20D GETS SOME TONGUE !

Old January 15th 07, 07:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark˛

Default 20D GETS SOME TONGUE !

William Graham wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:
Mark˛ (lowest even number here) wrote:

Annika1980 wrote:

I've often wondered about that too. Their tongue has barbs on it so
they can catch loose hairs when they groom themselves.

There's a stray cat that comes around and sleeps in a nook on the
side of my house. I sometimes leave out milk. Even if the milk
freezes he manages to scrape most of it up...

That's how we got our feral cat....First the milk, then kibbles to go
with the milk, then a cardboard box to sleep in, then a waterproof
heating pad for the Winter months, then a cat door into the garage,
then move the food and box into the garage, then into the
house.....Now, 5 years later, the cat is sleeping on our bed and eats
nothing but roast chicken.......:^)

I once brought home a baby skunk... -Found him sleeping in the middle of
the street one night. I thought he was road-kill, until I backed up again,
and found him. -This cute little guy, curled up in a ball and snoozing
away. I realized he was likely too small to make much of a stink, and
dropped a big, soft blanket over him...and took him home. He was naturally
tame (being so little), and for the next several days, my big german
shepperd, "Duke" followed him all over the house, just sniffing him.
You could hold him, and feed him--just like a baby kitten. -Very cute
fellow. Unfortunately, about a week into it, he began showing very small
signs that his "defense" glands were coming on board, and I had to put him
outside. It was cute, though, because for more than a week, he kept
returning to his cardboard box I had placed on the front porch to
leep. -I'd but on clothes I didn't care about (just in case he had an
accidental "outburst") and would go out and hold him/pet him. He was
perhaps the cutest, friendliest little animal I've ever held. Eventually,
he walked off and didn't come back. After that, when I'd smell that lovely
evidence that a skunk had just "let go"...I'd wonder if it was my "little
buddy"...taking care of some evil, dastardly dog, or some such villain.

I had a very similar experience with an abandoned Possom.
Several years later, I brought home an abandoned duckling...and carryed home
a sea-gull that was dazed adn confused after apparently being hit by a car
or something. He stood around my kitchen for three days...and when he
finally started trying to bite me, I decided to see if he could fly. -He
could, and he flew happily ever after into the San Diego sunset...

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark˛ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 15th 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Annika1980 wrote:

[...]

That's a great story Mark! You have a good heart!
Helen

Old January 15th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
TheDaveŠ

Mark2 wrote:
[...]

This is totally off-topic from photography, but several years ago I
watched a documentary on skunks, and they are really quite interesting
creatures. One thing I found most interesting was that when male
skunks fight each other, they will NOT spray each other. They'll spray
other animals, of course, but not other skunks.

I also came away with the feeling that they're quite nice animals,
except for the, ummm... you know. :-)

I do find it funny that when a dog comes across roadkill they're right
there sniffing and checking it out. Unless it's a skunk (if it's ripe,
that is). About 25 feet is as close as they'll get, and they're
curiosity is pretty much satisfied.
Old January 15th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
TheDaveŠ

wrote:
That's a great story Mark! You have a good heart!
Helen

I agree. Mark is one of the gentlemen of the board.
Old January 15th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark˛

TheDaveŠ wrote:
Mark2 wrote:
[...]

Ya, one of my all time favorite pets...a stray dog named "Roger" (named that
by the people who were feeding him for a while) was covered with skunk
smell. I brought him home anyway, and stayed up all night trying to get him
to be friendly with my other dog and my cat (he tried to eat both of them
and near broke the door trying to get them, but by morning, I had all three
of them eating out of bowls that were touching each other on the floor..

Anyway...

I'd heard that tomato juice was the key to cleaning skunk smell... -Didn't
have any, but I did have a 32 oz. can of V-8. So I gave him a V-8 juice
bath in the tub, and it fixed him right up. -Virtually no more skunk smell.
Roger literally worshipped me after that. Greatest dog in the world...

Old January 15th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Mark˛" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

I had a very similar experience with an abandoned Possom.
Several years later, I brought home an abandoned duckling...and carryed
home a sea-gull that was dazed adn confused after apparently being hit by
a car or something. He stood around my kitchen for three days...and when
he finally started trying to bite me, I decided to see if he could
ly. -He could, and he flew happily ever after into the San Diego
sunset...

Somebody, (a daughter in law, I think) told me the other day that possums
don't bite....They have long, vicious looking teeth, but all the do is bear
them and hiss at enemies, but never bite them......
We have a nice looking one that comes up on our back deck occasionally
and eats the dog kibbles we put out for the raccoons, but it is so shy that
if it even knows I am there, it runs away immediately, so there is no way I
can get close enough to it to find out......

Old January 15th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark˛

I had a very similar experience with an abandoned Possom.
Several years later, I brought home an abandoned duckling...and
carryed home a sea-gull that was dazed adn confused after apparently
being hit by a car or something. He stood around my kitchen for
three days...and when he finally started trying to bite me, I
decided to see if he could ly. -He could, and he flew happily ever after
into the San Diego
sunset...

Somebody, (a daughter in law, I think) told me the other day that
possums don't bite....They have long, vicious looking teeth, but all
the do is bear them and hiss at enemies, but never bite them......
We have a nice looking one that comes up on our back deck
occasionally and eats the dog kibbles we put out for the raccoons,
but it is so shy that if it even knows I am there, it runs away
immediately, so there is no way I can get close enough to it to find
out......

The one I had was a baby that fell off its spooked mother's back.
She left with four or fiver other little ones clinging to her, but this one
was left behind.

Old January 16th 07, 07:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Colin_D

[...]

Possums, the Australian/NZ variety at least, will bite, but mainly they
rake with their incredibly sharp claws. Can do a lot of damage to an
unsuspecting hero who tries to pick one up ...

Colin D.