Zeiss, Leica better watch out!

Old March 12th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Zeiss, Leica better watch out!

More from Samsung on their 10M cellphone cam:

"We have many researchers who are specialized in optical science and
they will help us catch up with famous optic technology firms such as
Carl Zeiss and Schneider soon."

From:
http://www.estiasis.com/modules.php?...rticle&sid=706
Old March 12th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Rich" wrote in message
More from Samsung on their 10M cellphone cam:

"We have many researchers who are specialized in optical science and
they will help us catch up with famous optic technology firms such as
Carl Zeiss and Schneider soon."

From:
http://www.estiasis.com/modules.php?...rticle&sid=706

Odd comment, as Samsung owns Schneider!

Old March 12th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

That explains why Schneider-branded Kodak P&S lenses don't seem to work
very well.

Old March 12th 06, 08:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Rich" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
More from Samsung on their 10M cellphone cam:

"We have many researchers who are specialized in optical science and
they will help us catch up with famous optic technology firms such as
Carl Zeiss and Schneider soon."

From:
http://www.estiasis.com/modules.php?...rticle&sid=706

Three interesting points I've seen about this article...
1. some fair fraction (half?) of _managers_ at a firm that made some of the
articles studied were not able to invoke some of the features... the
functionality was buried in some obscure menu, labeled impossibly or
whatever. So the manager, like the user, sensibly just gave up.
..
2. Owners may have either buyers' remorse or have gotten the item on impulse
or as a wrongheaded gift. Or maybe they are just overwhelmed by its
complexity. They can either keep the damn thing, or claim that it's busted
even if they don't really believe that. Many shops don't offer "no
questions" returns in a week, so this is the consumer's out.
..
3. If manufacturers would treat their little gems as tangible manifestations
of services, they might look at the question of whether a product "works"
through the lens of Total User Experience. In that, a user can find his/her
way to get anything likely done relatively painlessly, and frequent tasks
are quick & easy. My RAZR is a perfect counter-example: scrolling thru the
address book requires toggling number-by-number (not name by name; many of
my hundreds of business & personal contacts have multiple numbers; each gets
its own line) with no direct access other than the first letter of a name.
..
Worse than any other Moto phone I've seen. Far worse than the Sony/Ericcson
it replaced. They coulda spent a few grand on Ask Tog, but must've cheaped
out.

Old March 12th 06, 10:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Rich wrote:
More from Samsung on their 10M cellphone cam:

"We have many researchers who are specialized in optical science and
they will help us catch up with famous optic technology firms such as
Carl Zeiss and Schneider soon."

From:
http://www.estiasis.com/modules.php?...rticle&sid=706

Looking for a camera (digital SLR) which has a good cellphone built in,
preferably a satellite model. Since I can buy gas (petrol) at the
supermarket, I might as well do my grocery shopping at the filling station,
and apply for a passport from my doctor.

Is this what is laughingly called marketing?

Dennis.

Old March 12th 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Rich" wrote in message
More from Samsung on their 10M cellphone cam:

"We have many researchers who are specialized in optical science and
they will help us catch up with famous optic technology firms such as
Carl Zeiss and Schneider soon."

From:
http://www.estiasis.com/modules.php?...rticle&sid=706

Well, what else would they say.

It might be their intention, but there is an old saying about good
intentions and the road to hell.

Are they actually admitting that their current "Camera Phones" or "Phone
Cameras" are lacking in image quality. It would be nice if they did

It sounds much more like just another marketing ploy. They will continue to
insist that they can produce good quality images from these devices, and
more of the "Must Have Tecchies" out there will believe them, even though
the images remain low quality crap. Most of the public can't tell the
difference between good quality still images and crap.

There is a lot more to producing a good quality image than just throwing
large numbers of pixels into the equation. They will need to make the
physcal thickness of phones much larger, before they ever have any chance of
producing any sort of reasonable quality still images.

Video might well be very different, because the actual quality of each
individual frame is much less important.

Roy G

Old March 12th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Rich writes:

"We have many researchers who are specialized in optical science and
they will help us catch up with famous optic technology firms such as
Carl Zeiss and Schneider soon."

I thought that no material object could exceed the speed of light.

Old March 12th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

From:
http://www.estiasis.com/modules.php?...rticle&sid=706

Looking for a camera (digital SLR) which has a good cellphone built in,
preferably a satellite model.

Bought one of those. What I really hate about it is when I misdial and
zoom lens comes out and pokes me in the ear

jpc
Old March 13th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

From:
http://www.estiasis.com/modules.php?...rticle&sid=706

Looking for a camera (digital SLR) which has a good cellphone built in,
preferably a satellite model.

Bought one of those. What I really hate about it is when I misdial and
zoom lens comes out and pokes me in the ear

You'll get people talking if it happens in your pocket...
Old March 14th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Rich wrote:
More from Samsung on their 10M cellphone cam:

"We have many researchers who are specialized in optical science and
they will help us catch up with famous optic technology firms such as
Carl Zeiss and Schneider soon."

Mm, if their cameras as as good as their cell phones, then I'll continue
to own neither from Samsung, anytime soon.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.