20D GETS STEWED !

Old July 12th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default 20D GETS STEWED !

On Jul 12, 2:27 am, "William Graham" wrote:

How?

There seems to be a lot of starving photographers out there.

Well, with your collection of marvelous wildlife photos, I'd consider
publishing a book.

One of the most surefire ways to lose a big chunk of money in a hurry
is to publish a photography book. They are expensive to make and
tough to sell.
I do plan on doing a book soon, however, but it will be a very limited
production run (less than 5) and a sure money-loser.

Old July 12th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

William Graham wrote:

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 11, 6:59 pm, "William Graham" wrote:

It's my little slice of Heaven during the day before I have to go back
to Hell.

It's too bad you can't do it full time for a living, Bret. Nothing is
worse
than working at a job you can't stand. And you are good enough at
photography to make a good living at it.

How?

There seems to be a lot of starving photographers out there.

Well, with your collection of marvelous wildlife photos, I'd consider
publishing a book. Call it, "Wildlife Photography" And subtitle it, Methods
and equipment for wildlife capture, or something like that.....Anything to
get your name out there.....I think making a living in the arts involves
good selling techniques....Especially your ability to sell yourself.

Bill,

I think you identified the problem In order to have fun taking
photographs Bret needs to become a sales man to sell photos
he doesn't want to take that will sell.

I think I got this right. If he finds someone to do the selling and
production and bankrolling the next problem is book signings. His
publisher will insist that he must be at the Itibity Bookstore in Podunk
USA on one of the three perfect days in the fall to photograph
migrating birds..

Four days later production will call looking for documentation
to hold off Multiple Alias Doug's request for honourable mention
in the forward because it thought nature books were a good idea.

At some point you are either draining the swamp or adding to
the images of swamp critters with the mighty 20D.

Coffee table books are tough and very expensive to produce.
They don't sell very well.

I like Bert's pictures and glad he posts them for all to see. Bret
shares a lot what he has learned.

w..

Old July 12th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 12, 2:27 am, "William Graham" wrote:

How?

There seems to be a lot of starving photographers out there.

Well, with your collection of marvelous wildlife photos, I'd consider
publishing a book.

One of the most surefire ways to lose a big chunk of money in a hurry
is to publish a photography book. They are expensive to make and
tough to sell.
I do plan on doing a book soon, however, but it will be a very limited
production run (less than 5) and a sure money-loser.

Yes, you are right....It will probably lose money...but it's purpose is to
get your name out there, and to add to your resume. Also, consider getting
an agent. These people (if they are good) have connections, and they can get
you in places that would be hard for you to do yourself.

Old July 12th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Walter Banks" wrote in message

William Graham wrote:

[...]

With any art, selling yourself takes as much time and energy as producing
the art does, and it's seldom as much fun.....I like to say that there is a
housewife in every town in the USA who could be a concert pianist, because
he/she is good enough to be one, but they aren't because they have never
bothered to sell themselves to the public. - They "choose" to be housewives,
and maybe give music lessons to children to pick up some extra cash. And
then there are people like Walter Keane, who made a fortune selling his
wife's paintings as if they were his own! The reason many artists don't
become well known until years after they die, is because they were poor
salesmen. So, I think I would hire a good salesman to work for me.........

Old July 12th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Jul 12, 4:27 pm, "William Graham" wrote:

Also, consider getting an agent.

You mean besides Helen?

Old July 12th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 12, 4:27 pm, "William Graham" wrote:

Also, consider getting an agent.

You mean besides Helen?

Well, Helen is good, but you someone who can show you the "green"......

Old July 12th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

William Graham wrote:

"Annika1980" wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

Sounds good, where do I find one? Refferal from other artists I guess.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1