End of Daylight Time in US: Have you changed your camera clocks?

Old October 30th 05, 05:59 AM
Frank ess

Default End of Daylight Time in US: Have you changed your camera clocks?

Gary Edstrom wrote:
For those of you who like to have correct time stamps on your
pictures, remember to set the clock in your still and/or video
camera
to the correct time.

Other clocks to consider:

Kitchen Stove - Answering Machine - Still Camera - Video Camera
VCR - Car - Cell Phone - PDA - Microwave - Watch - FAX Machine
Central Air Conditioning - GPS

Gary

DISCLAIMER: 1. Yes, I know that I could keep my camera on GMT so
that
I would never have to adjust it, but it's too much of a hassle to
mentally convert GMT to local time every time I look at the picture.
2. Yes, I now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you
going to do? We have it here! 3. Yes, I know that some electronic
items will automatically adjust to standard time, but not all of us
have the latest and greatest gadgets! 4. Yes, I know that Arizona
doesn't have Daylight time.

Our local KenAndBarbie TV news readers always recommend changing your
smoke detector batteries at this juncture; not a bad idea. Back in the
days of _real_ photography I used to change my AE1, AE1P, A1, and F1N
batteries, too.

--
Frank ess

Old October 30th 05, 07:46 AM
ASAAR

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:59:53 -0700, Frank ess wrote:

2. Yes, I now that daylight time is a dumb idea, but what are you
going to do? We have it here! 3. Yes, I know that some electronic
items will automatically adjust to standard time, but not all of us
have the latest and greatest gadgets! 4. Yes, I know that Arizona
doesn't have Daylight time.

Our local KenAndBarbie TV news readers always recommend changing
your smoke detector batteries at this juncture; not a bad idea.

It's a bad idea for me and probably for most people unless their
smoke detectors differ from the ones I've seen. The batteries last
from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years, so changing them every 6 months wastes
most of the battery power. Once (and there's no chance I'll ever
repeat this) I ignored a smoke detector's low battery warning, which
was a quick chirp every couple of minutes. After more than 6 months
of chirping I gave up and replaced the battery. I'm sure that there
are a good number of stubborn oldtimers that refuse to let others
change the batteries for them and have fallen and broken bones while
trying to get at the batteries of ceiling mounted smoke detectors.
For them, changing batteries too often, before they haven't really
run down might be more hazardous than not having a smoke detector at
all. Better to choose another less frequently recurring event. If
Punxatawney Phil sees his shadow, *then* change the batteries.

Old October 30th 05, 08:56 AM
Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:
[...]

One of mine is 'line powered', per local codes, and the other is
directly behind me as I sit at the computer. NOT POSSIBLE to ignore the
beeps every 15 minutes! I change it when it beeps. BTW, being one of
those old people, it is mounted on the wall near the ceiling, and I can
reach it without climbing on anything (which I HATE doing).

--
Ron Hunter
Old October 30th 05, 10:21 AM
ASAAR

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:56:18 -0600, Ron, the ancient Hunter and
Battery Gatherer wrote:

One of mine is 'line powered', per local codes, and the other is
directly behind me as I sit at the computer. NOT POSSIBLE to ignore
the beeps every 15 minutes! I change it when it beeps.

Mine chirped about every 5 minutes and was fairly easy to ignore.
Moderate high frequency hearing loss has some advantages.

BTW, being one of those old people, it is mounted on the wall near
the ceiling, and I can reach it without climbing on anything (which I
HATE doing).

I have to climb onto something to reach the bleeping beeper and a
lightweight ladder is a big help. Seemingly sturdy chairs and
stools can be treacherous.

Old October 30th 05, 11:08 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"ASAAR" wrote in message

Our local KenAndBarbie TV news readers always recommend changing
your smoke detector batteries at this juncture; not a bad idea.

It's a bad idea for me and probably for most people unless their
smoke detectors differ from the ones I've seen. The batteries last
from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years, so changing them every 6 months wastes
most of the battery power.

Here in West Oz the authorities have taken to advertising for people to
change the batteries on 1 April each year!

Gerrit - Oz

Old October 30th 05, 12:38 PM
Bruce Coryell

Frank ess wrote:
Gary Edstrom wrote:

[...]

One more fillip: The whole daylight savings time shebang changes in
2007 when the energy savings bill goes into effect. I just leave my
digicams on EST all year long. Windoze makes the time change
automatically, but Linux doesn't, so I have to change my Linux box
manually.
Old October 30th 05, 02:07 PM
Bill Funk

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:46:17 -0500, ASAAR wrote:

[...]

I do it every year at Christmas time.
I see it as a Christmas present for them. :-)

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old October 30th 05, 02:22 PM
Bill Funk

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 08:49:32 -0800, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Ron Hunter:
One of mine is 'line powered', per local codes,

Reminds me of the hardwired communication system one of my former employers
relied on to relay instructions to people in the event the building went up in
flames. Just couldn't make them understand that trying to use something that
depends on the integrity of the building was a bad idea for situations where the
integrity of the building was inherently in doubt.

Line-powered smoke detectors in the US also have batteries (the ones I
have use 9v batteries).
I have 2 of them, and they get their batteries changed along with the
battery-powered ones.

Old October 30th 05, 02:42 PM
George

Bruce Coryell wrote:

One more fillip: The whole daylight savings time shebang changes in
2007 when the energy savings bill goes into effect. I just leave my
digicams on EST all year long. Windoze makes the time change
automatically, but Linux doesn't, so I have to change my Linux box
manually.

It should, I have a PVR and a "general purpose" box both running on
Linux and they changed the time without any intervention.
Old October 30th 05, 03:13 PM
ASAAR

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:08:16 +0800, Gerrit 't Hart wrote:

It's a bad idea for me and probably for most people unless their
smoke detectors differ from the ones I've seen. The batteries last
from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years, so changing them every 6 months wastes
most of the battery power.

Here in West Oz the authorities have taken to advertising for people to
change the batteries on 1 April each year!

Despite that chosen day, we remain more foolish. I still
wonder why those reminders are made, since I'm not aware of any
smoke alarms that don't give at least weeks (more likely months)
advance notice that the battery needs to be changed. Maybe it's
just news broadcasters, politicians and other authorities seeking
ways to show that they're not as useless and we know they are!