*ist DS announced

Old September 16th 04, 01:39 AM
Keith Whaley

Modify my last post.
I'll not be "switching" anything.
I already have two digi cameras. Three if you count the one I gave away to
relatives. This will be in addition to.

keith whaley

Bandicoot wrote:

"Brian C. Baird" wrote in message
.. .

In article ,
says...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...entaxistds.asp

Snazzy. 2" LCD is nice. How many of you Pentax users will actually
consider making the switch at $800-$900 instead of $1500?
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

[...]

Old September 16th 04, 01:43 AM
Keith Whaley

Mojtaba wrote:

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:19:47 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...entaxistds.asp

Fantastic. I can use my old screw mount lenses on it!

Yes. with a M- to K- adapter. With the same limitations you'd have on any
other k-mount camera body.
Still, you'll be able to use them!
I think that's great!

keith whaley

Mojtaba (Is not yet into digital)

Old September 16th 04, 11:19 AM
Sander Vesik

Brian C. Baird wrote:
In article ,
says...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...entaxistds.asp

Snazzy. 2" LCD is nice. How many of you Pentax users will actually
consider making the switch at $800-$900 instead of $1500?

Pentax seems tobe going the Nikon way with DSLR-s - APS sized sensor
and special DA (vs nikon dx) lens

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++

Old September 16th 04, 01:18 PM
Bandicoot

"Sander Vesik" wrote in message
Brian C. Baird wrote:
In article ,
says...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...entaxistds.asp

Snazzy. 2" LCD is nice. How many of you Pentax users will actually
consider making the switch at $800-$900 instead of $1500?

Pentax seems tobe going the Nikon way with DSLR-s - APS sized sensor
and special DA (vs nikon dx) lens

Seems, yes - but while they have a lot of compact digital experience, this
is only their second DSLR (though their third design, since they got part
way to market with an MZ-S D and then switched to the *ist chassis design.)
I'd expect anyone's first couple of DSLRs not to be full frame: whether a
full frame one ever follows will depend on market response to their two
current models, and on whether in the wider market the premium for a full
frame model, plus the 'kudos' of having one in the range, are sufficient to
make it cost effective to develop one.

The DA lens range makes sense for a maker with two APS sized DSLRs in their
range, shame it is aperture ring-less though. What is more interesting is
the new FA-D series of lenses: these have aperture rings, are computed with
digital in mind (ie. no shallow angles of incidence for rays at the sensor)
and... cover full frame. Either these are an expensive venture to appeal
to people who shoot both film and (APS sized) digital - or else Pentax is
expecting (not necessarily planning, but expecting) that a full sized sensor
is in their future.

Given Pentax's lenses, and their skills at making 'big' cameras small, I
think such a thing could be a real winner.

Peter

*ist DS announced Alan Browne Digital Photography 17 September 15th 04 08:05 AM
CANON dRebel2 / 300D2 Announced Arthur L. Rubin 35mm Photo Equipment 3 September 12th 04 05:54 AM
300D Mark II RTJ Digital Photography 69 August 27th 04 10:57 PM
FYI: Sanyo 2500mAh AA cells announced in Japan! David Chien Digital Photography 1 July 6th 04 11:19 PM