Mamiya 7 film loading question

Old January 31st 05, 08:28 PM
Chris Brown

Default Mamiya 7 film loading question

I recently got a roll of Provia 100F back from the lab, with the 10th frame
cut in half by the end of the film. Irritatingly, it looked like it would
have come out really well as well. :-(

I loaded the film in accordance with the instructions, lining up the START
arrow with the pointer in the camera, closing the back, and advancing to
frame 1, so it should have fitted. However, the start of the film has a huge
gap, and my last frame is ruined.

Has anyone else noticed this with their 7? I can compensate for it, but it's
a bit irritating.
Old January 31st 05, 09:20 PM
jjs

"Chris Brown" wrote in message

I loaded the film in accordance with the instructions, lining up the START
arrow with the pointer in the camera, closing the back, and advancing to
frame 1, so it should have fitted. However, the start of the film has a
huge
gap, and my last frame is ruined.

Has anyone else noticed this with their 7?

It's a natural consequence of the internally timed built-in obsolescence.
See, you have a model 6 which gets only 11 frames per roll. It gets worse.

Old January 31st 05, 09:47 PM
Paul Friday

In message , jjs
writes
It's a natural consequence of the internally timed built-in obsolescence.
See, you have a model 6 which gets only 11 frames per roll. It gets worse.

See, what you really need is a Kiev 60. Mine gets 13 frames on a roll.

But seriously - are you sure you are lining-up the start mark with the
right pointer? Camera set for 220?
--
----------------------------
Paul Friday
Old January 31st 05, 11:43 PM
TAFKAB

Can't say I've ever seen this in mine over the last few years...

Sounds like a transport issue, and may need a trip to the shop.

Old February 1st 05, 09:04 AM
Martin Jangowski

Chris Brown wrote:
I recently got a roll of Provia 100F back from the lab, with the 10th frame
cut in half by the end of the film. Irritatingly, it looked like it would
have come out really well as well. :-(

I loaded the film in accordance with the instructions, lining up the START
arrow with the pointer in the camera, closing the back, and advancing to
frame 1, so it should have fitted. However, the start of the film has a huge
gap, and my last frame is ruined.

Has anyone else noticed this with their 7? I can compensate for it, but it's
a bit irritating.

Do you have any problems with loose film threads on the takeup-spool
(slightly too large etc.)? I had this with one of my Mamiya 7 bodies and
had problems with frame spacing, too. The culprits were the two flat
springs in the left and right spool chamber. Both were twisted and
didn't make good contact with the backing paper, so the film didn't
spool correctly. I usual retard the left spool a little when advancing
the first frames to the start arrow to give a tight right takeup spool.

Martin
Old February 1st 05, 10:21 AM
Chris Brown

Martin Jangowski wrote:
Chris Brown wrote:
I recently got a roll of Provia 100F back from the lab, with the 10th frame
cut in half by the end of the film. Irritatingly, it looked like it would
have come out really well as well. :-(

I loaded the film in accordance with the instructions, lining up the START
arrow with the pointer in the camera, closing the back, and advancing to
frame 1, so it should have fitted. However, the start of the film has a huge
gap, and my last frame is ruined.

Has anyone else noticed this with their 7? I can compensate for it, but it's
a bit irritating.

Do you have any problems with loose film threads on the takeup-spool
(slightly too large etc.)? I had this with one of my Mamiya 7 bodies and
had problems with frame spacing, too. The culprits were the two flat
springs in the left and right spool chamber.

I think they're OK, and the roll in question has consistent and good spacing
- the whole set of 10 (well, 9 and a half) frames has just been shifted
along the film strip.

Is it possible that the film itself had the backing paper and emulsion
poorly aligned?

Both were twisted and didn't make good contact with the backing paper,

It sounds like it's worth a look, thanks.

so the film didn't
spool correctly. I usual retard the left spool a little when advancing
the first frames to the start arrow to give a tight right takeup spool.

I'll try that in future as well. I'd been assuming that the wind-on action,
once the door was closed, would take care of that for me.
Old February 2nd 05, 02:56 PM
Ken Hart

"jjs" john@xstafford.net wrote in message
"Chris Brown" wrote in message

I loaded the film in accordance with the instructions, lining up the

START
arrow with the pointer in the camera, closing the back, and advancing to
frame 1, so it should have fitted. However, the start of the film has a
huge
gap, and my last frame is ruined.

Has anyone else noticed this with their 7?

It's a natural consequence of the internally timed built-in obsolescence.
See, you have a model 6 which gets only 11 frames per roll. It gets worse.

How is the spacing between frames? Does it vary? It may be that the gearing
mechanism has a problem, putting too much space between each frame. As the
film is wound onto the takeup, the takeup spool essentially gets bigger, so
each frame requires fewer revolutions of the takeup for proper advance.

Ken Hart

Old February 3rd 05, 10:31 AM
Chris Brown

Ken Hart wrote:

How is the spacing between frames? Does it vary?

The spacing seems to be sensible, and does not vary.

It may be that the gearing mechanism has a problem,

It seems that it's not guilty in this case - the spacing is good and
consistent, it just started the pictures far too late into the film.