RAW convertors

Old December 19th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tully

Default RAW convertors

I'm cheap. there, that's out of the way.

I resisted shooting RAW at all, because I'm too cheap to upgrade from
Photoshop Cs to CS2 or 3. Once I found out I could use Nikon's VuewNX, I
started shooting RAW files, and it opened up lots of new options for me.

With my older Mac, I often crash ViewNX when I try to convert another
version of a RAW file which has had any corrections applied to any files
in that downloaded group.

This is an inconvenience to say the least, since I really like to have
multiple versions which have had tone curves or exposure cx done in the
conversion process. I should add that this is one of only two programs
that are at all unstable on my computer (the other is iView). I can't
remember the last time any other software went into an endless loop or
quit unexpectedly.

I would look into UFRaw if I could figure out hoe to download & install
it, but I am unfamiliar with the entire Gimp thing, and when it comes to
any sort of command line code, I'm lost.

Anyone know of a Raw convertor program that comes in simple to install
..pkg or .app files for the Mac?

I'm running OSX (10.4.11, as I'm also too cheap to buy 10.5 just yet).
--
"It is the individual alone who is timeless. The individual's
hungers, anxieties, dreams, and preoccupations have remained
Old December 19th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Tully wrote:

I would look into UFRaw if I could figure out hoe to download & install
it, but I am unfamiliar with the entire Gimp thing, and when it comes to
any sort of command line code, I'm lost.

Well I'm on a PC but as I recall, I simply installed Gimp in order to
get UFRaw, which may not be obvious so I thought I'd mention that. They
talk about jumping through command line hoops to install *only* UFRaw
but it is not necessary. And Gimp isn't so bad either.
Old December 19th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
,
Tully wrote:

This is an inconvenience to say the least, since I really like to have
multiple versions which have had tone curves or exposure cx done in the
conversion process. I should add that this is one of only two programs
that are at all unstable on my computer (the other is iView). I can't
remember the last time any other software went into an endless loop or
quit unexpectedly.

odd, i used to use iview a lot and rarely had a problem with it. which
version do you have?

I would look into UFRaw if I could figure out hoe to download & install
it, but I am unfamiliar with the entire Gimp thing, and when it comes to
any sort of command line code, I'm lost.

not worth the trouble.

Anyone know of a Raw convertor program that comes in simple to install
.pkg or .app files for the Mac?

raw therapee is free, but i have no idea if it's any good.

http://www.rawtherapee.com/?page=features

also, iphoto can read the raw files but it doesn't really offer the
full potential of editing raw.
Old December 19th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tully

In article ,
Paul Furman wrote:

Tully wrote:

I would look into UFRaw if I could figure out hoe to download & install
it, but I am unfamiliar with the entire Gimp thing, and when it comes to
any sort of command line code, I'm lost.

Well I'm on a PC but as I recall, I simply installed Gimp in order to
get UFRaw, which may not be obvious so I thought I'd mention that. They
talk about jumping through command line hoops to install *only* UFRaw
but it is not necessary. And Gimp isn't so bad either.

I don't even know what Gimp is. I guess I always thought it was
something people used instead of Photoshop. More research is in the
future for me, I guess
Old December 19th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

On Dec 19, 10:31 pm, nospam wrote:
In article
,

Tully wrote:
[...]

It's great. At the worst, not worse than ACR in terms of quality (I
find it better). He offers a compiled binary for linux, but I don't
know if it runs on OSX (frankly, I know nothing about OSX). Source is
not available so it can't be recompiled.
Old December 19th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tully

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article
,
Tully wrote:

This is an inconvenience to say the least, since I really like to have
multiple versions which have had tone curves or exposure cx done in the
conversion process. I should add that this is one of only two programs
that are at all unstable on my computer (the other is iView). I can't
remember the last time any other software went into an endless loop or
quit unexpectedly.

odd, i used to use iview a lot and rarely had a problem with it. which
version do you have?

iVew MediaPro v1.4
Some would not complain about the rare problems I've had with it. It
will crash when a corrupted JPEG is in the folder being cataloged, and I
have had it refuse to quit several times (Quit command grayed out in
menu when this happens).

I would look into UFRaw if I could figure out hoe to download & install
it, but I am unfamiliar with the entire Gimp thing, and when it comes to
any sort of command line code, I'm lost.

not worth the trouble.

The code thing, or the app?

Anyone know of a Raw convertor program that comes in simple to install
.pkg or .app files for the Mac?

raw therapee is free, but i have no idea if it's any good.

http://www.rawtherapee.com/?page=features

no Mac version...there's Linux, but I'm just an operator, not a
knowledgeable (geek) type...think of a good driver who is a lousy
mechanic, and you have me pegged

also, iphoto can read the raw files but it doesn't really offer the
full potential of editing raw.

