English!(and digital photography, too).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering