upsizing a cell phone photo?

Old June 24th 08, 06:07 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Jake

Default upsizing a cell phone photo?

Another alternative is to cheat by putting a border around it.

"Chris Pisarra" wrote in message
. ..
Help!

The bad part about being even marginally capable with a camera and
computer is that my friends think I'm a wizard--which I most certainly am
not.

So my buddy sends me a photo from his cell phone of his 95 year old
mother and his 1 year old grandson--and wants me to get great prints for
him.

I cleaned up the jpg as best I could, but it's still too tiny to get a
decent print from. Does anyone have any experience trying upsizing
software on these little bitty jpegs? I don't expect even a good 5 x 7,
but I'd sure love to be able to get him a decent 4 x 6 print.

Any ideas? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

Old June 24th 08, 10:31 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Tony B

stuseven wrote:

well, I went looking... I usually dont frequent cell phone photo
galleries...
however, of what I have seen, there are very few cell phone pictures
from which a decent print cant be made.

I use my phone camera more than I should; it's with me a lot and it's
unobtrusive and ubiquitous - no-one gets worried about phone cams.

Some of my flikr images are off the phone (Sony Ericsson 3.2mp) and look
OK on the www, although I have never printed any of them...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2261567...33576/sizes/l/

I actually really like phone cameras, they have got lots of people
making pictures that would not have made them otherwise. A truly
democratic medium - the new Kodak?

Old June 24th 08, 10:50 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Chris Pisarra

"Tony B" wrote in message
stuseven wrote:

well, I went looking... I usually dont frequent cell phone photo
galleries...
however, of what I have seen, there are very few cell phone pictures
from which a decent print cant be made.

I use my phone camera more than I should; it's with me a lot and it's
unobtrusive and ubiquitous - no-one gets worried about phone cams.

Some of my flikr images are off the phone (Sony Ericsson 3.2mp) and look
OK on the www, although I have never printed any of them...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2261567...33576/sizes/l/

I actually really like phone cameras, they have got lots of people making
pictures that would not have made them otherwise. A truly democratic
medium - the new Kodak?

That's a pretty darned impressive photo for a cell phone.

Chris

Old June 24th 08, 11:11 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Jer

Chris Pisarra wrote:

"Tony B" wrote in message
stuseven wrote:

well, I went looking... I usually dont frequent cell phone photo
galleries...
however, of what I have seen, there are very few cell phone pictures
from which a decent print cant be made.

I use my phone camera more than I should; it's with me a lot and it's
unobtrusive and ubiquitous - no-one gets worried about phone cams.

Some of my flikr images are off the phone (Sony Ericsson 3.2mp) and
look OK on the www, although I have never printed any of them...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2261567...33576/sizes/l/

I actually really like phone cameras, they have got lots of people
making pictures that would not have made them otherwise. A truly
democratic medium - the new Kodak?

That's a pretty darned impressive photo for a cell phone.

Chris

Yeah, for a cell phone, it's one of the better ones - except for the
oddity of capturing images of brick walls in portrait mode.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old June 24th 08, 11:13 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Charles[_2_]

"Chris Pisarra" wrote in message
. ..
Help!

The bad part about being even marginally capable with a camera and
computer is that my friends think I'm a wizard--which I most certainly am
not.

So my buddy sends me a photo from his cell phone of his 95 year old
mother and his 1 year old grandson--and wants me to get great prints for
him.

I cleaned up the jpg as best I could, but it's still too tiny to get a
decent print from. Does anyone have any experience trying upsizing
software on these little bitty jpegs? I don't expect even a good 5 x 7,
but I'd sure love to be able to get him a decent 4 x 6 print.

Any ideas? Any suggestions?

How was the file transferred to you? Is the original still available? Is
it in focus with decent exposure?

I have seen some darned good photos taken by cell phones that would easily
print nicely at 5 x 7.

Old June 24th 08, 11:38 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Tony B wrote:

I use my phone camera more than I should; it's with me a lot and it's
unobtrusive and ubiquitous - no-one gets worried about phone cams.

Some of my flikr images are off the phone (Sony Ericsson 3.2mp) and look
OK on the www, although I have never printed any of them...

I've never used a cell phone cam ... in fact, I've only used a friend's
cell phone, and only once.

How big are the sensors on these gizmos, and what is the 35mm equivalent
focal length of the lens?

Doug McDonald
Old June 24th 08, 11:58 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Chris Pisarra wrote:
Help!

The bad part about being even marginally capable with a camera
and computer is that my friends think I'm a wizard--which I most
certainly am not.

So my buddy sends me a photo from his cell phone of his 95 year old
mother and his 1 year old grandson--and wants me to get great prints for
him.

I cleaned up the jpg as best I could, but it's still too tiny to get
a decent print from. Does anyone have any experience trying upsizing
software on these little bitty jpegs? I don't expect even a good 5 x 7,
but I'd sure love to be able to get him a decent 4 x 6 print.

Any ideas? Any suggestions?

Print it small with a nice matt & frame.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old June 25th 08, 02:37 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
dj_nme[_2_]

Chris Pisarra wrote:
snip

Any ideas? Any suggestions?

For the picture you've got now, there isn't a great deal more you can do
to clean it up.

It depends on how the picture was sent to you.
If it was sent as an MMS or PXT (multimedia SMS) message, then it would
have been automatically resampled and sent at 640x480 (VGA resolution)
regardless of the sensor in the sender's phone and that's one of t the
limitations of the MMS/PXT messaging system.
If the picture was sent via an email message from their phone, then it
could be sent at the full resolution that the camera in the phone is set
to (just like email from any other computer).
If you received it as an email, but with a "from" address that looks a
bit like [PXT from +0155530145], then it's a multimedia SMS sent to
email and is under the same 640x480 limit as phone to phone sending.

It would be better if your buddy could download the picture from his
phone to his computer (via data cable, bluetooth or card reader) at full
resolution and then email it to you as an ordinary attachment.

Then you'd have the best picture to start tweaking.
Old June 25th 08, 07:08 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Tony B

Jer wrote:
except for the oddity of capturing images of brick walls in portrait mode.

works though, n'est pas? Composition is in the eye of the beholder and
all that. It's what's outside the frame, there's the first decision...

Each to their own though eh. Anyway, I LIKE oddities!

;-)

Old June 25th 08, 07:36 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Tony B

lid wrote:

How big are the sensors on these gizmos, and what is the 35mm equivalent
focal length of the lens?

Sony Ericsson K810i:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...ications/k810i

3.2mp sensor, auto focus, image stabilisation, xenon flash, burst mode,
macro, various scene modes, a good attempt at camera-like ergonomics for
the buttons, removable memory cards (M2 cards, I use a 4gb) what's not
to like? Best thing is, the price - at least here in UK, they are
available free on contract. who needs a point-and-shoot? There is a 5mp
version available now too. Oh, and they are small, discreet, batteries
are cheap and hold loads of charge...

Dunno who makes the lens, probably the same people that make lenses for
Sony cameras? It's marked up on front 1-5.2mm and 1:2.8 but not knowing
the sensor dimensions (after looking a fair bit) I have no clue as to
35mm equivalence. It's got x3 optical zoom though, and a radio,
bluetooth, blog upload feature, mp3 player....

Seriously, these phones are getting good at taking pictures and they
will only get better.

Just get the cell phone with the best camera on it, for point and shoot
why not?