Sad news for film-based photography

Old September 22nd 04, 07:52 PM
Jer

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Jeremy" wrote

THE longest-lasting archival system still appears to be good old Microfilm!

Nope. Ochre, chalk and charcoal on a cave wall.

What would be the ideal dpi setting on the chalk sticks for best viewing
in candlelight? or is that what the charcoal's for? (I'm so confused)

Papyrus works pretty well.

Doesn't the UV from the candlelight fade after a coupla thousand years?

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

Old September 22nd 04, 07:52 PM
Tom

"Böwzér" wrote in message
This is total BS...

"Ronald Shu" wrote in message
Aavo Koort, the president of Channel City Camera Club sent a message to
all members about the future of film-based photography. It is a very
interesting article, pretty sad though. Please read on. Your
feedback/input are welcome.

But then this from today's news would seem to support somewhat, the original
poster's point....

finance home | finance my way | my portfolio | markets
| news | research
Top Business . Markets . Analyst News . Technology News .
Press Releases . By Industry

Digital Driving Kodak, Shares Up

Wednesday September 22, 10:31 AM EDT

By Franklin Paul

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Eastman Kodak Co. (EK) on Wednesday
raised its growth forecast on digital products and services, the areas the
photography company is depending on to offset a rapid decline in its
traditional film business.

Kodak, whose shares were up 3.5 percent, said digital
products will account for more than half of its total sales next year. The
forecast comes one year after the company disclosed a controversial plan to
slash investment in film products by selling units and cutting up to 15,000
jobs by 2006.

Kodak's chairman and chief executive, Daniel Carp, said
the Rochester, New York-based company will cut spending in the film business
even more if the decline gets worse.

The reductions "are key to driving the cash out of that
piece to reinvest in the digital businesses as we go through this
transition," Carp said.

Kodak, the world's largest maker of photographic film,
said it expects sales of digital products and services, including cameras
and medical imaging, to increase 36 percent a year between 2003 and 2007.
That compares with an earlier forecast of 26 percent.

The company also backed its near and long-term profit
forecasts. Its operating earnings target is $3 per share on sales of $16
billion in 2006.

It sees earnings from continuing operations, excluding
special items, of $1.25 to $1.55 per share for the final two quarters of the
year. It expects net earnings of $1.71 to $2.01 per share.

Wall Street analysts expect earnings, excluding special
items, of 71 cents a share in the third quarter and 69 cents a share in the
fourth quarter, according to Reuters Estimates.

For the period 2003 to 2007, the company projects total
revenue growing at an annual rate of 7 percent to 8 percent.

Kodak's sweeping restructuring was brought on by the fast
rise of digital cameras, which use no film and can be viewed on a screen,
thereby requiring neither Kodak's processing or paper products.

Some Wall Street analysts still warn that the decline in
consumer demand for film, which is still Kodak's top generator of revenue,
may occur faster than Kodak can develop its digital offerings.

But investors have warmed to Kodak, whose stock recently
rose to its highest level since January 2003. The stock climbed $1.11, or
3.5 percent, to $32.78 in morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

©2004 Reuters Limited.
related quotes

Symbol Last Trade Change
EK
32.50
+0.83

related stories

· U.S. stocks tumble on spike in oil,
earnings concerns - (CBSMarke****ch) - [External]
· Kodak Expects Its Digital Sales to Grow -
(AP Online)
· Updates, advisories and surprises -
(CBSMarke****ch) - [External]
More...

Attached Images
File Type: gif bus.gif (447 Bytes, 230 views)
Old September 22nd 04, 07:52 PM
Tom

"Böwzér" wrote in message
This is total BS...

"Ronald Shu" wrote in message
> [...]

thereby requiring neither Kodak's processing or paper products.

Some Wall Street analysts still warn that the decline in
consumer demand for film, which is still Kodak's top generator of revenue,
may occur faster than Kodak can develop its digital offerings.

But investors have warmed to Kodak, whose stock recently
rose to its highest level since January 2003. The stock climbed $1.11, or
3.5 percent, to $32.78 in morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

©2004 Reuters Limited.
related quotes

Symbol Last Trade Change
EK
32.50
+0.83

related stories

· U.S. stocks tumble on spike in oil,
earnings concerns - (CBSMarke****ch) - [External]
· Kodak Expects Its Digital Sales to Grow -

File Type: gif bus.gif (447 Bytes, 231 views)
Old September 22nd 04, 07:52 PM
Tom

"Böwzér" wrote in message
This is total BS...

"Ronald Shu" wrote in message
> [...]

thereby requiring neither Kodak's processing or paper products.

Some Wall Street analysts still warn that the decline in
consumer demand for film, which is still Kodak's top generator of revenue,
may occur faster than Kodak can develop its digital offerings.

But investors have warmed to Kodak, whose stock recently
rose to its highest level since January 2003. The stock climbed $1.11, or
3.5 percent, to $32.78 in morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

©2004 Reuters Limited.
related quotes

Symbol Last Trade Change
EK
32.50
+0.83

related stories

· U.S. stocks tumble on spike in oil,
earnings concerns - (CBSMarke****ch) - [External]
· Kodak Expects Its Digital Sales to Grow -

File Type: gif bus.gif (447 Bytes, 224 views)
Old September 22nd 04, 09:10 PM
Gregory Blank

Don't know, don't care....try posting the question
to some other NG where it might be on topic. It is not here.

In article ,
"Joseph Kewfi" wrote:

Well.....The bombs have to fall somewhere.....

What is it with you Americans and your bombs?

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 22nd 04, 10:32 PM
Bandicoot

"Michael R. Lachance" wrote in message
link.net...
what the hell does this nonsense have to do with this NG? " Sad news

for
film-based photography"

Absolutely nothing - and so what? If you don't like the thread, don't read
it.

No, I don't want the newsgroup to go wildly OT all the time, and I certainly
don't want it to fill with flame wars. But a newsgroup is like a party:
we've all come together because we have some shared interests, and some of
us are here hoping to get answers from other people who we expect to have
come to the party too. Once we are all together, now and again some of us
find we have some other shared interests too, and we break away from the
main group and talk about them for a while before drifting back to the
majority topic. That's how friendly conversation works, and now and again
it's a good thing.

Peter

Old September 22nd 04, 10:49 PM
Atomic Sub Committee

Or someone gets PO'd and kill files you. & Why is the original thread
crossposted.