Good sites near Jacksonville, Florida, in January?

Old December 15th 03, 02:38 PM
Cate

Default Good sites near Jacksonville, Florida, in January?

It's not in Jacksonville but close by -- the St. Augustine Alligator Farm.
Great for birds and gators.

Gee, I'll be in gloomy Europe in January but only a short stopover on my way
to northern India.

Cate
The Nest Box
http://nestbox.com

Richard wrote in message
Will be spending a week birding and photographing around Jacksonville
next January.

Any recommendations for good sites for birds and wildlife?

TIA,

Richard

(Escaping from a gloomy Europe)

Old December 15th 03, 03:07 PM
PWW

Richard,
First, I must state yet again; winter in Florida pushes most birds to the
southern parts of Florida, like the Everglades, Wachodahatchee, Ding,
Corkscrew.... Even the St. Augustine Alligator Farm which is one of my
favorite rookery sites will likely be DEAD during January. April is good for
the Gator Farm. A couple of months DOES make all the difference.

With that being said, here is a good link for Bird Spots around
Jacksonville:

http://members.aol.com/sjaudubon/hotspots.html

Yes I know birders use a different set of values to make hotspots (just
identifying a warbler is good enough for them) but usually a photographer
can make good use of the same places.

Hope that helps.
--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,

Old December 16th 03, 09:38 PM
Cate

Yes, good advice from PWW -- I forgot that my visit to Jacksonville was in
April. We usually go to FL in winter but this was the one exception.

Cate

Old December 17th 03, 11:29 PM

About 130 miles south Jacksonville down I-95 is the Merritt Island
National Preserve. I was out there a week ago saw plenty of Ducks,
Egrets, Herons, Ibis, Spoonbills, Ospreys and gators on Wildlife Drive
and Biolab Road. Many other birds too. Also saw a Bald Eagle on
Biolab Road. Also butterflies as thick as mosquitos.

Old December 27th 03, 01:29 PM
Frank Miles

I just noticed this thread. My apologies if this has already been suggested.

North of Jacksonville, along the coast road is a privately run bird
sanctuary called Beaks. (If you make it to Amelia Island you have gone a bit
too far.) They have injured birds on the mend, imprinted birds, and a lot of
other birds just seem to pop by.

We often visit when we are in the area. One time, they had just received an
ostrich. Seems it was being transported in the back of a truck and was
tossed out / jumped out on the big Jacksonville bridge. The police took the
ostrich to Beaks, where they treated it for some pretty decent road rash. I
don't think anyone came forward to claim it.

The place is worth a visit.

Frank

Richard wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestions.

Can't wait to get there, birds or no birds :-)

Richard.