20D GETS EXTREME !!!

Old July 23rd 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default 20D GETS EXTREME !!!

Some folks have called me "Mr. Extreme" and I can't confirm or deny
that scandalous allegation. So here's a quickie I took today as I
welcomed the hummingbirds back for the Summer.

http://www.pbase.com/image/63933343

Note the extreme ISO and shutter speed used in an attempt to freeze the
bird's wings.

Old July 23rd 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Annika1980 wrote:
Some folks have called me "Mr. Extreme" and I can't confirm or deny
that scandalous allegation. So here's a quickie I took today as I
welcomed the hummingbirds back for the Summer.

http://www.pbase.com/image/63933343

Note the extreme ISO and shutter speed used in an attempt to freeze the
bird's wings.

I love how you caught the detail on the bird's wing with it's tiny eye
watching. These birds move extremely fast, so I know how hard it is to
capture them. Great job.
Like film, the higher the ISO the more grain------something you had to
risk but all in all you captured it very well.
(**these birds love the color red. also, put sugar in the water because
it gives them energy and helps produce firm and healthy eggs)
Thanks Bret!
Helen

Old July 23rd 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Some folks have called me "Mr. Extreme" and I can't confirm or deny
that scandalous allegation. So here's a quickie I took today as I
welcomed the hummingbirds back for the Summer.

http://www.pbase.com/image/63933343

Note the extreme ISO and shutter speed used in an attempt to freeze the
bird's wings.

I love how you caught the detail on the bird's wing with it's tiny eye
watching. These birds move extremely fast, so I know how hard it is to
capture them. Great job.
Like film, the higher the ISO the more grain------something you had to
risk but all in all you captured it very well.
(**these birds love the color red. also, put sugar in the water because
it gives them energy and helps produce firm and healthy eggs)
Thanks Bret!
Helen

Yeah, I'm with you, Helen! Bret's the best photographer ever (sigh).
I think I'll go masturbate to his pbase collection right now!

Old July 23rd 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Annika1980 wrote:
[...]

Whatever blows your skirt up!

I come here for photography tips and to give accolades to those whose
work deserve it.

Old July 23rd 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark

Annika1980 wrote:

Note the extreme ISO and shutter speed used in an attempt to freeze the
bird's wings.

That's a very nice shot, but if you were using flash, why did you have
to use such a high shutter speed and ISO? Couldn't a flash have
allowed a lower ISO?

Also, while I'm asking questions, can you explain how the camera can
synch at such high speed? That's something I've never understood.
Does the flash last 1/250 sec, so that the whole sensor is exposed?
Sorry if these questions sound dumb.

Mark

Old July 23rd 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Mark wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:

Note the extreme ISO and shutter speed used in an attempt to freeze the
bird's wings.

That's a very nice shot, but if you were using flash, why did you have
to use such a high shutter speed and ISO? Couldn't a flash have
allowed a lower ISO?

Also, while I'm asking questions, can you explain how the camera can
synch at such high speed? That's something I've never understood.
Does the flash last 1/250 sec, so that the whole sensor is exposed?
Sorry if these questions sound dumb.

Most cameras can't sync at speeds higher than 1/250 sec.
Canon gear, on the other hand, has a "high-speed sync" mode which will
sync the flash at any shutter speed up to the 20D's max (1/8000),
albeit at a lower power.
So the flash is very quick, but not very bright (kinda like a
hummingbird in that respect).
That's why you need the high ISO setting. Otherwise, the flash output
isn't enough to illuminate the scene. The drawback of using high
shutter speeds like 1/8000 with a flash is that the pic will look like
it was shot at night. It's not a natural look, but it's fun to play
around with.

Old July 24th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

Annika1980 wrote:
[...]

I'm with you Ms Helen. Being nice works more
than being a butt-hole about someones elses
work and vision.

Wonderful work Brett. Keep at it. It'll
keep you off the golf courses and allow
us poorer hackers a chance.;-)hehe