Query: Inserting pictures in email

Old October 23rd 04, 06:44 AM
MB_

Default Query: Inserting pictures in email

OK, I'm still a newbie with this. I just got a Canon A75.
I can take a picture and store it on my computer.

Now, I want to insert it into an email (not as a file attachment).

I can do this, but it seems to take up way too much of the screen; the
picture is way too large. Now, I can sometimes find the corners and shrink
it, but it is hard to do it right. Is there a way to copy a picture from one
of the picture software programs into my email and have it paste there at
the same size it is in the program.

(I hope this makes sense. Perhaps a better way is to say how can I get a
picture to fit in an email centered in the email space in perhaps a 4" by 5"
space).

MB

Old October 23rd 04, 07:24 AM
Mike

I'd recommend ACDSEE for this - it is good at emailing pictures and gives
you the option of choosing a picture size.

Old October 23rd 04, 07:46 AM
Harvey

"MB_" wrote in message
OK, I'm still a newbie with this. I just got a Canon A75.
I can take a picture and store it on my computer.

Now, I want to insert it into an email (not as a file attachment).

I can do this, but it seems to take up way too much of the screen; the
picture is way too large. Now, I can sometimes find the corners and shrink
it, but it is hard to do it right. Is there a way to copy a picture from
one of the picture software programs into my email and have it paste there
at the same size it is in the program.

(I hope this makes sense. Perhaps a better way is to say how can I get a
picture to fit in an email centered in the email space in perhaps a 4" by
5" space).

MB

You just need the right software. Microsoft Picture It! Publishing works
well to pull up those large image files and compress them to 20k to 40k for
sending in an email.

Old October 23rd 04, 08:31 AM
Matt Ion

MB_ wrote:
OK, I'm still a newbie with this. I just got a Canon A75.
I can take a picture and store it on my computer.

Now, I want to insert it into an email (not as a file attachment).

Unfortunately, as an attachment is the only way you can include a
picture in an email. The trick is in how the receiving mailer handles
it: some will display the picture in-line, some will only let you view
it separately.

I can do this, but it seems to take up way too much of the screen; the
picture is way too large. Now, I can sometimes find the corners and shrink
it, but it is hard to do it right. Is there a way to copy a picture from one
of the picture software programs into my email and have it paste there at
the same size it is in the program.

Someone else suggested ACDSee6 - this program works great for emailing
pictures. One other concern, besides image dimensions, is file size: a
full-size 3MP JPG straight from the camera can be a meg and a half, and
the attachment for it can be up to twice that because of the encoding
process. JPGs from my 6.3MP Digital Rebel run around 3-5MB in size.
Many ISPs do not allow attachments of this size; freebie Hotmail users
are limited to 1MB *total* in their Inboxes: large images often simply
won't get delivered.

With ACDSee6, you can select the maximum size an email can be, and when
sending one or more pictures, it will automatically adjust the size and
compression to make them fit.

Old October 23rd 04, 08:49 AM
Jürgen Eidt

"Matt Ion" schrieb
Unfortunately, as an attachment is the only way you can include a picture
in an email. The trick is in how the receiving mailer handles it: some
will display the picture in-line, some will only let you view it
separately.

Using HTML encoded mail, you actually can insert a picture the same way as
in a web page. Not all EMail readers can use this, but if the recipient is
using a client capable of that its an option.

One other concern, besides image dimensions, is file size: a full-size 3MP
JPG straight from the camera can be a meg and a half, and the attachment
for it can be up to twice that because of the encoding process.

The mime encoding blows up the size by 4/3, but you have a good point.
Sending a 1MB picture will be more than 1MB in transfered size which can
cause some problems due to (inbox) limitations.

--
Regards
Jürgen

http://cpicture.de/en

Old October 23rd 04, 09:12 AM
Matt Ion

Jürgen Eidt wrote:

"Matt Ion" schrieb

Unfortunately, as an attachment is the only way you can include a picture
in an email. The trick is in how the receiving mailer handles it: some
will display the picture in-line, some will only let you view it
separately.

Using HTML encoded mail, you actually can insert a picture the same way as
in a web page. Not all EMail readers can use this, but if the recipient is
using a client capable of that its an option.

It must still encode the file (usually using MIME64) for transfer and
enclose it in the message as an attachment... again, whether it actually
displays inline is dependant on the receiving mailer.

Old October 23rd 04, 01:46 PM
Bill Crocker

If you set your email problem for HTML format, you can take just about any
jpeg picture, cut & paste it, right in your email. For emailing pictures, I
shoot at 1024x768 resolution. If the picture already exist, and it's too
large, I create a copy of it, and downsize it, in my photo editor.

Bill Crocker

Old October 23rd 04, 06:53 PM
MB_

Bill:

Yes I have enabled my OE for HTML format. I can use my photo program to get
the picture the size I want.

But if I save it and then try and INSERT it into my EMAIL as a PICTURE, it
is blown back up. I'm missing something here.

Mel