20D GETS SOME TONGUE !

Old January 14th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default 20D GETS SOME TONGUE !

Old January 14th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Annika1980 wrote:

Holy Smokes!! Look at the detail! Absolutely superb!
Helen

Old January 14th 07, 07:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

Annika1980 wrote:

I like that one, Bret.
I always wondered how they keep from scratching up the roof of their mouths
with those barbs...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 14th 07, 08:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
TheDave©

I'll chime in, too. That's a fantastic picture... and I don't even
like cats.
Old January 14th 07, 09:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

MarkČ (lowest even number here) wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:

I like that one, Bret.
I always wondered how they keep from scratching up the roof of their mouths
with those barbs...

www.pbase.com/markuson

I've often wondered about that too. Their tongue has barbs on it so
they can catch loose hairs when they groom themselves. This is why
they get hairballs all the time. But my sister gave me some info on
how to cure this, you put a little bit of Vaseline on the tip of their
nose. (But don't clog up the nostrils). When they lick off the
Vaseline, it helps them to get rid of any hairballs.
BTW Mark: Thanks so much for your lovely comment. You are a very kind
man!
Helen

Old January 14th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
MarkČ

Annika1980 wrote:

I like that one, Bret.
I always wondered how they keep from scratching up the roof of their
mouths with those barbs...

www.pbase.com/markuson

I've often wondered about that too. Their tongue has barbs on it so
they can catch loose hairs when they groom themselves. This is why
they get hairballs all the time.

My understanding it that it's for more than grooming. It also helps them
"clean" meat off the bones of animals they've killed...a carry-over from
their BIG cousins, the lion and tiger, etc.

Old January 14th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Annika1980 wrote:

[...]

Yes, I agree. The barbs are used for more than grooming. Can you
imagine the barbs on the big cats? Lions, Tigers, etc! =:-0
Helen

Old January 14th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Annika1980 wrote:

I've often wondered about that too. Their tongue has barbs on it so
they can catch loose hairs when they groom themselves.

There's a stray cat that comes around and sleeps in a nook on the side
of my house. I sometimes leave out milk. Even if the milk freezes he
manages to scrape most of it up...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 15th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Annika1980 wrote:

I've often wondered about that too. Their tongue has barbs on it so
they can catch loose hairs when they groom themselves.

There's a stray cat that comes around and sleeps in a nook on the side
of my house. I sometimes leave out milk. Even if the milk freezes he
manages to scrape most of it up...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

You are very kind Alan.
Actually, my best friend is an expert on cats, and she told me that
milk is actually bad for cats. For dogs it's fine but not cats.
Believe it or not, cats require more meat than dogs do.
Helen

Old January 15th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .

Annika1980 wrote:

I've often wondered about that too. Their tongue has barbs on it so
they can catch loose hairs when they groom themselves.

There's a stray cat that comes around and sleeps in a nook on the side of
my house. I sometimes leave out milk. Even if the milk freezes he
manages to scrape most of it up...

That's how we got our feral cat....First the milk, then kibbles to go with
the milk, then a cardboard box to sleep in, then a waterproof heating pad
for the Winter months, then a cat door into the garage, then move the food
and box into the garage, then into the house.....Now, 5 years later, the cat
is sleeping on our bed and eats nothing but roast chicken.......:^)