(SI) Motion appears to be up...

Old June 1st 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Default (SI) Motion appears to be up...

Wilba wrote:
Pudentame wrote:
Wilba wrote:
Helen wrote:
I thought all the submissions in this Mandate were great! One can
really feel the movement in each pic. I can almost feel the water
splashing my face looking at Jim's dog pic. Great shot Jim. Wilba's
feet moving is a great idea! One can really feel the feet pounding
that pavement. Wonderful Wilba!
Thanks very much. I'm very happy with my work on this one. This challenge
was a good oportunity for me to experience the principle of, "the harder
I work, the luckier I get."

BTW: nice shoes. What make are they?
Converse All-Stars. I like blue suede shoes. :-) Same shoe in Multiple
Exposures - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/78049977.

Damn hard to find nowadays. Used to be able to get blue suede hushpuppies,
but it don't look like they make 'em anymore.

I guess mine are about three years old, which makes them ancient in the
fashion world. :-)

Had a pair since I was 16, replaced every few years as they wear out.
Old June 2nd 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 10:00:55 +0800, "Wilba"
wrote:

Mike Benveniste - http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79672288

At first I thought, "what's in motion?", but then I clued into the
interpretation of someone dealing with the relative motion of the boat and
dock. Strong diagonal axis of the boat, and a nice tight crop.

Thank you for your comment. The "dock" was a 90,000 ton cruise ship
moving at a few knots of speed. The man on the ladder is
transferring between the ship and the pilot boat.

Of course, this is far from obvious from the shot. I had hoped the wake
from the boat would indicate this, but I guess there was enough chop in
the water to mask it.

Photography is knowing where to stand, and I guess to get this shot I
needed to be standing in a low-flying airplane.

--
Michael Benveniste --
Old June 2nd 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Wilba wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

Wilba wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

No official announcement but I noticed 'Motion' is posted:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/motion2

An image has been added since I looked last night, so I guess Jim
is still putting it together.

This was my second choice (not submitted) which probably would
have been better as an odditorium submission:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/South-Bay/2007-05-26-casa-dos-rios&PG=9&PIC=49
-butterfly taking flight

Cool. :-) Not too late to post a second submission?

Well, the butterfly-leaving was just an unexpected goof :-)

Some of my favourite images are unexpected goofs. :-)

Did you zoom-while-snapping on the first submission?
I like that one.
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617206

Thanks. No zoom. This was a fluke (almost a goof). I shot hundreds of
exposures trying to get something that worked, and this was the only one
that came out with the funnel effect. My guess is that there was some motion
of the camera at right angles to the panning. My guess is that I could try
for years and never reproduce the effect. :-)

Well at least you were intentionally trying for weird effects :-)

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old June 3rd 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Pudentame wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

No official announcement but I noticed 'Motion' is posted:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/motion2

This was my second choice (not submitted) which probably would have
been better as an odditorium submission:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/South-Bay/2007-05-26-casa-dos-rios&PG=9&PIC=49

-butterfly taking flight

I think it would have made a better first choice.

OK, thanks for your observation. It gets hard to sort out a random lucky
quirk from a competent, extremely challenging mediocre shot sometimes...
so much culling... I wonder sometimes if I'm a 'photographer' or more an
editor.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old June 3rd 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Nadvornick

"Walter Banks" wrote:

All of the images meet the mandate. My favourites for
completely different reasons are Ken Nadvornick's train
on the crossing and Jim Kramer's dog running in the shallows.

Ken demonstrates the power of a well planned photo shoot
that results in an image that anyone should be proud of.
Jim's image has more human emotion of a frozen moment in
time capturing the sheer joy of a dog in motion. Both images
pass my criterion if hung on a wall will I still enjoy them a
month or a year from now. Both tell a story, the starting
line for the imagination.

Ken Nadvornick http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/79617305

Ansel Adams was right. Master black and white first. There
is a story in this image. There is also an interesting story of
planning in the details provided. It is the kind of image that
tells you that good photography doesn't just happen. Ken, you
know its technically well done and I am not skilled enough
to judge. Very well done.

Walter,

Many thanks. That may be the first time I've ever had AA mentioned in any
proximity to my name. Not sure the submission is *that* good, but you are
quite correct regarding the planning in advance that went into it.

I had previously constructed a viewer using an ABS sewer pipe fitting and a
Zone VI previewing filter. When this carefully calibrated contraption is
held to my eye it duplicates *exactly* the field of view my 210mm lens
projects onto the 4x5 sheet of film. And the filter itself -- a Kodak
Wratten #90 -- gives a usable approximation of the scene as rendered in b&w
tones. This allows me to "test" 4x5 compositions as easily as holding a
35mm camera to my eye. Very useful.

My original idea was to have a solid tonal "smear" across the frame such
that the subject would be indistinguishable save indirectly by the presence
of the railroad crossing gate and sign. I had previously scouted the site a
week earlier and marked three possible composition points by placing rocks
at each location.

I had also shadowed a train along this stretch of track using my car, so I
knew the speed they would be traveling. Having paced off the length of a
locomotive, I had enough info to determine I needed a shutter speed of about
1/2 second from my composition point to allow the maximum smearing to occur
across a full (horizontal) sheet of film by a single locomotive. This would
prevent any ghosting from the opposite side.

By using Ilford FP4+ film at my calibrated rating of 160, and stopping the
lens down to f/40, and using that 2-stop ND filter you noticed in the SI
details (the only one I own), I also knew that I needed a cloudy day that
was 2 additional stops below Sunny-16.

Alas, Nature said, "No way!" The best I could get was a cloudy-bright day
one stop below S-16. That meant 1/4 second shutter which, in turn, meant a
shorter smear, which then explains the presence of that ghostly pole on the
right edge of the frame. It also explains the faintest hint of the
locomotive's curved front cowling visible in the upper left of the smear.
The central part is solid smear, but not the edges.

Then to heap insult upon injury, you may have also noticed the additional
clue in the published details. A properly created negative does not
normally require a #5 contrast grade of paper. But if the photographer
inadvertently uses eight-month-old partially-exhausted developer from a
half-empty bottle he's going to get an underdeveloped (read: lower contrast)
negative. One advantage of using a calibrated process is that mistakes like
this jump right out at you. This one I noticed the instant I pulled the
first sheet from the washer. What a maroon I am...

Ken