If the Canon 5D is real...

Old August 12th 05, 09:06 PM

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

Rox-off wrote:

As a Nikon shooter I would have to say it's definitely time to play "wait
and see" rather than going for the D2x (unless you are happy with the 1.5x
multiplier and DX lenses). Personally I would love to see a digital
full-frame version of the F100 offering the same spec. That's when I will
upgrade.

I don't get it. Look at the specs for that alleged 5D. It's *way* below
the D2x in every way except pixel count, and the fact that it's full-frame.
It's not a pro-level camera. It wouldn't have turned my head one little
bit when I was looking to buy a D2x.

I'll take the 5D's bigger pixels over the D2X: thermodynamics is on my
side.

http://news.techwhack.com/1878/canon...ally-unveiled/

The 5D is just a larger 1DMkII sensor (which was fairly clear from the
initial leak), and probably some bogus cripple-ware demanded by their
marketing departments.

On the other hand, I have no desire to go full-frame; I don't see the
attraction.

Buy a wide angle lens.

The minor benefits don't interest me compared with the
problems that will likely invalidate half of my lenses. I really hope
Nikon figures out how to stick with 1.5x for the long haul.

Canon is increasing the yields on FF sensors; I'm pretty sure Nikon
can do it too. Then all this childish talk of "well, _I_ don't need a
full frame sensor, no sir!" will evaporate faster than a puddle in the
desert. Why just last year or so we were all sternly told by the kooky
market prognosticators that dominate this newsgroup that EF-S wasn't a
dead end ... and now it seems likely it is. How many of these put
their money where their mouth was? HA HA HA.

Old August 12th 05, 09:08 PM

Rox-off wrote:

There are going to be a ****-load of unhappy 1DMkII owners!

You are ignorant.

Old August 12th 05, 09:10 PM

l e o wrote:

The 5D spec doesn't have these cruial words as in 20D/350D/Elan 7N:

built-in, retractable, pop-up

If you can afford $3500 for the camera, you can probably pony up a few
hundred for a flash that is actually worthwhile using.

Old August 12th 05, 10:35 PM
nick c

Bart van der Wolf wrote:

"Rox-off" wrote in message
news
There are going to be a ****-load of unhappy 1DMkII owners!

A bit unlikely, IMO.

Most 1DMkII users probably need the speed, and ruggedness (e.g. weather
proofing, more shutter actuations before it wears-out), and the
battery-life of that model. The slightly smaller than Full Frame images
also transmit faster and consume less storage space. It's intended for
an entirely different users group.

Bart

I agree.

I'm very happy with my 1DMKII. It has the features I sought when I
bought the camera. A full frame may later become available but when
considering I'm quite happy with what I have, coupled with the
associated lens arrangements that I have, I can't imagine myself
becoming unhappy just because there is a full frame 1DMKII that has
become available. The x1.3 lens factor has not as yet proven to be a
handy cap. My lens procurement paractices have taken in the x1.3 lens
factor so having appropriate lenses is no longer a concern.

Considering the enormous success of the 20D and Rebel series cameras,
both having x1.6 factors to consider, I'm wondering why there is so much
general concern about a full frame digital that would be mostly sought
by a digital niche market.

Old August 12th 05, 11:35 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Brian Baird wrote:

given the lack of any noise issue on the D2x.

What? Try shooting over ISO 400 on that camera and watch your detail
magically disappear due to the noise-cancelling algorithms.

I have, and it didn't.

--
Jeremy |
Old August 12th 05, 11:52 PM
Stacey

Steve Franklin wrote:

I agree about waiting.

Yea I was thinking about buying a pentium 100 win95 machine 10 years ago,
I'm so glad I waited till the P4 2.8's came out, what a waste buying that
P100 would have been!
--

Stacey
Old August 12th 05, 11:53 PM