How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Old November 2nd 12, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

Default How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

PeterN wrote in news:5092ede9$0$15615
:

On 10/30/2012 12:07 AM, Savageduck wrote:

Eric Stevens

Ask Siri. HAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!

Idiot!

that's stating the obvious.

Applesheep.
Old November 2nd 12, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 14:44:44 -0700, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

The iPad does not have a file manager. It has a basic photo manager.
Not file manager.

I stand corrected. I don't experience with iPads
myself, but I did recently have to help my elderly father
set up his Android tablet. It's half the price and includes
a full-scale file manager, so I assumed the iPad had
*at least* that much functionality.

No, the philosophy with many application approaches today is to
obscure the file system. You do it in LIghtroom as well. Lightroom is
a way for you to forget about the actual files and instead manage the
*photos*. The files are just the container.

that's what a lot of people don't understand. things are changing.
they're stuck in their old ways of how it used to be done and *very*
resistant to change.

file system access is eventually going away for almost all use
scenarios. dedicated apps do a much better job.

users don't want to deal with individual files, they want to deal with
photos, songs, movies, contacts, etc. it doesn't matter where the
actual data is. it could be on the device or it could be in the cloud.

I don't particularly want to deal with individual files. But I do want
to deal with individual images and images in bulk.

and that's where the apps come in.

lightroom, for instance, lets you concentrate on the images, not the
file structure. it's an app designed *for* photo management.

I don't want to have to buy Lightroom just to enable me to do a
block-delete of (unsynchronised) images in an iPhone. Adobe must have
built something Apple-centric into Lightroom.

Paintshop Pro, Nikon ViewNX and Capture NX2 are all designed only for
windows and none of them can find the DCIM directory in the iPad.
Windows Explorer (7) can look into the DCIM directory but the images
it finds are in peculiarly named subdirectories and are presented in a
fuzzy caricature of what might really be there. I was able to find a
plugin for Windows Explorer 7 to enable it to properly open Nikon NEF
files but so far I haven't been able to find one that does the same
thing for iPad JPGs.

At the moment I'm still stuck with wanting to do it in the iPad.

Eric Stevens
Old November 2nd 12, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael[_6_]

On 2012-11-01 07:08:34 +0000, Sandman said:

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

And the "limit" here seems to be that Apple did not facilitate
deleting thousands of photos easily enough. Seeing that this doesn't
logically fall under the intended use of the iPad, I fail to see how
this is an actual limit. Or rather, if that's a limit, Apple also
"Limits" you in that you can't monitor NASA spacecraft launches on
your iPad homescreen.

I'm exaggerating, of course, and a "select all" function wouldn't
really be a bad idea, but I think it falls squarely outside the scope
of normal usage of an iPad.

Are you saying you believe the iPad is intended to be filled but not
emptied?

Pretty much. I am saying that the iPad can be filled via three ways.
The first is by taking pictures with it, the second is by importing
photos from a camera and the third is to sync photos from your
computer.

There is, on the flip side, only one way to get photos OFF the iPad,
and that's by selecting them one by one with your finger and hitting
delete.

That quite clearly says to me that focus has been on getting content
ON to the iPad rather than off it. At least when using iPad-only
methods. When connecting the iPad to a computer, especially a Mac,
deleting all photos is the easiest thing.

I think a better explanation is that everything it does is intended to
pass through iTunes, with all the ramifications that that implies.

As far as I'm aware, you can't delete photos from the iPad using
iTunes, though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You CAN delete en masse, but ONLY the albums you synced from your
computer to the iPad via iTunes in the first place. When the iPad first
came out (it had no camera and no other means to connect besides WfFi
and the iTunes sync, that was how photos were expected to be loaded on.
--
Michael

Old November 2nd 12, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

there's nothing to activate. the camera roll is always there. it's
where photos taken by the built-in camera, imported photos and screen
shots go.

Apparently it is not where image files imported via the Apple "Connect
Kit" go. This I have seen for myself.

internally, it's called the camera roll, which is sometimes called
saved photos if the device lacks a camera.

apple calls it the camera roll when discussing importing them:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
After your photos have been imported from your Camera Roll or Saved
Photos, you can use iTunes to sync them back to your device.

the last import and all imports albums are maintained by the photos
app. other ios apps only see the camera roll, as does a computer.

if an ios app wants photos imported from a card, screen shots and
photos taken with the device, then it specifies the camera roll, versus
the photo library or camera itself.

http://developer.apple.com/library/i...t/reference/UI
ImagePickerController_Class/UIImagePickerController/UIImagePickerControl
ler.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007070-CH3-DontLinkElementID_2

UIImagePickerControllerSourceTypeSavedPhotosAlbum
Specifies the devicešs Camera Roll album as the source for the image
picker controller. If the device does not have a camera, specifies
the Saved Photos album as the source.
Old November 2nd 12, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Photos imported from an external camera do not go into the camera
roll.

yes they do.

however, the photos app breaks that into last import and all imports.
internally it's the camera roll.

apple calls it the camera roll in discussing how to import them:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
After your photos have been imported from your Camera Roll or Saved
Photos, you can use iTunes to sync them back to your device.

