Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi

Old January 1st 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Pawlicki

Default Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi

Will the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi recognize and use all of a 16 GB
CompactFlash card? Or are there some limitations.

Thanks
Old January 1st 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
the_niner_nation

"John Pawlicki" wrote in message
news
Will the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi recognize and use all of a 16 GB
CompactFlash card? Or are there some limitations.

Thanks

why one arth would anyone want to use a 16gb memory card? your card gets
coirrupted, youre screwed, you lose everyhting!

I don't think the camera has the capacity to format a card of that capacity

Old January 1st 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
default

"John Pawlicki" wrote in message
news
Will the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi recognize and use all of a 16 GB
CompactFlash card? Or are there some limitations.

I use a Sandisk 16GB card with my XTi and it works great and will format it
to full capacity. Make sure your firmware is up to date in the camera
(V1.11 as of now).

The Rebel XT can use it too if I format it in the XTi first. The Rebel XT
will only format it to 8GB. I phoned Canon and they suggested to send the
camera and card in for repair. I really don't think there is anything wrong
with the camera.

Old January 1st 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
default

"the_niner_nation" wrote in message
.. .
why one arth would anyone want to use a 16gb memory card? your card gets
coirrupted, youre screwed, you lose everyhting!

I don't think the camera has the capacity to format a card of that
capacity

The Canon Rebel XTi can format it just fine to full capacity with current
firmware.

Multiple smaller cards increases the chance of a failure by the number of
cards if they are all equally likely to fail, just like a two engine
aircraft is twice as likely to have an engine failure as a single engine
aircraft since there are two to fail.

The large card argument is really silly. Three years ago people said not to
get 2GB cards because it is too much to lose, use multiple 512s or 256s etc.
Now they say to get eight 2GB cards instead of one 16GB card. Next year
they will say to get multiple 16GB cards instead of one 100GB card etc. If
it won't be too big in two years, it is good now too. My 2GB cards from
back then are still working great.

Or buy multiple 16GB cards and rotate them for each shot. Isn't that better
than 4 2GB cards? Right now flash is less than $10/GB, buy lots.

Old January 2nd 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article JcAej.64413$vd4.46855@pd7urf1no, default
wrote:

Multiple smaller cards increases the chance of a failure by the number of
cards if they are all equally likely to fail, just like a two engine
aircraft is twice as likely to have an engine failure as a single engine
aircraft since there are two to fail.

there's also the chance of physically losing one.

The large card argument is really silly. Three years ago people said not to
get 2GB cards because it is too much to lose, use multiple 512s or 256s etc.

and before that, they said don't get the 512s, stick with a bunch of
64s or 128s.

Or buy multiple 16GB cards and rotate them for each shot. Isn't that better
than 4 2GB cards? Right now flash is less than $10/GB, buy lots.

some cameras have twin slots, such as the nikon d3. write each photo
to two cards at once, and if one fails, you have the other.
Old January 2nd 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 23:41:29 GMT, "default" wrote:
:
: "the_niner_nation" wrote in message
: .. .
[...]

By far the greatest risk is that you'll lose the card or accidentally
overwrite it. The most important thing you can do is to get your pictures onto
a computer and backed up as soon as possible.

Bob
Old January 2nd 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Philippe

Robert Coe wrote:
[...]

Agreed... Though I prefer smaller cards (2-4 gig), The bottom line is
you want a good card, a couple of spares and a way to off-load 'em as
soon as possible once the shoot is done.

P.
Old January 2nd 08, 07:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dave[_6_]

By far the greatest risk is that you'll lose the card or accidentally
overwrite it. The most important thing you can do is to get your pictures
onto
a computer and backed up as soon as possible.

Bob

very well said

DAVE
Bristol UK
http://djmp.co.uk/slr/

Old January 2nd 08, 08:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

On "the_niner_nation" wrote:

"John Pawlicki" wrote in message
news
Will the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi recognize and use all of a 16 GB
CompactFlash card? Or are there some limitations.

Thanks

why one arth would anyone want to use a 16gb memory card? your card gets
coirrupted, youre screwed, you lose everyhting!

Well, guess what, there are people who don't keep all their photos on the
memory card but move them to a computer every now and then.
A very easy tactic to prevent "loosing everything".

I don't think the camera has the capacity to format a card of that capacity

There is no implied limit anywhere in the CF specification, therefore it
would be an odd limitation if canon cameras would not be able to format such
a card.

jue
Old January 2nd 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

"John Pawlicki" wrote in message
news
Will the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi recognize and use all of a 16 GB
CompactFlash card? Or are there some limitations.

Thanks

John,
I believe the XTi can handle those cards while the XT didn't.
Marcel