RAW in progress

Old August 17th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Iceberg Concept, Inc.

Default RAW in progress

I am trying (fort the first time) to open a RAW file that I shot with my
D70. I'm using Photoshop7.

When I "Open as" I get a dialog box that shows the following:

Size: 5416900 bytes
Channels: Count 1
Depth: 8 Bits or 16 Bits
Header: Defaults to 0

When I click OK I get a gray image...no picture. I read the Adobe PS Help
file but did not have any success.

Can anyone help with what the settings should be to get an image?

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon

Old August 17th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

Iceberg Concept, Inc. wrote:
I am trying (fort the first time) to open a RAW file that I shot with my
D70. I'm using Photoshop7.

When I "Open as" I get a dialog box that shows the following:

Size: 5416900 bytes
Channels: Count 1
Depth: 8 Bits or 16 Bits
Header: Defaults to 0

When I click OK I get a gray image...no picture. I read the Adobe PS Help
file but did not have any success.

Can anyone help with what the settings should be to get an image?

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon

You need ACR, the Adobe Raw editor. Go to the Adobe ACR info page and
see which version work with PS 7. Unfortunately there may not be one, I
believe ACR was a stand alone program with PS7, it is now a plug in.
You can upgrade to PS CS2 for $160 and use the ACR that comes along
with the program. Raw Shooters Essentials is available for free and a
lot of folks use that program. Nikon has their Capture NX available too
($149).

Tom

Old August 18th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"tomm42" wrote in message
ps.com...

Iceberg Concept, Inc. wrote:
[...]

Don't forget you would get the Nikon Raw converter on one of the Cds which
came with the Camera.

It is very limited in the choices which it allows, but it is better than
nothing, if only just.

If you do upgrade to Ps CS and get the ACR download, you will need to remove
the Nikon Converter form your machine before doing so. It has a nasty habit
of interfering with or over-riding the Adobe Converter.

Roy G

Old August 18th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Hilton

Iceberg Concept, Inc. wrote:
I am trying (fort the first time) to open a RAW file that I shot with my
D70. I'm using Photoshop7.

When I "Open as" I get a dialog box that shows the following:
When I click OK I get a gray image...no picture. I read the Adobe PS Help
file but did not have any success.

The RAW converter version for Photoshop 7 doesn't support NEF files for
this model camera ... you can either upgrade to CS2 and use the
built-in converter or you can get the latest DNG converter from Adobe
and convert your RAW file to .dng format and then open the DNG with the
V7 converter or you can spend $99 on Capture One's RAW converter (which
I feel is better than the Adobe converter for Canon raw files) or you
can spend around $99 for the latest, greatest Nikon RAW converter
(which is supposed to be very good with NEF files).

There are other choices as well but one of these is probably your best
bet.

Bill

Old August 18th 06, 09:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Barry Pearson

Iceberg Concept, Inc. wrote:
I am trying (fort the first time) to open a RAW file that I shot with my
D70. I'm using Photoshop7.

[snip]

Bibble have a raw converter plugin to Photoshop 7. I'm confident it
would handle the D70.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

Old August 18th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
no_name

Barry Pearson wrote:

Iceberg Concept, Inc. wrote:

I am trying (fort the first time) to open a RAW file that I shot with my
D70. I'm using Photoshop7.

[snip]

Bibble have a raw converter plugin to Photoshop 7. I'm confident it
would handle the D70.

BTW, freeware Irfanview has raw converter plugins.