Canon 20D review posted on dpreview

Old November 16th 04, 07:43 AM
EZD

Default Canon 20D review posted on dpreview

Douglas MacDonald wrote:

If you read my message properly you'd see I said 1.04 (corrected) and
higher. Have you got a testerone problem or something

Learn how to spell a word before you post it to a newsgroup. The
correct spelling of the word you were attempting to use is TESTOSTERONE.
Old November 16th 04, 05:36 PM
John Doe

I don't know what you mean. I don't have a web site and the only problem I
have with dpreview is that his reviews are not be honest about potential
problems one might have with the product. Reviews are supposed to help
people make an informed choice, they can't do that when possible
problems/bugs aren't even mentioned. He spent more time talking about the
memory card door than the did about the bugs one might experience with the
camera. Just because he had no problems and just because not everyone has
had problems is not the point. About 10% of people have had problems and are
still having problems. This should have been mentioned.

A little criticism for Canon putting out a firmware update that actually
killed some peoples cameras was also do.

John

Old November 16th 04, 05:38 PM
John Doe

That isn't true. The 20D didn't ship with a 1.0 firmware. Even the beta
units sent to reviewers had the 1.02. All of the current firmware have
people reporting lockups including the 1.04 and 1.05. The problems have yet
to be fixed.

John

"Douglas MacDonald" wrote in message
Ken Ellis wrote:
Great..cause i have one being shipped now. Do you know what ver. of
firmware is effected (eg. new cam may have newer firmware)

I am getting the kit with the 18-55 "s"lens. I'm seriously considering
gettin the 10-22 wide angle s lens. I'm really looking forward to
working with this cam. Any suggestions
on a moderately priced telephoto? I see many affordable tamron
70-300. In any event i appreciate your input

rgds

Ken

I have the same kit with a grip. Basically it's identical to the 10Ds 'pro
kit'. I have many lenses left over from the 10D and earlier EOS 35mm. The
firmware affected is 1.0 and some 1.02. The fix is 1.4 and higher.

My favourite zoom is a Sigma 100-300 f4 APO lens. It's resolving power is
at least equal to a 70~200 Canon f2.8 when used with a 1.4X extender. A
lot less money than a Canon lens too. I also use a 50mm 1.8 lens for
portraits. This lens is a little soft on my 20D but for portraits, it's
ideal.

You might find some focus problems with a new camera - any new camera in
that they do not always focus on the right place. Get yourself a back
focus chart and check it out once you get used to the camera. Canon will
fix it free and usually in a few days. Otherwise, the 20D is the one to
have.

Douglas

Old November 16th 04, 10:09 PM
Douglas MacDonald

EZD wrote:
Douglas MacDonald wrote:

If you read my message properly you'd see I said 1.04 (corrected) and
higher. Have you got a testerone problem or something

Learn how to spell a word before you post it to a newsgroup. The
correct spelling of the word you were attempting to use is TESTOSTERONE.

If your post came from a person instead of someone hiding behind some
alphabetical soup, I might take you seriously. As it is you are just a
troll.

Douglas
Old November 16th 04, 10:29 PM
Douglas MacDonald

John Doe wrote:
That isn't true. The 20D didn't ship with a 1.0 firmware. Even the beta
units sent to reviewers had the 1.02. All of the current firmware have
people reporting lockups including the 1.04 and 1.05. The problems have yet
to be fixed.

John

Dear John Doe
Is that your real name by any chance?
My Australian bought 20D, purchased from the first shipment to arrive at
Photo Continental in Brisbane, did indeed come with version 1.0.1
firmware. It did indeed lockup if I changed lenses while the camera was
in sleep mode (off) and then I switched it on. The problem did not
happen if I changed lenses with the camera left on. It is a trivial problem.

I used the 1.0.4 firmware upgrade from Canon Japan's web site which I
downloaded about 1 hour after it was posted. The problem is fixed. Some
people reported their camera wouldn't boot after replacing the firmware
and Canon pulled the update off their site, replacing it later with
version 1.0.5. It is the installer, not the firmware upgrade which gave
problems and Canon do indeed ship cameras with 1.0.4 firmware and these
do not lock up with lens changes.

I know several people who probably should never have electronic goods,
much less try to upgrade them, tried to flash the firmware with flat
batteries, tried to flash the firmware by just putting the update on
every flash card they had and yet again, others who seem to think
instructions are for dickheads. These people also had problems... More
than just the genetic ones they inherited.

Quite clearly you do not have a 20D or you would not be making such
outrageous statements. Anyone who does have the problem after flashing
the firmware (properly) can avail themselves of Canon's 14 day, no
questions asked (world wide -I believe)replacement policy. And don't
tell me someone can own one of these cameras for 14 days and never
change a lens either.

So John Doe... You are just a bloody troll with no knowledge of the
problem, how it occurs or how it's fixed, aren't you? Why don't you try
speaking directly to someone who actually has a clue instead of posting
bull**** you got from other people's posts? All you and the other
posters with no first hand experience are doing is fanning smoke in the
hope of starting a fire.

Douglas
Old November 16th 04, 10:31 PM
Douglas MacDonald

John Doe wrote:
I don't know what you mean. I don't have a web site and the only problem I
have with dpreview is that his reviews are not be honest about potential
problems one might have with the product. Reviews are supposed to help
people make an informed choice, they can't do that when possible
problems/bugs aren't even mentioned. He spent more time talking about the
memory card door than the did about the bugs one might experience with the
camera. Just because he had no problems and just because not everyone has
had problems is not the point. About 10% of people have had problems and are
still having problems. This should have been mentioned.

A little criticism for Canon putting out a firmware update that actually
killed some peoples cameras was also do.

John

Yeah... Wouldn't it be nice if you actually knew something about what
you post?

Douglas
Old November 17th 04, 02:45 PM
Wolfgang Weisselberg

John Doe wrote:
About 10% of people have had problems and are still having
problems.

You wouldn't mind telling us how you arrived at the 10% number,
would you?

-Wolfgang
Old November 18th 04, 09:12 PM
John Doe

Mr. MacDonald I suggest you pull you head from the ass and take a breath.
You may not be having problems but I am and others are. Your ignorance only
makes you more an ass.

Old November 18th 04, 09:13 PM
John Doe

Just read the posts on the the various forums.

John

Old November 18th 04, 10:32 PM
Douglas MacDonald

John Doe wrote:
Mr. MacDonald I suggest you pull you head from the ass and take a breath.
You may not be having problems but I am and others are. Your ignorance only
makes you more an ass.

John

If what you say is true "John Doe". Why have you not taken your camera
back and had it replaced under Canon's 14 day replacement policy? Maybe
if you let someone know exactly what your problem is(the camera one I
mean), you might get some advise.

Anyone who has a problem with a Canon DSLR can have it replaced, any
time up to 14 days after buying it. Provided of course the "problem" is
not caused by another manufacturer's lens or accessory and can be
reproduced on request.

I'll bet there are plenty of jokers out there trying to make old Tamron
and Sigma lenses which never entirely worked with EOS cameras anyway,
work on 20Ds and lock them up. No warranty there.

Douglas