New Nikon Lens?

Old November 20th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
default

Default New Nikon Lens?

http://www.nikonusa.com/large.php?productNr=2176

Old November 20th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

default wrote:
http://www.nikonusa.com/large.php?productNr=2176

I was about to write
"Not exactly. Has been around as the kit lens for the D40 as long as the D40
has been around which is over a year."

However, that "VR" sticker certainly doesn't belong on that kit lens
(productNr=2170). Good catch.

jue

Old November 20th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article ZOt0j.5236$701.684@trndny08, Jürgen Exner
wrote:

default wrote:
http://www.nikonusa.com/large.php?productNr=2176

I was about to write
"Not exactly. Has been around as the kit lens for the D40 as long as the D40
has been around which is over a year."

However, that "VR" sticker certainly doesn't belong on that kit lens
(productNr=2170). Good catch.

looks like it's true:
http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...x_18-55mmf_35-
56g_vr/index.htm

and the previous version:
http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...x_zoom18-55mmf
_35-56g_ed_2/index.htm
Old November 20th 07, 06:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

default wrote:
http://www.nikonusa.com/large.php?productNr=2176

Curious.
VR on a cheap consumer lens.
No VR on a new pro-quality Fx format lens of similar focal
length equivalent range, costing about 10 times more.
Did they not think pros could be so easily fooled?
Old November 20th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

default wrote:
http://www.nikonusa.com/large.php?productNr=2176

Good news, if the price is right. The high mark-up on VR lenses will
become more difficult to justify, and will make Nikon kit more attractive,
and maybe force down VR/IS prices on other brands.

David

Old November 20th 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Serge Desplanques

On 2007-11-20 00:20:38 -0700, "David J Taylor"
said:

default wrote:
http://www.nikonusa.com/large.php?productNr=2176

Good news, if the price is right. The high mark-up on VR lenses will
become more difficult to justify, and will make Nikon kit more
attractive, and maybe force down VR/IS prices on other brands.

David

bad news for me, as I already have about three too many midrange zooms,
and I doubt I'll be able to resist a VR lens for two hundred bucks...
--
"Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know."

Old November 20th 07, 11:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
frederick wrote:

http://www.nikonusa.com/large.php?productNr=2176

Curious.
VR on a cheap consumer lens.

At that focal length VR is nothing more than a marketing gimmick
since it doesn't add any benefit to lenses of 50mm and wider.

[]
Rita

Whether it adds benefit or not depends, at least to some extent, on your
ability to hold a 50mm lens steady in the first place. Even if one is
steady in normal circumstances, it may be that the motion of the platform
(train, boat or plane) is such that you do actually see a benefit. Some
people find it helps their church photography, and places where tripods
are not permitted.

Cheers,
David

Old November 20th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2007-11-20 03:32:38 -0800, Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com said:

frederick wrote:

http://www.nikonusa.com/large.php?productNr=2176

Curious.
VR on a cheap consumer lens.

At that focal length VR is nothing more than a marketing gimmick since it
doesn't add any benefit to lenses of 50mm and wider.

No VR on a new pro-quality Fx format lens of similar focal
length equivalent range, costing about 10 times more.
Did they not think pros could be so easily fooled?

No, Nikon realized that pros know how to use their equipment and aren't
easily duped into thinking they need VR. The 24-70/2.8 is perfect example
of this. This lens is to replace the 28-70/2.8 that also didn't have VR.
If VR had any real world benefit in this focal range Nikon would have put it
in the 24-70/2.8. I'm so glad they didn't.

You are a tiny minority. Most pro reviewers have complained long and
loud about the absence of VR on the new lenses.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old November 20th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
just bob

"default" wrote in message
http://www.nikonusa.com/large.php?productNr=2176

Looks like it has a front rotating element, no?

Saw it referred to as a "kit" lens. Isn't that moniker reserved for lenses
sold in a "kit"?

Old November 20th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"just bob" kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote in message

"default" wrote in message
http://www.nikonusa.com/large.php?productNr=2176

Looks like it has a front rotating element, no?

Saw it referred to as a "kit" lens. Isn't that moniker reserved for
lenses sold in a "kit"?

According to Nikon USA the D40 Kit comes with an 18-55mm Lens. Does
not say VR.
Nikon lists a new lens in their collection of VR's as a new 18-55mm VR