OsX compared to Linux and BeOS

Old February 12th 05, 09:45 PM
Timberwoof

Default OsX compared to Linux and BeOS

In article . com,
"Tony Polson" wrote:

Hi. I'm getting away from the Windows thing and I would like to get a
new desktop...either a Mac running OsX, or a PC running Linux or BeOS.

Which one should I go with? I know that Mac would cost me the most
because of the proprietary hardware,

I'n not sure what you mean by "proprietary" hardware, or "cost me the most."
This newsgroup is filled with price comparisons of Macintosh and equivalent
offerings from Dell or HP.

but would the benefits outweigh
the extra cost if I bought the Mac?

We think so.

Is OsX as stable as Linux and
BeOS?

Your questions about BeOS are curious. There was a lot of development on BeOS in
the mid to late '90s. When Apple went shopping for a new OS for the Mac, they
made an offer for BeOS, but the counteroffer was four times as high. Apple
declined the asking price and offered that price to NeXT, whom they bought. The
result was Steve Jobs taking over at Apple and OS X taking over at Macintosh.

BeOS was later sold to Palm for a song. Unless you know something no one else
does, Be seems to be quite obsolete now.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Get the Mac. :-)

--
Timberwoof me at timberwoof dot com http://www.timberwoof.com