I can do an unaltered conversion (camera values unchanged) just fine
with ViewNX. It's when I want a 48-bit TFF with tweaks similar to
D-lighting that I run into trouble. It could be my underpowered computer
that's the problem. G4 with dual 1 Gb processors, 1.75 gb RAM
Old December 19th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Tully wrote:
In article ,
Paul Furman wrote:

Tully wrote:

I would look into UFRaw if I could figure out hoe to download & install
it, but I am unfamiliar with the entire Gimp thing, and when it comes to
any sort of command line code, I'm lost.

Well I'm on a PC but as I recall, I simply installed Gimp in order to
get UFRaw, which may not be obvious so I thought I'd mention that. They
talk about jumping through command line hoops to install *only* UFRaw
but it is not necessary. And Gimp isn't so bad either.

I don't even know what Gimp is. I guess I always thought it was
something people used instead of Photoshop. More research is in the
future for me, I guess

Yes it's like Photoshop and comes with UFRaw. You don't have to run Gimp
to run UFRaw. UFRaw has some interesting and advanced options but some
problems like no 100% zoom (50%?) & not exactly instant visualization
with adjusting sliders but it would probably be good for the sort of
tinkering you are talking about as a second alternative.
Old December 19th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
,
Tully wrote:

odd, i used to use iview a lot and rarely had a problem with it. which
version do you have?

iVew MediaPro v1.4

1.4??? that's ancient. 3.0 came out two years ago and i don't
remember when 2.x came out. it's up to 3.1.something now, but
(unfortunately), it was recently purchased by microsoft, and now called
expression media.

I would look into UFRaw if I could figure out hoe to download & install
it, but I am unfamiliar with the entire Gimp thing, and when it comes to
any sort of command line code, I'm lost.

not worth the trouble.

The code thing, or the app?

all of it. gimp is more trouble than it's worth (and i'm sure i'll get
flamed for saying that). you said you had photoshop cs which is
lightyears beyond what gimp can even dream to do. all you need is the
raw conversion step.

which camera do you have?

and i just thought of another option -- you can download adobe camera
raw and use it to convert your images to dng, without photoshop, and
then once it is in dng format, you can then use your version of
photoshop to process them further.

http://www.rawtherapee.com/?page=features

no Mac version...there's Linux, but I'm just an operator, not a
knowledgeable (geek) type...think of a good driver who is a lousy
mechanic, and you have me pegged

so much for that idea. i had it confused with raw developer which is
mac only, but unfortunately, not free:

http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper.html
Old December 19th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tully

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article
,
Tully wrote:

odd, i used to use iview a lot and rarely had a problem with it. which
version do you have?

iVew MediaPro v1.4

1.4??? that's ancient. 3.0 came out two years ago and i don't
remember when 2.x came out. it's up to 3.1.something now, but
(unfortunately), it was recently purchased by microsoft, and now called
expression media.

"cutting edge" and "cheap" rarely live in the same house

I would look into UFRaw if I could figure out hoe to download & install
it, but I am unfamiliar with the entire Gimp thing, and when it comes
any sort of command line code, I'm lost.

not worth the trouble.

The code thing, or the app?

all of it. gimp is more trouble than it's worth (and i'm sure i'll get
flamed for saying that).

what--here?
I'm shocked!

you said you had photoshop cs which is
lightyears beyond what gimp can even dream to do. all you need is the
raw conversion step.

which camera do you have?

D80

and i just thought of another option -- you can download adobe camera
raw and use it to convert your images to dng, without photoshop, and
then once it is in dng format, you can then use your version of
photoshop to process them further.

is this right?

Old December 19th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
default

"Tully" wrote in message
I'm cheap. there, that's out of the way.

I resisted shooting RAW at all, because I'm too cheap to upgrade from
Photoshop Cs to CS2 or 3. Once I found out I could use Nikon's VuewNX, I
started shooting RAW files, and it opened up lots of new options for me.

You can load Adobe Camera RAW 2.4 into Photoshop CS.
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/photoshop/cameraraw/mac/
the file you want is Camera_Raw_2_4.dmg

Then if your camera isn't supported in ACR 2.4 then download the latest DNG
convertor from:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/photos...raraw/mac/4.x/
the file you want is DNG_Camera_Raw_4_3_1.dmg

Use the DNG convertor to convert your raw files to DNG. This is lossless.
Now use Adobe Camera RAW 2.4 in your Photoshop CS to open your DNG files and
do your RAW editing before transferring to Photoshop for finishing.

All of this is completely free, so you're not out a cent and you have a
permanent, reliable solution with a good RAW converter.

Good luck