20D IN DEEP TROUBLE !

Old January 27th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default 20D IN DEEP TROUBLE !

Word on the street is that this may hint at my Shoot-In entry for this
week's "Teeth" mandate.

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/73588758

Old January 27th 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Graham Fountain

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
Word on the street is that this may hint at my Shoot-In entry for this
week's "Teeth" mandate.

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/73588758

I'm curious though as to why you've used such a high ISO AND high shutter
speed. Surely with the lower noise of ISO 800, and still at about 1/300th
sec shutter speed, you'd have got a better shot.

Old January 27th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Chant

Graham Fountain wrote:

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
Word on the street is that this may hint at my Shoot-In entry for this
week's "Teeth" mandate.

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/73588758

I'm curious though as to why you've used such a high ISO AND high shutter
speed. Surely with the lower noise of ISO 800, and still at about 1/300th
sec shutter speed, you'd have got a better shot.

You try that with a shark approaching...

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old January 27th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Jan 27, 2:55 am, "Graham Fountain" wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/73588758

I'm curious though as to why you've used such a high ISO AND high shutter
speed. Surely with the lower noise of ISO 800, and still at about 1/300th
sec shutter speed, you'd have got a better shot.

Not likely. It is very dark in the aquarium waters. Hence, the 3200
ISO and the f/1.2 aperture.
I usually shoot in Aperture Priority (AV) mode and let the 20D choose
the shutter speed. At the ISO 800 setting you mentioned, most of the
pics would come out very blurry with the moving fishes.

Old January 28th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

Annika1980 wrote:
On Jan 27, 2:55 am, "Graham Fountain" wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/73588758

I'm curious though as to why you've used such a high ISO AND high
shutter speed. Surely with the lower noise of ISO 800, and still at
about 1/300th sec shutter speed, you'd have got a better shot.

Not likely. It is very dark in the aquarium waters. Hence, the 3200
ISO and the f/1.2 aperture.
I usually shoot in Aperture Priority (AV) mode and let the 20D choose
the shutter speed. At the ISO 800 setting you mentioned, most of the
pics would come out very blurry with the moving fishes.

Surely it wouldn't require 1/1250th though... -Heck, a sprinting NFL
receiver doesn't even require half that fast a shutter.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 28th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Jan 28, 12:05 am, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number
wrote:
Surely it wouldn't require 1/1250th though... -Heck, a sprinting NFL
receiver doesn't even require half that fast a shutter.

That fish pic was a "fluke." Using Av (Aperture Priority) mode most
of the shots in the dark water would come out at like 1/30 or so. The
shark happened to be swimming thru a light beam so that shot came out
much faster.

Old January 28th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Graham Fountain

ups.com...

wrote:
Surely it wouldn't require 1/1250th though... -Heck, a sprinting NFL
receiver doesn't even require half that fast a shutter.

That fish pic was a "fluke." Using Av (Aperture Priority) mode most
of the shots in the dark water would come out at like 1/30 or so. The
shark happened to be swimming thru a light beam so that shot came out
much faster.

Ok, that makes sense then. Thanks for explaining. I thought you were nuts
originally, by using such a high ISO and high shutter - even a fast moving
fishy wouldn't need a shutter that fast, but if it was just a once off spot
where the light was good enough for that, then I can agree with your choice
of settings.

Old January 29th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

wrote:
Surely it wouldn't require 1/1250th though... -Heck, a sprinting NFL
receiver doesn't even require half that fast a shutter.

Unless you are shooting a frogfish while he is eating.....The frogfish has
the fastest mouth in the sea. It takes only 6 milliseconds to open, swallow
and close.