They first go into the 'Last Import' album and are displaced to
'All Imports' by the next import when it occurs.

that's still the camera roll. see above.

on devices that lack an internal camera (older ipod touches, original
ipad), it's called saved photos. the terms are interchangeable.

when you plug an ipad (or other ios device) into a computer, all you
see the camera roll, because it shows up as a camera. you don't see the
rest of the ipad.

You see the lot of them as far as I can tell.

exactly. and that's all you see.

I never had the "Import" albums until I picked up the Connect Kit
yesterday to make that very check.

that's a subset of the camera roll.

Nope. It's separate.

no it's not separate. see above.

screen shots and the internal camera's photos go into the camera roll
too.

Nope. At least not in my iPad.

then maybe you bought a chinese knock-off clone.
Old November 2nd 12, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

if you go into an apple store, the person who will give you tech
support and help resolve your issue is called an apple genius. that's
their job title.

And are these the people you expect to find the answer on Google?

they rarely need to use google.

Then they aren't the people I described as 'young geeks' and all this
who-hah you stirred up with your use of the word 'genius' has been an
irrelevant waste of time.

then you talked to the wrong people.
Old November 2nd 12, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

Nah, this is not a bash of Apple. Apple pays their people according
to what they're worth. Unless, of course, the people are Chinese.

apple doesn't pay anyone in china. foxconn does. foxconn makes products
for a lot of companies, including the computers you own.

So Apple is copying the sourcing that PC brands use? Shame!

wow. you really don't understand this industry.

furthermore, apple is one of the only companies trying to improve
conditions there, and people line up for those jobs, because they're
*better* than what they can get elsewhere in china.

Logic misfire. If Apple doesn't pay them, then your statement about
Apple trying to improve conditions must be false. Only if Apple has
some say-so in the coolie wages can Apple improve anything. And they
do.

apple pays foxconn, not the individual workers.

apple is a big customer of foxconn.

tim cook has gone to china to visit foxconn more than once to help
improve conditions.

ever see michael dell at foxconn? didn't think so.
Old November 2nd 12, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

it's a progress bar of the copy in progress, with a checkbox to delete
the photos after the copy completes.

click the checkbox and the photos are deleted, what you originally
wanted.

Aah. I thought it had started iTunes which then locked up and froze.

Now, lets back up a bit. That URL is a screen shot of ... what? ...
running on what machine?

it's a screen shot of what happens when copying photos on a windows 7
or vista system.

more he
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
Old November 2nd 12, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

the discussion was about the file system and how it's eventually going
to go away for the vast majority of use cases.

lightroom is a very good example of that, especially since it's not
from apple.

nowhere have i said you had to buy lightroom to import or delete photos
from an iphone, ipad or ipod touch. what i have said is that lightroom
is a great app for managing photos and you can use it to import and/or
delete photos, but you can also use other software too.

Adobe must have
built something Apple-centric into Lightroom.

they didn't.

lightroom imports from cameras. the ipad shows up as a camera. nothing
more than that.

easy to test: install lightroom 1.0 (released january, 2007), which
predates the ipad by several years and in fact, predates all ios
devices. lightroom 1.0 will import the photos from an ipad, iphone or
ipod touch, any generation. i've done it.

there is no apple-centric code for connecting with ipads in lightroom
or other third party software. there doesn't need to be.

Paintshop Pro, Nikon ViewNX and Capture NX2 are all designed only for
windows and none of them can find the DCIM directory in the iPad.

then something else is going on with your system. the ipad shows up as
a standard camera.

Windows Explorer (7) can look into the DCIM directory but the images
it finds are in peculiarly named subdirectories and are presented in a
fuzzy caricature of what might really be there. I was able to find a
plugin for Windows Explorer 7 to enable it to properly open Nikon NEF
files but so far I haven't been able to find one that does the same
thing for iPad JPGs.

they're standard jpegs.

At the moment I'm still stuck with wanting to do it in the iPad.

the best you can do is drag-select multiple images, but doing so with
1000s of them will not be particularly efficient. it's marginally
better than individual selection.
Old November 2nd 12, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-11-01 19:33:39 -0700, Rich said:

PeterN wrote in news:5092ede9$0$15615
:

On 10/30/2012 12:07 AM, Savageduck wrote:

Eric Stevens

Ask Siri. HAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!

Idiot!

that's stating the obvious.

Applesheep.

Says the Canuck techno-bigot to one Apple user and one Windows user.
There is a non-OS consensus here.

Savageduck